2 New Builds

f111

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Started a company to target the budget gamers. I think I got pretty much the perfect setup with an e7300 o/c to 3.8 and either a 9800GTX+ or a GTX280. Its just under 1200 so I think thats pretty good.

Now most people here would never actually buy a system since we all build ours (unless you're feeling a little lazy or your time is worth more), so I'm curious what people think of my component choices. I could have saved more money with a cheaper case, but I guess I love the P180 and think its just awesome. What do you guys think?

Yeah, you've got a bit of a problem here. People on forums like this don't normally need your help to build their PCs, and people who do need you don't use the forums much. How are you planning to find customers? Newspaper ads?

BTW, I think the P180 will make it more difficult to sell. You need to consider what your target demographic prefers, not your own preferences. Yes, the P180 is great, I love it too, but something cheaper like the Antec 300 would probably be more successful with budget gamers. Also, if you stick a large video card in a P180 you end up with room for only 3 hard drives, IIRC. That could be fine for most people, but it will cost you some sales anyway.

f111

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Thats an interesting idea...newspapers. Never would have thought of going past internet advertising. I'm using AdWords right now, but its not working as well as I hoped.

I think you're right about that Antec 300 case, it really brings the price down and something I would like to implement soon.

I do wonder where all the gamers that don't know how to build their own rigs are...

coleman

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
i would look at the hd 4850 for buget gamers, thats just my opinion. I also like the antec 300 and think that that would be abetter case for your target market.

I think you have to consider what type of people you are targeting, most people who buy componants like the ones you listed are happy to build thier own systems.

adwords is good but also look at joining other affiliate programs in order to promote your Site/compay more

hope his info helps

3lvis

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008
Of course you know that if you sell the computer commercially your expected to support it too. The main reason why you don't see a niche for budget gamers is because the expense involved with support.

f111

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I would figure support would be minimal with the more technically inclined people right? I mean even if they dont know how to overclock a PC, they're not going to be calling me because they don't know how to plug in a mouse, update a driver, or restart their computer.

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008

+1

Gamers that do their homework will know that P45 chipsets all suck for SLI, however xfire chipsets are good and so an ATI card/xfire chipset will allow them to add another gpu later to the system you build for them. Something to think about.

3lvis

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008
I'm talking about software support. Aren't you including an OS with your computers (its will be hard to sell if you don't include one)? Your gonna end up with people that wanna know why their DVD's don't play, why their computer is so slow, or why their programs don't work. Basically, if your selling to people that can't build their own computer, then your target market is pretty much clueless about Operating Systems.