After market cooler on HD4870's

OMGiTzzFATAL

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2008
Hey guys.
I've got 2 x HD4870's, both have aftermarket coolers on.

1 is a XpertVision Radeon HD4870 Dual edition 512MB

And the other is a Palit Radeon HD4870 Dual edition 512MB

Both these cards have the same cooler(Dual slot cooling solution, with 2 fans and a few heatpipes), But the Xpertvision card is ALOT louder, Maybe its defective or something. but anyways i'm looking to put a new cooler on there so i can keep my sanity.

I have the Akasa AK-VC03-BLUV Vortexx NEO VGA Cooler in mind. I've read that it does a great job of cooling HD4870's, Its quiet and kicks all the hot air out the rear end of your case. :D

But, I've also read that the cooler doesnt cover/cool all the components on the card, I don't think it covers something called MEMIO, I've heard that it can go up 128C before crashing, With my cooler i have now this MEMIO thing gets to 85C under maxuim load with furmark (monitored with GPU-Z)

So my question is: Do i need to aply thermal paste to the part of the GPU that wont have any heatsink on it?. Does thermal paste Cool on its own? Do i need to bye little heatsinks to go on it?.
I guess thats 3 questions >.< :pt1cable:

Any advice would be appreciated. :whistle:

OMGiTzzFATAL

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2008
Cheers for that :D

They say that cool air passes over the voltage regulator area, But is this enough?,
1 guy said in the comments that he's getting some sinks for the Vregs, I think i'll test it out without any on, But should i still apply thermal paste to the vregs???

Newb needs advice

I don`t think they need much cooling, but Rivatuner should tell you the Vreg temperatures, so check before you change the cooler and see how the temperature changes with the replcement.
Only apply thermal paste to components that will have a heatsink attached, and even then, use it sparingly, some are electrically conductive and will cause a short circuit, possibly frying the card.

OMGiTzzFATAL

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2008
Oh dear X__x I wont be using AS5 like i orginally planned then, I'm pretty sure its conductive, I'll just use what they supply, I think its MX-2.

Thanks for your advice, i get the cooler tomorrow, So i'll let you know how i get on

TBH, i'm not even sure if my current cooler cools the Vregs.