Sign in with
Your question

ICH10R: How versatile ist it? (SSD+HDD RAID question)

Last response: in Motherboards
June 16, 2009 6:54:44 PM

Here's a puzzler for you guys:

In a nutshell, I want to build a Core i7 rig that includes tons of different storage:

• 1x SSD SATA (I25-M or OCZ Vertex) containing the boot partition
  • 3x HDD SATA in a RAID 5 array (non-bootable)
  • 1x HDD SATA "standalone" (a much larger drive so I don't want to include it in the RAID 5 array)
  • 1x SATA DVD burner
  • 1x PATA IDE drive
  • 1x eSATA RAID 1 array (external, has its own controller)

The motherboard I am favoring at this moment is the Asus P6T (vanilla).

So, how do I connect all that?

Ideally I'd like to configure it as follows:
  • ICH10R: SSD (boot), the RAID5 array and the "standalone" SATA HDD (= 5 drives + 1 free port)
  • JMB363: eSATA RAID1 and PATA IDE drive
  • JMB322: SATA DVD drive (+ 1 free port)

Is this possible? :pt1cable: 

Most importantly, can I boot from the SSD while having a RAID array attached on the same controller? What would I have to set the BIOS to, AHCI or RAID?

PS: I already have a thread going in the system build forum, but I figured this question would be more appropriate here. Or should I ask in the Storage forum?
    a c 236 V Motherboard
    June 17, 2009 2:22:22 AM

Quote:
    Most importantly, can I boot from the SSD while having a RAID array attached on the same controller? What would I have to set the BIOS to, AHCI or RAID?
    RAID, but don't include the SSD in a RAID group.
    June 17, 2009 8:24:36 PM

Thanks, GhislainG. So I take it that the ICH10R could handle all that? Great!

The reason I'm so insistent is that in my current setup, I'm unable to boot from a single drive if a separate RAID array is attached on the same controller.
    Of course that's on a Mobo dating back to 2004...
    Related resources
    June 17, 2009 10:54:08 PM

I see no problem with your setup. I was running a similar setup before I moved the RAID5 array off to my HTPC/NAS.

Quote:

You would set it to 'RAID' in BIOS, The standalone boot drive (your SSD) will be listed as standalone when Matrix RAID is doing its drive detection during POST.
    a c 129 V Motherboard
    June 18, 2009 1:04:07 AM

As said, Intels ICH10R will easily accommodate raid and non raid drives together with optical drives.

Now with the ICH10R not having any PATA ports, your IDE drive will just run on the Jmicron controller found on many new boards.
    June 18, 2009 11:30:47 AM

Thanks for all the info, guys!
    !