Sign in with
Your question

Need advice on Cooling for AMD gaming platform

Last response: in Overclocking
July 19, 2010 7:07:21 PM

Hi Toms Hardware, currently working on putting a new PC together and need advice on which cooler to get.

At first I was going to get a Zalman CNPS 10X Extreme, but Im a bit worried about the size, so I wanted to see if you guys knew some better alternatives.

The setup will consist of an Asus Crosshair IV Mobo, with a Phenom II X4 955 OCd to 3.8 - 4.0 GHz in a Cooler Master HAF 922 case. I would like the heat sink not to block the memory slots, which the Zalman will, so I can install tall memory stick like Corsair Dominator, unless that is out of the question with any good heat sink.

So if you know some good air cooling solutions that will fit in my setup and be able to cool my OC'd CPU please post here. If the HS comes without fans or is upgradeable with extra fans please also post good fans to install, and also advice on what Thermal Paste to use if the one included with the HS isnt good enough. max price around 100$.

btw I have checked Frostytechs top 10 and many of those HSFs sadly arent available where I live.

thanks for reading
a c 183 K Overclocking
July 19, 2010 7:22:30 PM

A CM Hyper 212+ might do the trick and is cheap.
Thermalright Venoumous X and X-silent 120 or 140mm fans.
Also it might help to say where you live.
m
l
July 19, 2010 7:35:09 PM

Hyper 212+ seems to be very popular in here.

and I live in Denmark
m
l
Related resources
July 19, 2010 8:39:39 PM

So, I looked at the CM Hyper 212+, and it appears that even when adding a second fan I should be able to fit any kind of memory stick without it being blocked. So I was looking at a second fan and found the Cooler Master Blade Master 120mm fan. It has the same specs as the one already included with the heat sink so im guessing this should all be good ? Anyone able to confirm this ?

also checked the Thermalright Venomous X. Cant find it here in Denmark :( 

more suggestions are still welcome :) 

edit: is the thermal paste included with the hyper 212+ good enough or should I get something better ?
m
l
July 20, 2010 2:14:15 AM

Been looking some more at the Top 10 list on frostytech and found some models available here.
The Thermolab BARAM, Thermalright Ultra-120 and Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme. Anyone got experience with these ? good cooling ? blocking any memory slots ?
also the BARAM and Ultra-120 comes without fans, any suggestions for which ones to use if they're any good ?
m
l
July 20, 2010 1:13:19 PM

Hey, thanks for the advice, the fans are widely available here luckily.
but why not the Scythe S-FLEX SFF21F Fans ? same size but moves more air, only a little louder which I don't care that much about really. Would that give noticeable lower temps ?

And about the RAM clearance, do you know how much room a CM hyper 212+ with two fans takes up on the average 890fx mobo ?

thank you
m
l
July 20, 2010 3:59:34 PM

BTW, compared to the Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme, and the Zalman CNPS 10X Extreme, how would the Hyper 212+ perform with two of the Scythe S-Flex fans ?
and the thing I said about wanting to be able to fit memory with large heat spreaders like Dominator RAM, you can scratch that, the more I look into it, the more I realize that I don't need it, and almost all of the good air coolers will block them. So now I just want the best cooling I can get. I don't assume any modern HSF will block normal sized RAM.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
July 20, 2010 6:09:08 PM

bastyn99 said:
but why not the Scythe S-FLEX SFF21F Fans ? same size but moves more air, only a little louder which I don't care that much about really. Would that give noticeable lower temps ?

And about the RAM clearance, do you know how much room a CM hyper 212+ with two fans takes up on the average 890fx mobo ?

thank you

It all depends on the exact model of the motherboard. My ECS board only has 4 memory slots and I can occupy all of them if needed. The 212+ won't clear the tall memory sticks but then again, like in my machine, the cooler doesn't even overlap the first slot.
m
l
a c 183 K Overclocking
July 20, 2010 6:52:18 PM

bastyn99 said:

thank you

Cfm has no direct effect on cooling,the cooler fins dissipate the heat,cfm has a direct effect on noise though.
Also manufacturer's exaggerate cfm.
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article695-page5.html#sfl...
The F model only moves 13 cfm more air and are noisier according to SPCR a site i trust.
You could do alot worse fan wise though so use whichever S-flex you like.

I don't know how much dimm intrusion you'll have on your specific set-up.
I have a CM Hyper 212+ and G.skills Ripjaws on a rig no problems.
My main rig has Thermalright MUX-120 and 8gb of Dominator ram and no clearance problems.
Both rigs are 1156 mobo's.
m
l
July 20, 2010 6:53:47 PM

Im also thinking about getting the Prolimatech Megahalems rev. b with a single Scythe Ultra Kaze 3000 fan pointing backwards. Saw some reviews that adding an extra fan only decreases temps. by a single degree celsius.
m
l
a c 183 K Overclocking
July 20, 2010 7:02:25 PM

That's a great cooler and considered the best air-cooler available.
Might be a little overkill though as the CM Hyper will handle your cpu fine.
Do whatever you like though.
Either way you won't have any heat problems.
Whatever you decide you'll be fine using Scythe fans with the cooler.

http://www.overclockers.com/65-fans-tested-megahalems/
m
l
July 20, 2010 7:16:26 PM

davcon said:
That's a great cooler and considered the best air-cooler available.
Might be a little overkill though as the CM Hyper will handle your cpu fine.
Do whatever you like though.
Either way you won't have any heat problems.
Whatever you decide you'll be fine using Scythe fans with the cooler.

http://www.overclockers.com/65-fans-tested-megahalems/

Yeah, thats the benchmark I found too :) 

And it also looks like, that if I only install one fan pointing backwards I should be able to fit any kind of memory stick in all four memory slots. so thats a plus.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
July 20, 2010 7:21:50 PM

bastyn99 said:
Hi Toms Hardware, currently working on putting a new PC together and need advice on which cooler to get.

At first I was going to get a Zalman CNPS 10X Extreme, but Im a bit worried about the size, so I wanted to see if you guys knew some better alternatives.

The setup will consist of an Asus Crosshair IV Mobo, with a Phenom II X4 955 OCd to 3.8 - 4.0 GHz in a Cooler Master HAF 922 case. I would like the heat sink not to block the memory slots, which the Zalman will, so I can install tall memory stick like Corsair Dominator, unless that is out of the question with any good heat sink.

So if you know some good air cooling solutions that will fit in my setup and be able to cool my OC'd CPU please post here. If the HS comes without fans or is upgradeable with extra fans please also post good fans to install, and also advice on what Thermal Paste to use if the one included with the HS isnt good enough. max price around 100$.

btw I have checked Frostytechs top 10 and many of those HSFs sadly arent available where I live.

thanks for reading

frosty's list is not 100% accurate, many of those coolers are overrated. The 212+ is a great cooler and works even better with a push pull setup (if needed). The Thermaltake Frio is also an excellent cooler as well. I have used both for recent AMD builds and they are working better than expected. I normally torture the CPU at 82F ambient just to make sure that the sink is doing the job correctly, both the 212+ and the Frio had more or less the same outcome @ 3.8Ghz (40c idle/52c load) / with the ambient at 70F temps went down to 30c idle/42c load. No need to buy a megahelms/true or any of those overpriced coolers, just make sure you get some MX-2 or better and you will be fine.

I used an Antec 300 + x4 955 for both tests. Hope this helps ;) 
m
l
July 20, 2010 8:06:01 PM

Hey OvrClkr, yeah that was some helpfull info, thx :) 

And I know that I probably dont have to buy a Megahalems to get good enough temps, but the way I see it, when I go out and buy something new and expensive, I dont hold back, I gotta have the best of the best. Makes me feel good and I can brag about it when I show it to my friends :)  thats the reason I wanted Dominator RAM aswell :p 

I know its probably stupid. oh well...
m
l
a b K Overclocking
July 20, 2010 8:14:56 PM

bastyn99 said:
Hey OvrClkr, yeah that was some helpfull info, thx :) 

And I know that I probably dont have to buy a Megahalems to get good enough temps, but the way I see it, when I go out and buy something new and expensive, I dont hold back, I gotta have the best of the best. Makes me feel good and I can brag about it when I show it to my friends :)  thats the reason I wanted Dominator RAM aswell :p 

I know its probably stupid. oh well...

with that mindset you are probably going to go broke sooner than later. What I mean by this is that you can spend 80.00$ on a cooler that will do the exact same job as a 55.00$ cooler, that extra 25.00$ can be used for a pair of fans or a nice fan controller. Spend you money wisely, don't overspend unless you have mommy and daddy paying those expenses ;) 
m
l
July 20, 2010 8:32:06 PM

True, true.
BTW OvrClkr can you recommend some good fans for the Hyper 212+ ?

edit: and a fan controller maybe ?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
July 20, 2010 8:54:35 PM

the stock fan works fine unless you have scorching hot room temps.

as far as upgrading the fans, well I normally suggest that you test out the stock fan first, most times there is no need to upgrade the fans unless you need more CFM.

The Scythe S-Flex SFF21G's are top notch , or you can go all out and but a single "ULTRA KAZE" 133CFM beast that will make your rig sound like an F-16 at full throttle.

As far as fan controllers go, again it comes down to how much you want to spend. They normally start at around 15.00$ for non digital or 30.00$ for digital with readings.

I have used this one for several builds and I find it to be the best as far as price/aesthetics/function goes :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I also use this fan controller and have had it for over a year already with zero issues. Fairly accurate and comes with temp probes if needed.

m
l
July 20, 2010 9:12:10 PM

thx a lot OvrClkr, I think I might just go with the Hyper 212+ and save a few bucks :) 
m
l
July 21, 2010 12:52:47 AM

One last thing you guys, will the Megahalems even fit in my HAF 922 case and on my Asus Crosshair IV mobo with two 120 x 25mm fans and normal sized 30mm memory stick w/o tall heat spreaders in all 4 slots ?

I know the Hyper 212+ will, atleast im pretty damn sure.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
July 21, 2010 1:04:05 AM

buy ram with low sinks, this way you wont have to worry about clearance..
m
l
July 21, 2010 1:21:54 AM

OvrClkr said:
buy ram with low sinks, this way you wont have to worry about clearance..

Ill be doing that no matter what cooler im getting. 4x2 GB Kingston HyperX, and not the T1 series, the normal ones without tall spreaders. theyre 30mm according to Kingston so that as low as you get em :) 

I was thinking about the heatsinks on the mobo, because I notice that the northbridge heatsink on the Crosshair IV is pretty big.
m
l
!