Linksys WRT160N - slow connection time

Status
Not open for further replies.

templetonpeck

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
I recently setup a Linksys WRT160N V3 wireless router and I finally got it working right, the only issue I'm finding is connection time.

What I mean is, the time it takes when the computer (a laptop) is started up for it to seek out and make that initial connection.

I'm not sure what the normal time-frame is for this? It's taking about 45 seconds to a minute to make that connection and often it says "it couldn't find the connection", but then finds it like 5 seconds later. I think it's almost close to timing out, or maybe even is? I restarted the laptop and tried it 4-5 times and every time the same, but it always did make the connection eventually.

Once the connection is made I get full bars on the wireless and the speed is good.

Any ideas as to why it's so slow, or how to maybe speed it up?

The Laptop is running Windows 7: Home Premium and has a Intel wireless N card.

The router is set to Wireless N only, and has WPA2-PSK enabled. I'm wondering if the security is slowing it down, but then why would the actual speed once you made that connection be fast.

I have already updated the firmware to the latest version. I did have issues even getting wireless to work at the start, I ended up resetting the whole router and starting fresh. I manually configured (which I should have done in the first place) it because I made the mistake of using the awful setup disc the first time around and it just wouldn't work.

Any help or thoughts on this is appreciated. Wireless routers frustrate the heck out of me!

lyleb

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
First try disabling WPA and then check the connection.

Try to find another driver for the laptop and manually install it.
Older or newer, from another source.

I had one Linksys N router that worked a lot better on G only. Range and speed were doubled.

rattman169

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
it's not all router issue, your computer starts up, the wireless driver is loaded (along with all the other drivers, these are all processes, the more you have, the longer it takes) then the laptop does a search for preferred networks (yours), finds it (sometimes in your case, change channel on router to 1 or 11), then enters your encryption keys, connects, then you have access. So the key length won't really make a difference, or even if you use one or not (measured in Nanoseconds, so pointless), it's more the laptop, it has to load everything on start up PLUS, all those icons beside the time in bottom right corner, take up memory use and causes more processes, therefore making both RAM and CPU work (plus Hard drive load times can slow it down significantly). You can unload processes from start up to get faster load times and less being used by memory, but getting online may make about 3-5 second gain over all. I have a desktop with wireless and a laptop and the laptop is a little faster (a little less processes, my PC is more or less a test station and I have important tools that need to load at start up). I work for Major ISP (Verizon's Canadian counterpart). I also have same router, when desktop is plugged directly into router, I can access internet before Windows even loads (Asus AI Net). PS: keep all electronic devices away from router (at least 6 feet), people have tendencies to keep cordless phone base next to router on desk, if cordless phone is 2.4Ghz, and 99% of routers run at 2.4Ghz, you get interference, same as sitting inside metal cabinets or sitting on microwaves (BIG NO NO). do this and you will have clearer reception for wireless and also have less issues connecting to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.