jokira247

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
hi all i had a problem and i didn't find a solution for it and i was hoping that anyone could help

i was upgrading my ram from 2gb to 4gb

i have a two 1gb rams {1gb+1gb} ocz bus speed 800

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_ddr2_pc2_6400_special_ops_edition

and when i upgraded i bought one piece kingstone 2gb bus speed 800

http://www.acnt.com/product.asp?pf_id=MMKG2PC800

and the problem with me is when i place the kingstone ram alone it works great and when i place both ocz's alone they work great

and when i place 1gb ocz with the 2gb kingstone they also work great but when i place the 2 ocz {1gb+1gb} and the 2gb kingstone at the same time my computer wont boot or boot and read them 3gb only not 4gb and the windows give me blue screen meaning error and the pc restarts

i have mother board gigabyte ga-ep31-ds3l

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2779

can anyone help me with this problem

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Yea, you run into problems like that when you mix and match RAM sometimes. Check and see if your board is trying to run the RAM in dual channel mode or in ganged mode. If it's trying either, tell it no. That's the best idea I can come up with at the moment. Make sure your board is running the RAM in single channel mode and unganged mode. I don't know if those options are even toggleable in your BIOS. I tried to go to Gigabyte's website but it never responded and timed out.

And you might also bump the voltage to 1.9 if you encounter any instability or more problems.
You have just broken all 3 rules for memory upgrades.
1. Always upgrade in pairs. Your RAM will not run in dual channel mode if you do not install it in identical pairs.
2. Always buy the same kind/brand of memory you already have if you are adding more. Some brands of memory will work fine together, others will not work well, or simply refuse to work at all with other brands.
3. Re-read rule 1 and 2 before you buy memory.

jokira247

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
i think i don't need this rules in my case cause i don't care about dual channel also i said that 1ocz is working with the 2gb kingstone fine the problem is when i put the 2 {1gb+1gb} ocz both with the 2gb kingstone so i think if this brands are not compatible with each other even if i put one of the ocz it would have not been working so i guess that these brands is compatible and the problem is that the board is not making them to work in single channel mode is there any way to force the motherboard to work in single channel mode

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Bump up the voltage like jitpublisher suggested and see if that works. Regardless if you got one stick of ocz to run with the kingston, you still run into funny *** when you mix and match RAM. RAM tends to become less stable the more sticks you use as well. Bump up the voltage to 1.9v like jitpublisher suggested and let us know how that goes.

vengeancevendor

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
ya...maybe they do, as long as one doesn't eat more power than the other...
what you need to do is look at the specifications of each type of dimm ya have...
do they need the same voltage from the motherboard?
until kingston rules over the other(larger memory, maybe faster answer from cpu, maybe greater affinity on ram-write) things don't complicate...being different dimm, it could simply be semiconductors working differently under the same conditions...or...as expected...bad things happen when you do what you did...
maybe you think you don't need the rules...but the apply to you too...
xp or vista?