Sign in with
Your question

Autoexec.nt Problem, Can't open MS-DOS apps

Last response: in Windows XP
June 28, 2011 12:18:20 PM

I'm trying to run an old game however when i try i get an error. I am on windows XP

16 bit Windows Subsystem

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

[Close] [Ignore]

Now i checked whether i had the files; autoexe.nt, config.nt, command.com
and i didn't have the autoexec.nt or the config.nt. (they weren't in the repair folder either)

I looked around and found the microsoft support page http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q324767&fr=1Q344767
From this i made new copies of the files and pasted them into the system32 folder.
Restarted my computer and tried to run the program however i still get the same error when trying to run the game.
EDIT: i am using daemon tools to mount game

I've checked everywhere and can't find anything else about the problem because that seems like the end of it for most people.
I really appreciate any help and will gladly give any more information needed.
June 28, 2011 1:51:57 PM

hubbardt said:
What is the name of the game ?
Are you trying to run setup.exe ?
Have you tried installing in Safemode ?

You can also try this: http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Basic_Setup_and_Installation...

It's heroes of might and magic II, however i don't think the game is the problem as i click on command.com file and it comes up with the same message.
m
l
Related resources
June 28, 2011 2:02:58 PM

Have you tried DosBox ? (see link in previous post)
m
l
June 28, 2011 2:25:16 PM

hubbardt said:
Have you tried DosBox ? (see link in previous post)

Trying DOSBOX atm but can't seem to work it due to the file being .bin as i'm using daemon tools to act as the drive.
m
l
June 28, 2011 2:48:15 PM

Yes I downloaded the windows one. I can mount the drive, with the virtual cd mounted in daemon tools however i'm stuck from there as i tried 'setup' file but that can't be run in dosbox.
I also try to direct it from 'F:\>' (F is the drive) into the folders on the virtual disc.

EDIT: i'm now on F:\HEROES2> however from there i can't go into the folders.
'HEROES2' CD Name.
m
l
June 28, 2011 3:08:54 PM

So try compatibility mode.
Right click on the installer (.exe) and select "compatibility" tab. Now select "run this program in compatibility mode..." and select Windows 98.

After install, find the game .exe and do the same thing. Launch the game directly from the exe, not the shortcut.

Let us know how far you get.

*looking into it a bit further, you will also need to copy wing.dll to system32 folder (pre directx). You can download this on the web.
You might want to look into getting a new revision of the game through GOG. Should be very cheap, plus your supporting the developers and GOG.
m
l
June 28, 2011 3:15:37 PM

CompTIA_Rep said:
So try compatibility mode.
Right click on the installer (.exe) and select "compatibility" tab. Now select "run this program in compatibility mode..." and select Windows 98.

After install, find the game .exe and do the same thing. Launch the game directly from the exe, not the shortcut.

Let us know how far you get.

*looking into it a bit further, you will also need to copy wing.dll to system32 folder (pre directx). You can download this on the web.
You might want to look into getting a new revision of the game through GOG. Should be very cheap, plus your supporting the developers and GOG.

This does not work due to the core problem of the Autoexe.nt file appearing to not work, even though i have replaced it using the microsoft site.
+ i already have a copy of the game but it doesn't work.
m
l
June 28, 2011 3:24:51 PM

hubbardt said:
Did you follow the DosBox setup instructions: http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Basic_Setup_and_Installation...

How come you are using Daemon tools .. is your might an magic a bin or iso file instead of physical CD ? If yes, can you cut a physical CD ?

It is a .bin file and i don't have any blank CD's and yes i followed the setup instrucations however he just had a .exe file in it whereas i do not. I've tried navigating through the folders in the virtual CD using dosbox however i cannot go farther, as it just says illegal command ( the name of folder is '_setup')
m
l
June 28, 2011 3:28:14 PM

How about you use Daemon tools to mount the .bin, copy the contents to your hard disk, then use DosBox to run the installer from disk rather than virtual CD ?
m
l
June 28, 2011 4:03:54 PM

i can't use dosbox with the installer, i managed to direct to the installer folder but it couldn't be opened with dosbox.

@compTIA

i downloaded wing.dll but it did nothing.
m
l
June 28, 2011 4:38:11 PM

wing.dll is for later on :) 
m
l
!