Your question

How to OC my Asus 5870 - Page 2

Last response: in Overclocking
a c 125 U Graphics card
a c 100 K Overclocking
July 21, 2010 9:50:27 PM

benson733 said:
I think my ram might be bad...

I played with 2gb instead of 6gb and it was better but still stuttered a little, but vsync did not even effect it near as much as usual...

That could definitely be the case. Have you double checked the RAM speed and timings in your BIOS? Make sure they're in spec.

A good idea would be to run Memtest86+ for a couple passes
m
l
July 21, 2010 11:11:19 PM

wolfram23 said:
That could definitely be the case. Have you double checked the RAM speed and timings in your BIOS? Make sure they're in spec.

A good idea would be to run Memtest86+ for a couple passes

I put the 4gb back in and it seems to be even more laggy again. It was still laggy with just 2gb but for example, portal was smooth for 3 seconds then started lagging as before it lagged right away. Maybe I have the wrong ram or something?????

This is the ram I have : http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=2...

Is this recommended or compatible with my rig??? or do I have a completely defective 3 set of ram....

UPDATE:

I am running mem test and it has already went through one pass (took about 39 minutes) no errors yet but I cant tell if its running at full or not because I'm not experienced enough yet so I dont really know what I'm looking for...

UPDATE 2:

Ran through 2 passes but no errors. I really did not know what to be looking for other than that so I wrote a lot of it down. If you need any info to help me determine the issue. Maybe the ram is working but its not compatible or something?

If I cant get it running tonight I'm going to bring it in and they can try to determine the issue.

If that issue can't be solved I'm going to sell or trade it.
m
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
a c 100 K Overclocking
July 22, 2010 2:53:50 AM

Well for compatibility, you'll have to go to your motherboard's manufacturer's site and they usually have a list of compatible RAM.

The other thing is there could be a windows issue where for whatever reason it keeps accessing the hard drive instead of RAM, like a file paging thing, so each access causes a hiccup. But that seems wierd.

I dunno I'm kind of out of ideas at this point. I guess you might have to bring it in.
m
l
Related resources
July 22, 2010 4:00:01 AM

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'll post back what the issue was, because it's most likely something simple.

My computer is brand new and no adjustments have been made to the bios except disabling the legacy floppy disc drive.

I have reinstalled windows about 4 times and no luck.

It's possibly either faulty ram or bios setting or both.... or something else.
m
l
      • 2 / 2
!