falcodakrzz

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
Hey
Basically, heres the problem. I have a saphire 4850, stock cooling, fanspeed at 65% (any higher doesnt really make a difference), and on games, such as medieval total war, it hits 105C! On the catalyst control centre. Its been like this for a few months now, and I dont notice an fps drop, but im wondering just how long it would last at this load temp? My case is a wizard http://www.bossecomputers.com/Product/Case/Cases/DELUXE/WIZARD-350.jpg
so has good airflow (cpu at around 29C).
I attempted to remove the heatsink, but the screws were ridiculously tight and wouldnt budge.
Any advice guys?
Thanks

sixstones

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
Number 1 > no cpu is at 29 unless u use a good Stock cooler or watercooler. Mines ASUS vento ta-m1, and idle temp of my cpu on asus silent knight 2 stock cooler was 45 normal.

number 2 > NEVER to remove the heatsink. NEVER. it may look like an old usless copper tingy but trust me, if u removed that heatsink, say goodbye to ur gpu and make sure theres a fire extinguisher standby besind u

OMGiTzzFATAL

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2008
I think before you go nuts, you should RMA it. i say do it first becuase if you take off the cooler on your toasty GPU you will void the warrenty.

If that fails and they say its fine after RMAing it, then stick a Akasa AK-VC03-BLUV Vortexx NEO VGA Cooler on it. :D

falcodakrzz

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
Dang, i got rid of the dust and no change...Lost the recipt for RMA. Cheers guys, but i have one last question, how long will my card last at those temps? And will it endanger my system to have such a hot card there?

CPUs can be that low. My PII idles around 26C, but it is very cold in here (and that makes a big difference).

Back on topic: That is very odd. I also have the stock cooler 4850 at 55% however it idles at 40C and hits around 70C in M2TW. I have noticed that M2 heats up the card almost to max for some reason, even more than a heavily modded Oblivion.

I really want that Akasa cooler. Originally I couldn't find it over here in the US, but now I see it popping up at several sites. Maybe once my fan starts to go I'll get it.

As for how long at 105C, I don't know. I know these cards are designed for high temps, but that seems a little high.

And on a final note, can you actually hear the fan speeding up when you raise the setting? It should become quite audible at >55%.

filthy_beava

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
Man my Ati 1900 GT was doing the same thing, It was heating up to 112C and even higher and then would shut down my computer.

I tried updating every driver i could (didnt work) then,

I download ati tools so i can max out the fan speed (dropped the temp a few Degrees but would still shut down my comp after playing for an hour or so and heating back up)

Finally i decided to take the whole damn thing apart, every screw that would come off i took off, I took out the fan and everything and gave it a good clean with a can of air.

I used to spray air inside every nook and crany of the card befor i took it all apart and i thought it was as clean as it was ganna get, Wow was i wrong, once i got the top plate off (and yes the screws were torqued down so Much more hard than they need to be imo, was so hard to get them off, went through 2 screwdrivers.) there was a HUGE build up of dust under the plate itself.

Once i cleaned the fan out nice and made sure it was getting a good spin and completely dusted the inside and outside of the card my temps dont go above 84C anymore no matter how long i game.

IMO if your stuck with the card you have to say screw the warranty and just rip it apart and get it clean.

Also you might want to try and underclock the card, i did this and it dropped a few C for me also.

Good luck man :)

OMGiTzzFATAL

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2008
Your going to have to weigh up the cost of a new cooler to the cost of a new card.

Tomorrow im fitting a vortexx neo to one on my 4870's, just becuase my cards cooler is too loud and pumps all its hot air into my case >.< its onlt 15quid (21 including 1st class delievery). I'll be sure to let you know how i get on with it.

Considering you can't RMA it, You might aswell try and rescue it.

Maybe try to improve the air flow in your case, perhaps buy some high CFM fans, Or if your really want to tame the beast, Go for watercooling, But for me the price doesnt justify the cooling.
GL, I'll get back to you tomorrow :D

Yes, please post back with difficulty/temperatures as I'm very interested in the result as well. That cooler looks really good, but until it is installed we won't know how easy or well it cools all components (Ram, VRM, GPU). Good Luck!

OMGiTzzFATAL

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2008
I'm absolutely gutted!!!, The vortexx Neo does not fit on my XpertVsion HD4870

My 2 DVI ports get in the way and so does some capacitors. >.< So unless you have a tool that can cut through aluminuim and plastic.....

But saying that, I don't have a referance design HD4870, So it will probably be okay on normal HD4870's and 4850's.

So now im stuck with a vortexx neo, I would send it back but i put on the pink thermal pads before i saw that it wasn't going to fit + I thought that onlt plastic was holding me back so ive sawed part way through the rear of the cooler, aha.
It was then i realised that there was too much aluminium aswell. ah heck!

Good job it only cost 20 quid.

Anyways good luck with your temp issue, I going to see if i reapplied my old HSF currectly by running furmark........Sometimes i wish i brought an xbox360 LOL

OMGiTzzFATAL

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2008
yeah, I'm sure it will fit on a referance 4870 or 4850. I just tryed fitting a 80mm fan to it, It was alot quieter, but temps werent great.

I'll just stick with the jet engine cooler for now.

I'd say that the vortexx would only take you 20 mins to put on your card, its so easy lol, and quite big, about the same lengh as my card (about 9inches i think).

Looks the part too.

TRENDING THREADS