Sign in with
Your question

I need help overclocking my cpu (

Last response: in Overclocking
July 20, 2010 3:58:35 PM

Processor: AMD Athlon II X4 640 3.00 GHz (i want possibly 3.4GHz)

when i first got the processor they said my motherboard could only support so much power and that this was the best cpu i could get for it.
(If i overclock it I am gessing that its power consumption will go up aswell, will it still be compatable on my motherboard?)

Motherboard: Asus M2A74-AM AM3

Power supply: 600W

This is my first time overclocking, and i hope someone will give me detailed istructions aswell as some of their favorite programes to use.

Thank you :) 

More about : overclocking cpu

July 21, 2010 2:04:46 PM

Thoma111 said:
Processor: AMD Athlon II X4 640 3.00 GHz (i want possibly 3.4GHz)

when i first got the processor they said my motherboard could only support so much power and that this was the best cpu i could get for it.
(If i overclock it I am gessing that its power consumption will go up aswell, will it still be compatable on my motherboard?)

Motherboard: Asus M2A74-AM AM3

Power supply: 600W

This is my first time overclocking, and i hope someone will give me detailed istructions aswell as some of their favorite programes to use.

Thank you :) 

yes the power consumption will go up. just look up your motherboard and it should say the max supported wattage. and yes it will still be compatible.

a bigger question is what is your cooling like? are you using stock CPU cooling? whats your Cpu's idle tempurature. and whats its temps at 100% usage.

to find out the 100% usage temps download Amd Overdrive and it has a stability test in it you can use. leave it on for about an hour and see hoe high the temps get.
m
l
September 28, 2010 12:28:53 AM

I had my 640 running at 3.3 on stock cooler for a while and never got above 60 C at 100% load, but my case has great air flow.

I'd recommend getting an upgrade from the stock cooler if you're still using it if you're planning on using it consistently at that oc.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
September 28, 2010 12:51:29 AM

Bios is your best friend, if you don't know what a bios is.... well then.... Seek reference to the stickies on the General discussion board.
m
l
!