Sign in with
Your question

Cd,dvd-rw suddenly can't read

Last response: in Storage
July 26, 2010 1:39:03 PM

Hello.

I've got, what I suppose to be relatively common/standard, an SH-223C CDDVD-RW (made by Samsung). I bought the thing six months ago, and it's worked just fine up until yesterday. Here's what happened: I attempted to burn a DVD-RW in Windows 7, like I have many times before, and this seemed to have successfully completed, without errors or warnings. However, as of that moment, the computer has been unable to read any DVD-RW, DVD, or CD. I dual-boot with Windows 7 and Ubuntu 10.04, and they both detect the drive, and neither seems to indicate any sort of malfunction. Further, my BIOS also detects the hardware, yet is unable to boot from a CD/DVD (which I do quite commonly); instead, the LED will flash, the drive will spin, and I will get a blank screen for maybe up to a minute before it gives up and finally decides to boot from the hard drive. Oh, and yes, the drive will open and close just fine.

Any ideas on how this could possibly have happened, or even how I can troubleshoot this? Any insight whatsoever would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

More about : dvd suddenly read

!