Graphic Card Upgrade Issue

thunderbolt007

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
I have an NVIDIA IIVA TNT2 Model 64 g AGP slot video card which came with the HP Pavillion Pentium 4 computer running Windows XP sp2.

I bought a HIS Radeon HD3650 card to upgrade the machine. The card was supposed to work in the AGP slot but when I started the computer, I immediately got a red line message across the top of the screen saying I needed a power cord attached?

The new card has 2 tabs where the old card had 3 for the slot. Is this card comaptible with my machine? The specifications say yes, but I think not?

thunderbolt007

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
So you attached the power cable right???

I don't what power cable they are talking about.

There is no spot on the board, except for a small 3 pin connector.

I also noticed I only have a 3200 watt power supply and it requires 300 watt minimum which I ordered this morning.

Is there another power cord I need for the board?

thunderbolt007

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
You need to hook power to the 3 pin connector or it wont work. Seems like a no brainer to me.

You are right. If they provided a wiring instruction it would have been easier. I don't have a 3 pin power cord from the power supply. Where do I get a cord which will connect to the extra 4 pin connector on the supply?

thunderbolt007

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
You sure its 3 pin and not 4? I would guess the 4 pin will work?

The ones I looked at quickly on newegg all require 4 or 6 pin, none of them are 3. What is the make and model?

You are right it is a small 4 pin connector. My eyes are failing at my old age.

So I imagine they make a standard 4 pin supply patch cord which will attach to the smaller 4 pin connector.

Radio Shack have them?

I live in Nebraska and electronic stores are not around.

thunderbolt007

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
Im not following you.

Take the white 4 pin connector from the power supply and plug it into the 4 pin connector on the video card.

I need the internal cord which has the FDD connector on one end and the CDROM male connector on the other.

I found them at http://www.sfcable.com/cable/p/11W3-03.html.

I will try to find in town. If not I will order.

Thank you very much for your help. It would be nice if the suppliers would provide everything you need to install their cards. I am an engineer and I depend on good technical information. This company does not provide good documentation.

The connector you`re looking for is on the back of the card and the corner closest to you when the card is installed. It is white, male and about 14x18 m.m is size if I remember correctly.
This is a standard FDD 4 pin connector and your psu should have a spare on its wiring.
It might also be, in the same location, a larger, white 4-pin about 20x25x5 m.m.
This is a standard Molex connector and again, your psu should have at least one spare.
Neither will fit the wrong way; the smaller connector is virtually impossible to insert incorrectly and the Molex has a tapered corner.

magicbullet

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
Thank you very much for your help. It would be nice if the suppliers would provide everything you need to install their cards. I am an engineer and I depend on good technical information. This company does not provide good documentation.

Your an engineer? Your friggin kidding me right? Because even a cave man could figure this out. They DID provide you everything you need, the video card......and I would be willing to bet you $100 that the instructions that came with the card tell you to hook up the power connector........... :pfff:

LMAO, calm down man. thunderbolt, you need to RTFM a little bit.

thunderbolt007

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009

Well, the story gets better. I compared this new card to a PCI express card at Radio Shack. This is NOT an AGP card as it says on the box. The 4 pin connector is not for power it is for sound card output. This card is for PCI express which will NOT work in my machine. So it goes back to the supplier and I will find another source to get the right card which works just fine as it has for years when I upgraded.

Since I was unfamiliar with this new system, it is now obvious that I was trying to make something work which was not designed to work in this machine.

Thanks for all the help. It now is clear why you were all confused. Putting a square peg into a round hole.

Thanks Tiger Direct for screwing up my upgrade.