Modem lockups + win2k + new mobo! = UGH

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
i had an asus a7v133... everything worked fine, cept the hard drive controller started dying bigtime :(
i had 5 devices on IRQ9 under acpi:
geforce2pro
sblive
ltwinmodem
usbport
something else cant remember.

anyway... i got a new motherboard, an iwill KK266Raid-plus.
everything works fine EXCEPT for the Netcom internal 56k modem.
wheni try to use it i get lockups recoverable only by hard resets.
typically the modem can check for dial, start dialing, but freezes on that sound of sending a data stream :(

ive tried rearranging the modem & sound card
checking for conflicts
and found
3 devices now sharing IRQ7, not 9.
geforce2pro
ltwinmodem
sb live.
But this shouldnt be a problem as i had more sharing IRQ9 on the old mobo without troubles...

hmmms
reinstalling the modem drivers doesnt work, onboard raid and audio disabled for the moment,
and im going to try the via 4in1's (again) and a flashed bios tonite...

im using
win2k
sp2
via 4in1's 4.33
modem drivers from modemCD
modem data:
Ltwin modem COM5
Location4 PCI bus 0 device 12, function 0

best ive been able to achieve so far is 5 minutes using the modem before lockup...

HEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPP
*snif*

Religious wars are 2 groups of people fighting over who has the best imaginary friend.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
aaaack

hmmms
dunno where i can get a spare modem at short notice...

hmmms
and why should it go bananas? twazz workin fine on the old mobo *sigh*

Religious wars are 2 groups of people fighting over who has the best imaginary friend.

xazos79

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
I've asked many a computer technician on what type of modem they prefer. Internal or external. 100% say external as it takes up less resourses off of your system board. They also say that sometimes compatablility issues can arise between certain internal modems and motherboards. Your new motherboard obviously falls into that category, whereas your old motherboard didn't. Sux i know.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
what i find annoying is that they both are using the same chipset, the kt133a...
hmmms

wondwer if iwill themselves have got an idea,
afterall.. netcom modems is a pretty popular and common brand

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
got it working...
required artistic disabling of the serial ports & parallel ports...

and upon more investigating some audio codec doesnt work yet with the SB live...
so things need some creative "tweaking here"...

why is it that no matter how advanced a PC is... we are still using floppies, multiple IRQ conflicts...

why cant we have 1 irq for each, then another set just for the pci devices *sigh*