Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
I bought a new computer. My parts are as follows:
- ASUS PQ5-E Motherboard
- Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400
- Nvidia GTS250 (ASUS ENGTS250 DK 1G)
- 460W Power Supply
- 8GB DDR2 RAM (PC2-6400)

Now, the problem is, after screwing the motherboard to the case and connecting all the parts, the computer will not boot. When pressing the power button, nothing happens.
I was wearing an anti-static wrist strap, so I do not think I shorted out anything. The power and reset buttons on the motherboard light up when the power supply is plugged in.
I was reading the manual, and it says, when talking about the ATX power connectors, that the system will not boot without the 8-pin EATX12V power plug. The power supply has 20+4 EATXPWR cable and a 4-pin EATX12v power plug.
There is no 8-pin EATX12V power plug, and half of the socket on the motherboard was covered with a plastic cap.

Could this be the problem? Do I need a new power supply, or some sort of adaptor? The manual makes no mention of a 4-pin EATX12V power plug, it only says that the system will not boot without the 8-pin EATX12V power plug.

EDIT: I was exploring Asus' forums, and found a post that said that I should clear the CMOS. This is a new motherboard, should I do that?

nticompass

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
Turns out I forgot the risers that screw into the case. You know, the ones that are between the case and the mobo....so, yeah.....fried it......

Thanks ASUS for NOT PUTTING THAT IN THE MANUAL!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's not Asus' fault. Gigabyte (P35 and P45) and eVGA 680i motherboard manuals also do not mention the case standoffs.

They all, by and large, assume that, if you are buying a bare motherboard, you know what to do with it. And that a first-time builder will do a certain amount of research on building a computer.

And the fact that the rear i/o panel did not line up with the i/o shield and the opening in the back of the case, should have told you that something was wrong.

Are you saying that you screwed the motherboard directly without installing the posts?

To add to what jsc said, instructions should have been provided with your case (unless you bought a really cheap case).

nticompass

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009

I guess I should have noticed that >.>

The case did not come with a manual, sorry Asus.