Sign in with
Your question

Buyer Remorse or Upgrading Fear, PSU in Question

Last response: in Components
April 20, 2009 8:43:52 PM

This is my first upgrading project, taking my nearly 5 year old PC and adding a new video card, 500W psu, and 2Gbs of memory (that will come later). I love really think I made the right choice on the video card but the power supply is the one in question. My first choice was a 30 dollar Hec Compucase for 30 bucks but I went against fearing it was too cheap. Then I picked out a nice Rosewill one for 50 bucks but sadly it was sold out this morning. So I picked middle of the ground, and got a Apevia 500W PSU for 40 bucks with free shipping. The reviews were very middle of the road but with a lot of reviews on Newegg, you have to take them with a grain of salt. My budget won't permit me to go higher than 50 bucks because I want to save money for my first build. I know about the price of quality but I want to extend the life my media center PC for a few more years. Anyway, here is the link

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Let me know what's going on.
April 20, 2009 9:11:28 PM

I would suggest this Atec that has free shipping. It is a very good PSU for the price.
Related resources
April 20, 2009 11:12:53 PM

I can't cancel it, they already charged me, I bought it this morning and it already on its way now.

knotknut, that PSU you told me about isn't enough watts for my video card

I kinda wished I had waited now. Yet, I have been putting this off for months and years now and was in bit of a hurry.

I am planning on putting it in an old PC I was saving for spare parts. I will monitor it before I use on my media center.

Here's the card I picked out
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
a c 248 ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
April 21, 2009 12:32:33 AM

If you already purchased a video card and a power supply, then what is your question?

A single 4650 video only uses about 90 watts at full load. Amperage should be pretty low too. The 4650 is not a power hungry video card.

The Corsair 400 watt power supply mentioned by Knotknut has a +12volt rail rated at 30 amps. That is more than enough to power your system and it comes with a 5 year warranty.

April 21, 2009 1:08:47 AM

JohnnyLucky said:
If you already purchased a video card and a power supply, then what is your question?

A single 4650 video only uses about 90 watts at full load. Amperage should be pretty low too. The 4650 is not a power hungry video card.

The Corsair 400 watt power supply mentioned by Knotknut has a +12volt rail rated at 30 amps. That is more than enough to power your system and it comes with a 5 year warranty.

I'm just feeling Buyer's Remorse for the PSU after all these bad things I hear about it from the reviews but I read the same about it before and decided to get it anyway. I guess after I paid for it, the bad reviews carried more weight and I got scared.

I normally don't get this way when I buy stuff. It just when it is my first upgrade project, I got frightened.
April 21, 2009 1:33:34 AM

Stick it in there, plug her in and what is the worst that can happen?? House burns down!!!

Just messing with you, you should be fine, lol.
April 21, 2009 1:49:50 AM

medjohnson77 said:
Stick it in there, plug her in and what is the worst that can happen?? House burns down!!!

Just messing with you, you should be fine, lol.

I doubt that will happen either, lol. Yet, I will be prepared tho. I will test it out on a spare parts PC I was given. If it fries, it doesn't take my Media Center with it.
!