Sign in with
Your question

WARNING Stay away from ASUS P6T Deluxe MO

Last response: in Systems
January 22, 2009 4:41:02 PM

There are issues with this MO not getting past a POST.

When truning on the PC for the first time it will not POST.
ASUS is not working with us to resolve this issue so I recommend looking into some other board.

You can read about this issue in the MO forum (ASUS) in this list or going to the forum at the ASUS site.

Good Luck

Mark
January 22, 2009 5:55:22 PM

Mine works, so it is not all of them. My guess is something is not connected correctly. Double check all your connections.
If that doesn't work connect only your psu, motherboard, cpu and one stick of ram, try to get it to post.
If you want help list out your specs, and somebody will likely be able to help you.
If you don't want help and just wanted to post a topic stating (blank) sucks, don't buy (blank) post that as a review on newegg or something.
January 22, 2009 6:43:41 PM

Thanks

I have RMAed the mo and NewEgg is sending a new one.
I will try to get it to POST outside of the case as you suggested.

This is a big problem with this MO as you will see on other forums and lists.

If I can get it to post with one stick of memory...then what do I do?
I will try to update the BIOS to most current version and mdoify the CAS and voltage of the RAM.

As I said many people are having issues with this. I'm supprised you did not.

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=2008121003011993...

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=21...

Thanks

Mark

Mu Configuration:

Antec 900
EVGA Geforce GTX 280
SilverStone ST75F Modular 750W
i7 920
Corsair Dominator 6gb (3x2gb) TR3X6G1600C8D
WD Caviar Black 640GB
LG 22x DVD+R DVD Burner
Vista Home Premium 64-bit
Related resources
January 22, 2009 7:15:17 PM

Ok, well best of luck with the new board one when it arrives.

If you can get it to post with the bare minimum components installed, then add components one at a time (between power-offs) to find the cause of the problem. Usually the reason for not getting a post is ram, if you are able to get it to post and boot from a cd: run memtest 86+ (http://www.memtest.org/#downiso) through at least a full test, preferably more, to ensure there are no faults in the ram.

If you cannot get it to post with the bare minimum components installed, clear the cmos. Instructions are in the manual, basically you will remove the on board battery, and move a jumper for 5-10 minutes while it is unplugged, then re-insert the battery, move the jumper back it and power back up. In my manual it is pg 2-22 (section 2.6). That will remove any bad settings from the bios if something got corrupted. If that does not work I would continue with the RMA.

Good luck, let me know how it goes.
January 22, 2009 7:25:30 PM

dzeric,

If I can get it to POST with like tow sticks of memory, can I upgrade the BIOS without installing the OS first?

What would be the steps to do this?
Would I download the latest BIOS on an other PC and put it on a USB thumb drive?
January 22, 2009 7:41:53 PM

You can, you will need to install the video card too because of the lack of on board video on the mobo. Be sure to plug in the pcie power supplies for it. Download the bios update on another computer, I'd burn it to a CD, but that is just me. I would be surprised if it did not work off of a thumb drive so its however you want to do it. You will boot to bios, and through the bios menu there will be an option, it will launch a dos-style application where you can navigate to the file, and update the bios.
If all of this works, and you can get it booted with all of the parts, I still recommend running memtest just to be sure.
January 22, 2009 8:20:23 PM

I just love it when people immediately start complaining that a piece of hardware is junk just because they do not understand how to make it work correctly. COULD be a board problem, but you know that kinda goes hand in hand with buying the latest and greatest. You have to expect some bugs somewhere. If you don't, you just are not realistic. Let everyone else cut themselves on the bleeding edge, I'll wait until the early adopters get the bugs sorted out thank you.
Newegg has about 37 reviews for this board that rate it 3 or 4 stars, many commmenting what an excellent product it is.
There are only 2 reviews where people had any real problems with it, and 1 of them from reading is probably not that experienced.
They may say they are, but reading between lines tells me different.

As the other posters are noting, more times than not, a failed post is memory related.
January 22, 2009 8:22:53 PM

I have one, love it, and would highly recommend it.
January 22, 2009 9:10:03 PM

Is the Deluxe the newer version of the two Asus P6T MB ?

This issue sounds similar to the Striker Extreme....POS.
a b Ĉ ASUS
January 22, 2009 9:53:28 PM

grieve said:
Is the Deluxe the newer version of the two Asus P6T MB ?

This issue sounds similar to the Striker Extreme....POS.

I have had a very good experience with my P6T deluxe

The deluxe version has a few more features, like an integrated SAS controller, and support for 24gb instead of 12gb.

1) Asus has a qualified ram list. Be safe, and pick one of those.
2) The manual requires ram to be put in the Orange slots, not in the first slot as you might think.
January 22, 2009 10:10:43 PM

Has anybody asked Mark_K where he works?

MRFS
January 23, 2009 2:15:56 AM

Hey, Mark? I thought you told me there was some bent pins in the CPU socket? If not I almost gaurantee the ram u got isnt compatible with the bios the board ships with.

I assure you there is nothing wrong with Asus P6T. This is your first build, I told you it wasnt always as simple as it seems.

Over 50% post issues I see are related to Corsair ram regarless of chipset. I personally think Corsair sucks. I have a G-skill kit in my P6T 1333 overclocked to 1600.
January 23, 2009 2:39:43 AM

Of all the DOAs I've got in my life, I never assumed the whole run is flawed. That just makes no sense.

now when you get 4 bad boards in a row, like I got from Gigabyte, you can feal free to start threads.

January 23, 2009 3:09:52 AM

Judging by the OPs questions and responses in this thread to this point it is quite obvious that he is lacking experience and knowledge wrt system building. Extensive research, and a willingness to follow advice given in response to properly posed questions will help overcome these handicaps, however, it will be necessary for the OP to recognize this, and build from this point.
January 23, 2009 3:29:26 AM

Alot of people encourage noobs to build their own, because alot of us here do build our own.

The main thing these encouragers dont think about is, us hard core folk, have tons of extra parts to trouble shoot. New people buy what they need, and get really bummed when it dont work due to a compatibility issues.

Mark was gonna hire me for parts plus $150 labor, but some folks talked him into goin it on his own. I bet he wishes he woulda had someone do it now. I'm sure he will get it worked out with advice, and some patience.
January 23, 2009 5:53:31 AM

roadrunner197069 said:
Hey, Mark? I thought you told me there was some bent pins in the CPU socket? If not I almost gaurantee the ram u got isnt compatible with the bios the board ships with.

I assure you there is nothing wrong with Asus P6T. This is your first build, I told you it wasnt always as simple as it seems.

Over 50% post issues I see are related to Corsair ram regarless of chipset. I personally think Corsair sucks. I have a G-skill kit in my P6T 1333 overclocked to 1600.

Corsair dominator is EXCELLENT RAM. There is basically no question about it. My 12 gigs (Dominator 1600MHz, 6x2GB sticks, rated at 8-8-8-24 at 1.65V) will run all day at rated settings at 1.52V, or it will run at 1600 7-6-6-18 at 1.66V (and this is 12 gigs too). It is cold to the touch while running, and has been rock solid. I've used Dominator many times, and would highly recommend it to anyone.
I've never used the non-Dominator Corsair RAM though, so I can't say anything for sure about that. The Dominator is the best stuff I've ever used though, bar none. Hell, just look at the reviews: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

47 reviews, 100% 5 egg rating. They've got to be doing something right...
January 23, 2009 8:05:58 AM

cjl said:
I have one, love it, and would highly recommend it.

+1

Great Mobo
January 23, 2009 8:21:43 AM

mark_k said:
There are issues with this MO not getting past a POST.

When truning on the PC for the first time it will not POST.
ASUS is not working with us to resolve this issue so I recommend looking into some other board.

You can read about this issue in the MO forum (ASUS) in this list or going to the forum at the ASUS site.

Good Luck

Mark

The most common cause of "no POST" is having the memory modules in the wrong slots. You must fill the colored slots first, not the black ones.

I have two systems with that board, zero problems.
January 23, 2009 8:27:03 AM

Likewise my system built on that board just works, I'm using Corsair RAM as well, although my motherboard came with a reasonably up to date BIOS where I think many of the RAM issues had been worked out!
January 23, 2009 10:05:51 AM

Thanks for all your replys guys!

Yes I think that my problem my be to some bent pins in the MO. However if you read the links I posted above you will see that some are having problems with the CAS and voltage etc....

I have read the install instuctions and have placed the RAM in the Orange slots. I have used the 8 pin not 4 pin power on the board......

I have RMAed the board.

When it comes back I will build the system with just the CPU and fan, video card, and PSU out side of the case.
If I can get it to post with one stick and will try a second stick in the next oragne slot and cobniations there of.

If this does not work I will try and clear the CMOS pulling batterery.....

roadrunner19,

you have been a big help and I thank you.
I hope I can call you a week from this Saturday to discuss what I have done on my own and were I am in the prosess.
The reason I want to build this is to learn from you guys.

CJl,

Will your ram run at 8-8-8-24 at 1.65Vz?
January 23, 2009 1:40:41 PM

Crashman said:
The most common cause of "no POST" is having the memory modules in the wrong slots. You must fill the colored slots first, not the black ones.

I have two systems with that board, zero problems.

In addition to RAM issues, and not to be a smartass, but an often newb mistake is not connecting the power switch connector to the mobo correctly. Not for nothing, but if the power switch isn't connected proper, you'll get nothing. I'll admit that I've had to go back and reverse the power switch connector on more than one occasion...
January 23, 2009 3:25:32 PM

mark_k said:

CJl,

All day long. As I said, it'll actually run 8-8-8-24 at 1.52 volts, and 7-6-6-18 at 1.66 volts, so it runs better than the rated spec. It does require a bump in more than just the RAM voltage though - It also takes some other changes to the voltages though. Just run the motherboard in XMP mode if you get it to the Setup screen, and the preconfigured profile on the Corsair ram will set everything up just fine.
a b Ĉ ASUS
January 23, 2009 3:39:06 PM

mark_k said:
Thanks for all your replys guys!

Yes I think that my problem my be to some bent pins in the MO. However if you read the links I posted above you will see that some are having problems with the CAS and voltage etc....

I have read the install instuctions and have placed the RAM in the Orange slots. I have used the 8 pin not 4 pin power on the board......

I have RMAed the board.

When it comes back I will build the system with just the CPU and fan, video card, and PSU out side of the case.
If I can get it to post with one stick and will try a second stick in the next oragne slot and cobniations there of.

If this does not work I will try and clear the CMOS pulling batterery.....

roadrunner19,

you have been a big help and I thank you.
I hope I can call you a week from this Saturday to discuss what I have done on my own and were I am in the prosess.
The reason I want to build this is to learn from you guys.

CJl,

Half of the cpu 4/8 pin connector comes blocked. Perhaps it is for a reason. I just connected a 4 pin cpu power connector.

January 23, 2009 3:46:46 PM

OK, I just looked up my exact current settings. Here they are:

QPI/DRAM core voltage: 1.3125
DRAM voltage: 1.56
Timing: 8-8-8-24 1N, all other settings on auto
DDR3-1600MHz

Oh, and I'm running 8 pin CPU power just fine. In fact, if you're overclocking, the i7 is quite power hungry, so I recommend the 8 pin.
January 23, 2009 6:09:55 PM

geofelt said:
Half of the cpu 4/8 pin connector comes blocked. Perhaps it is for a reason. I just connected a 4 pin cpu power connector.

They're blocked so that a 4-pin connector won't be put in the wrong way. Take the cap off and use the 8-pin connector if you have one.
January 23, 2009 8:21:32 PM

MRFS said:
Has anybody asked Mark_K where he works?

MRFS

Why would you ask this?
February 6, 2009 11:44:09 AM

Just wanted to give an update.

I RMAed my MO becuse I think it had a few bent pins in the CPU socket.

Got it back and all is well.

Sorry for the alarm.
And, thaks to all you help on this forum.
February 7, 2009 5:37:50 AM

In case anyone is interested, the Asus P6T Deluxe V2 is now out on NCIX, but not Newegg.

And no, I don't work for Asus. :p 
February 7, 2009 3:09:48 PM

I wld say that the major problem with people today is that they act before they think...And when they do think...They think what they are doing is always right no matter what and they complain when they don't think before they act and are wrong...HOW DUMB IS THAT!!!!
February 7, 2009 6:01:16 PM

darkside_gamer7 said:
I wld say that the major problem with people today is that they act before they think...And when they do think...They think what they are doing is always right no matter what and they complain when they don't think before they act and are wrong...HOW DUMB IS THAT!!!!

Hey I resemble that remark!

Asus was at fault for my problem. Bent pins in CPU socket.
Bought it from newegg and it should not have gone out that way.

I'm not disagreeing with your statement.
February 7, 2009 6:09:57 PM

Just blowin smoke brother. I read it all and know ur woes. Thats what sucks with this biz. No guarantees.
Anonymous
September 24, 2009 5:08:55 PM

I had the board for almost a year. I would get peridoic reboots that would not show up in the log. Finally the board just crapped out. Thought it was the power supply at first, nada. Someone should take up a class action suit against Asus for this piece of work.
September 24, 2009 5:42:58 PM

Quote:
I had the board for almost a year. I would get peridoic reboots that would not show up in the log. Finally the board just crapped out. Thought it was the power supply at first, nada. Someone should take up a class action suit against Asus for this piece of work.

Way to revive a dead post. Anyway, if you read a few post above that, he RMA'd and got the thing to work, no problem. I don't really see a class action coming out of that.
!