Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

How to OC my Asus 5870

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
July 20, 2010 5:51:10 PM

I have a voltage tweak Asus 5870 (http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=4...)


How would I tweak or overclock it for better performance? I want to use it for gaming and designing. I have Asus smart doctor I just don't know how to use it. I also don't know about cooling and such. I have an Antec 900 with the extra side fan and the card fan at 55%. What would be the safest Overclock for this card? and how would I do it? Or would ati overdrive auto tune be the best answer?

More about : asus 5870

a c 125 U Graphics card
a c 100 K Overclocking
July 20, 2010 7:15:24 PM

Personally, I think the best OC software is MSI Afterburner. It allows voltage control, clock control, and best of all, you can make a custom fan profile so that it speeds up along with the temp.

Aim for the temp to never be over 80C, unless you really want it quiet, you might get away with 90C but that is hot. My OCed 5850s don't go over about 75C in stress tests, gaming much much less.

Anyway, IMO start with the memory clock. Go up by about 25mhz and run FurMark to test it (us 4xAA). It should ideally be fairly smooth (fps will go up and down rythmically) but I mean sometimes it looks like the image is stuttering. That's bad. You can probably get up to 1300 mhz, maybe even 1350.

For core, sort of the same process. A common issue from a too high core OC is artifacts appearing after a couple mins of usage. If that's the case, generally adding a bit more voltage will overcome it, although it adds heat too. You can probably get at least 1000mhz core.

I hope this helps
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b K Overclocking
July 20, 2010 7:23:49 PM

+1

Afterburner is great. Cant live without it =)
m
0
l
Related resources
July 20, 2010 7:49:48 PM

Okay I'll take a look at that program. I just don't want to damage my new computer...
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b K Overclocking
July 20, 2010 7:54:40 PM

You wont damage anything as long as you monitor your GPU temp and make sure it stays below 80F. Create a can curve and let the software do the rest :

m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b K Overclocking
July 20, 2010 8:24:08 PM

benson733 said:
Like this?

http://yfrog.com/9flikethis1p


I also bumped up the memory clock by 25 now how do I test in fur mark? what settings exactly???


not bad at all, just make sure that once your PC freezes/bsods back off a bit on the OC and you will be fine. You should be able to hit 900/1250 on stock volts.
m
0
l
July 20, 2010 8:31:54 PM

So what test should I run on fur mark. What res and what kind of test? and for how long?


Also when I up it by 25 each time how do I know when to start upping the core clock?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b K Overclocking
July 20, 2010 9:00:23 PM

benson733 said:
So what test should I run on fur mark. What res and what kind of test? and for how long?


Also when I up it by 25 each time how do I know when to start upping the core clock?


Run furmark or kombustor, they are basically the same IMO. Both programs have different stability tests, normally I run an "extreme burn-in" once and if it passes the test with decent temps there is no need to re-run the test again.

raise both sliders in increments, you need to play around with the clocks till you find your sweet spot, not all 5870's are the same, some will clock higher and some wont.
m
0
l
July 20, 2010 9:03:56 PM

So slide both clocks by 25? then run fur mark stability test?
m
0
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
a c 100 K Overclocking
July 20, 2010 9:14:55 PM

I think it's better to do one till you find the max, then the other. Otherwise if something screws up, you may not know which was the cause.

To stress the memory, run with anti aliasing on. Without it, in FurMark, it won't stress the memory at all. I ran some benchmarks that I'm too lazy to find at the moment (it's a thread on these forums) but my findings were than in FurMark, only memory speed affected the FPS with AA on. With AA off, the core speed made a big difference while mem speed did nothing. In gaming tho, it's a mix of the two so basically you do want them both as high as you feel comfortable with.
m
0
l
July 20, 2010 9:16:49 PM

wolfram23 said:
I think it's better to do one till you find the max, then the other. Otherwise if something screws up, you may not know which was the cause.

To stress the memory, run with anti aliasing on. Without it, in FurMark, it won't stress the memory at all. I ran some benchmarks that I'm too lazy to find at the moment (it's a thread on these forums) but my findings were than in FurMark, only memory speed affected the FPS with AA on. With AA off, the core speed made a big difference while mem speed did nothing. In gaming tho, it's a mix of the two so basically you do want them both as high as you feel comfortable with.



so one first then the other with the general furmark stability test?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b K Overclocking
July 20, 2010 9:21:54 PM

wolfram23 said:
I think it's better to do one till you find the max, then the other. Otherwise if something screws up, you may not know which was the cause.

To stress the memory, run with anti aliasing on. Without it, in FurMark, it won't stress the memory at all. I ran some benchmarks that I'm too lazy to find at the moment (it's a thread on these forums) but my findings were than in FurMark, only memory speed affected the FPS with AA on. With AA off, the core speed made a big difference while mem speed did nothing. In gaming tho, it's a mix of the two so basically you do want them both as high as you feel comfortable with.


well it depends because like I said some clock higher than the others. He wont get more than 1250mem on stock volts so for now he can leave the mem alone and work on the core.

he just needs a bit of practice, eventually he will find out the max OC threshold on his card.
m
0
l
July 20, 2010 9:29:10 PM

OvrClkr said:
well it depends because like I said some clock higher than the others. He wont get more than 1250mem on stock volts so for now he can leave the mem alone and work on the core.

he just needs a bit of practice, eventually he will find out the max OC threshold on his card.



I'm working on the testing right now and this is what I got to on a normal 4xaa stability test ran for 5 minutes on fur mark:


Clocks: core 875 mem 1250
Temps: 49C min 62C max
FPS: 41 min 77 max 51 avg

Conclusion: STABLE





I'm going to stick with just upping my core now that my mem is 1250 until I get an error or don't feel comfortable with upping. I think I'll stick with stock volts for now.


and I should keep my temps below 80C right?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b K Overclocking
July 20, 2010 9:35:08 PM

yep, you are good to go. Later on you can raise the mem a bit more if you see that you are in need of a few more frames.

your temps wont even reach 80c unless you over-volt that card so you have nothing to worry about.
m
0
l
July 20, 2010 9:39:09 PM

OvrClkr said:
yep, you are good to go. Later on you can raise the mem a bit more if you see that you are in need of a few more frames.

your temps wont even reach 80c unless you over-volt that card so you have nothing to worry about.



Thanks for the peace of mind. so if I don't over volt than the computer will just crash if I go over and restart?


ps: whats a typical clock I should be expecting on stock volts? ?/?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b K Overclocking
July 20, 2010 9:51:13 PM

it wont matter if the card is over-volted or not, if you push the card beyond it's threshold it's going to crash regardless. Sometimes it freezes and you need to wait for it to unfreeze itself and other times it will blue screen and auto re-boot. The most common crash is when it artifacts and you get strange small dots/boxes on your screen.
m
0
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
a c 100 K Overclocking
July 20, 2010 9:56:32 PM

When OCing core, you'll generally see artifacting before any crashes happen. It's also more likely to be able to do a driver reset rather than crash, but things happen. Don't know how far you can push it at stock volts... that's the fun of OCing haha. My 5850 does 875 on stock, the 5870 might do more but probably not by a lot. Increase the voltage a little isn't a big deal. For example, you could try setting the voltage to 1.15 and then see what sort of core speed you can get. If you want more, try 1.18 or 1.2. You can tell pretty quick if the temps are going to get out of hand.

As for stability, how long are you running the tests? I like to run 3 or 4 minute benchmarks just to see how the OC is affecting FPS and of course for stability, the longer the better.
m
0
l
July 20, 2010 9:58:44 PM

OvrClkr said:
it wont matter if the card is over-volted or not, if you push the card beyond it's threshold it's going to crash regardless. Sometimes it freezes and you need to wait for it to unfreeze itself and other times it will blue screen and auto re-boot. The most common crash is when it artifacts and you get strange small dots/boxes on your screen.


I just put the clocks up form 925/1250 - 950/1275


I run fur mark stability with 4x aa for 5 min then I quit out and record my data.


On that test at like 4:38 it froze and their were small square boxes and it took a few seconds to catch up and un freeze, Now how much should I back off the clocks?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b K Overclocking
July 20, 2010 10:05:16 PM

benson733 said:
I just put the clocks up form 925/1250 - 950/1275


I run fur mark stability with 4x aa for 5 min then I quit out and record my data.


On that test at like 4:38 it froze and their were small square boxes and it took a few seconds to catch up and un freeze, Now how much should I back off the clocks?


back off by increments of 25mhz, don't go crazy stress testing the card multiple times, try testing the overclock in games and once you exit out of the game you look at the graphs ;) 


m
0
l
July 20, 2010 10:07:58 PM

OvrClkr said:
back off by increments of 25mhz, don't go crazy stress testing the card multiple times, try testing the overclock in games and once you exit out of the game you look at the graphs ;) 



Okay so look at the graph where? afterburner? how do I set up the game testing version? was it too many stress tests that caused this issue? should I be fine where I am now with my clocks? Or should I still back them both off by 25?


too many questions....




Ohh I think I see. reset in afterburner test and then check???
m
0
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
a c 100 K Overclocking
July 20, 2010 10:21:56 PM

If you got artifacts at 950, but not 925 core, then you know where the threshold is. Sounds like your card can reach 925 at stock volts. Maaaybe 930 or 940, but 925 is very good. You can try raising the mem a bit, but the core is maxed unless you give it more juice. Sounds like you have not hit the mem clock wall, since you haven't reported any crashes.

Like Ovrclkr says tho, if you get a happy OC and are FurMark stable, it helps to play some games. Just leave Afterburner open (Detach the graph and make it bigger) and go game. After maybe 30 mins alt tab out and check it. If you set the graph up right you can see your FPS and temps. Gaming temps are always way less than FurMark.

Games can also be a little more sensitive to overclocking, so you might have to lower clocks a little if there's issues in game.
m
0
l
July 20, 2010 10:22:58 PM

These seem to work just fine. I tested Splinter cell conviction on a more demanding level ( at the carnival )for 5 minutes or so. The game ran a little smoother than normal but its still choppy and thats on medium settings.

ps. If anybody can recommend ideas to getting the game to run a little smoother let me know....


[/img]
m
0
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
a c 100 K Overclocking
July 20, 2010 10:25:32 PM

From that image, your GPU isn't getting max usage. Was that while gaming? Looks like a possible CPU bottleneck. Although if your sig is right, an i7 930 should be fine... might be worth trying to OC the CPU a bit tho.
m
0
l
July 20, 2010 10:29:01 PM

wolfram23 said:
From that image, your GPU isn't getting max usage. Was that while gaming? Looks like a possible CPU bottleneck. Although if your sig is right, an i7 930 should be fine... might be worth trying to OC the CPU a bit tho.



I was gaming, I think what you are seeing is when I exited out of the game and then screen captured... Hold on I'll try to screen cap while in game.
m
0
l
July 20, 2010 10:34:17 PM

I think that looks fine, doesn't it?

http://yfrog.com/50msip


I want to OC my cpu as well but I don't know how and don't want to fry it...

I also have a stock cooler and don't want to OC until I get myself a cooler master 212 plus
m
0
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
a c 100 K Overclocking
July 20, 2010 10:45:53 PM

Looks like it maxed at 75% usage. That's odd if you're in a game. I can only think that you need to boost your resolution up. What resolution is your monitor? Try cranking the game settings to max and see how much it pushes the GPU.
m
0
l
July 20, 2010 10:47:12 PM

wolfram23 said:
Looks like it maxed at 75% usage. That's odd if you're in a game. I can only think that you need to boost your resolution up. What resolution is your monitor? Try cranking the game settings to max and see how much it pushes the GPU.




1920x 1080. I'll try and report back in a minute....
m
0
l
July 20, 2010 10:54:37 PM

splinter cell on all setting maxed out....
seemed to be about the same amount of lag as with setting on medium...


looks a little weird. Any opinions


http://yfrog.com/jomsi2p
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b K Overclocking
July 20, 2010 11:05:15 PM

when v-sync is enabled the GPU usage should be around 60-80%, with v-sync disabled it should go all the way up to 99/100%.

that last graph is showing everything correctly, now all you need to do is make sure the card is stable during long periods of time, I normally play for an hour or two and if it holds up then I just leave it at that clock and create a profile for it.
m
0
l
July 20, 2010 11:14:32 PM

OvrClkr said:
when v-sync is enabled the GPU usage should be around 60-80%, with v-sync disabled it should go all the way up to 99/100%.

that last graph is showing everything correctly, now all you need to do is make sure the card is stable during long periods of time, I normally play for an hour or two and if it holds up then I just leave it at that clock and create a profile for it.




That is v synced.


Should that game be a little laggy with my current setup with everything maxed?


I'll play some games for an hour or 2 and see if everything runs fine.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b K Overclocking
July 20, 2010 11:51:17 PM

play a more GPU intensive game, splinter cell will run on low end hardware. You should not be getting any lag at all as your GPU is overkill for that game, you must have some setting that needs to be fixed. Go into CCC and arrange the settings to your taste.
m
0
l
July 20, 2010 11:53:27 PM

OvrClkr said:
play a more GPU intensive game, splinter cell will run on low end hardware. You should not be getting any lag at all as your GPU is overkill for that game, you must have some setting that needs to be fixed. Go into CCC and arrange the settings to your taste.




I'm getting frustrated because almost all of my games lag and I cant figure out what settings would be causing that. It seems that low or high the lag is the same....

Any specific ideas???


m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b K Overclocking
July 21, 2010 12:03:51 AM

can you post a screenshot? something like this :






m
0
l
July 21, 2010 1:10:35 AM

http://yfrog.com/cbscreenshotxlp

could it be a bios setting?

I don't know...




Update:

I put the ccc back to default settings and used d3d overrider to force x3 buffering and vsync and I'm noticing a difference. Still my games seem to hiccup every 10 seconds or less and get a little bit laggy and its really annoying.


So I'm a little closer at least.

I also had to set both clocks back 25 because I played mw2 campaign for like 3 minutes and I got a freeze and square blocks again...
m
0
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
a c 100 K Overclocking
July 21, 2010 2:14:05 AM

The slowdowns might be caused by the memory being too high. GDDR5 ram will not necessarily crash but instead cause a stuttering due to resending data repeatedly until it gets through. Try lowering the mem speed again if it's stuttering any more (since you just set both back by 25, is it better?)
m
0
l
July 21, 2010 2:28:09 AM

wolfram23 said:
The slowdowns might be caused by the memory being too high. GDDR5 ram will not necessarily crash but instead cause a stuttering due to resending data repeatedly until it gets through. Try lowering the mem speed again if it's stuttering any more (since you just set both back by 25, is it better?)



your saying the ram/mem on the gpu is too high causing the stuttering?

I set the clocks back to default and its still stutter/LAGGING and I don't know what to do. It should not be this hard to just play a game....
m
0
l
July 21, 2010 3:18:50 AM

I just cant seem to figure it out.







I'm really close to just taking it into a computer repair shop and see if they can fix it. The only thing is I really don't want to pay them for something that could be so minor. I keep trying things and they don't really work. My computer isnt even handling cod4 it lags with vsync on I get good solid 60 fps but if I turn off vsync the screen tears because of the 150-400 fps and the game lags a little too.


I just don't know....
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b K Overclocking
July 21, 2010 3:20:43 AM

what drivers are you using? did you remove any previous driver files prior to installing the 5870?
m
0
l
July 21, 2010 3:21:28 AM

I did a fresh install of windows 7 x64...
m
0
l
July 21, 2010 3:54:27 AM

10.4 does the same thing. It's acting the same as the eyefinity 2g edition I had replaced it for.


??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????


Maybe its windows 7, should I try vista???
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b K Overclocking
July 21, 2010 4:06:29 AM

what?

I have Win 7 64 and my 5850 works perfectly fine, you must have some setting wrong. Run and instance of 3dmark06 to see what happens.
m
0
l
July 21, 2010 4:08:33 AM

OvrClkr said:
what?

I have Win 7 64 and my 5850 works perfectly fine, you must have some setting wrong. Run and instance of 3dmark06 to see what happens.



Will do. I have never tried that benchmark before....
m
0
l
July 21, 2010 4:40:57 AM

TEST 1 default: http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/1466/3dmarktest1.png
TEST 2 custom: http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/9121/test2bk.png


Update:

I also just did a reformat and reinstall of windows 7 ultimate this time.


guess what!

It still screws up...


I think it has something to do with vsync.

I just installed cod4 and it runs like a champ with vsync off but if I turn it on it lags. The only issue with vsync off is it tears alot.

I have an LG LED monitor " I need to return it anyways because it has 2 dead pixels.

Is their a better solution such as a better monitor??? OR is their an easier alternative that is software based....
m
0
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
a c 100 K Overclocking
July 21, 2010 2:40:56 PM

Vsync can be a bitch sometimes. I ran Dirt 2 benchmarks with it on and off. With it on, the average FPS (running CF5850s mind you) was 61.2, and minimum was 56.1... with it off, average was 105.6 and minimum was 84.9. You'd think it would just run a steady 60 with Vsync but nope. I also hate screen tearing, so it's pretty crappy either way. My suggestion is that if you can crank up the graphic settings to their max to try and bring down the FPS close to 60.

First thing you should try is going into CCC open the 3D tab. Go to ALL. At the bottom check off Triple Buffering. See if that helps any. If not, try to increase the GPU load so that it brings down the FPS. Check on Super Sampling and see if that helps. Turn up AA to 8x, or better yet go 4x but select Edge Detect instead of Box, which is essentially 12xAA. Crank the AF up to 16.
m
0
l
July 21, 2010 6:41:13 PM

It just gets even more choppy and a weird vibrating effect. I have yet to be able to play a game except portal but it would only run smooth in window mode...


My fps in cod4 now are like 40-70

This is just not working.

I did a clean install of windows, latest catalyst 10.6, latest windows updates, directxweb installer update tool... Installed cod4 (both single and multi player lag the same.

???

with default setting in ccc I'm getting an avg fps of about 150 and no less than 99 and up to the 250-300 area in some spots. But tears like hell.


could it be that I only have a 650w psu???


I'm trying everything and it just wont work.....
m
0
l
July 21, 2010 9:14:33 PM

I think my ram might be bad...


I played with 2gb instead of 6gb and it was better but still stuttered a little, but vsync did not even effect it near as much as usual...
m
0
l
!