Advice on my 1st NewEgg GrOUndup AMD build.

sleeperific

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
I'm gonna try my hand at a do it myself AMD gaming computer, thanks to the internet!
But I need advice and, eventually help.
First the advice.

I want to STICK with AMD and keep the potential to upgrade the CPU, RAM, and update the OS in about a year or so.
The budget has to be be small to start cause I need a monitor and peripherals and total build has to stay around $12000 including a few games.
I have enough on my mind trying to build this computer so I would ask to put aside OVERCLOCKING and it's potentials at this point please.
I will be using a single 22" something 1680x1050 res. monitor for now, I will JUST be playing games and the OS will be XP.

Here is what I put together, everything is from NewEgg.
I hope the links work for every one.
Thanks for any input you share.

Case: COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 RC-590-KKN1-GP ATX Mid Tower
NewEgg

MB: DFI LP JR 790GX-M2RS AMD
NewEgg

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000 3.1GHz Socket AM2 89W
NewEgg

Optical Drive: SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner Black SATA
NewEgg

HDD: 2x Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
NewEgg

RAM: Kingston 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
NewEgg

PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W Power Supply
NewEgg

Video Card: HIS Hightech Radeon HD 4850
NewEgg

All told the cart before shipping is sitting at $804us.

I really want to know at this point is if the CPU will limit the Video card?
The cost ratio is my only reason for believing this right now.

Anything else you would like to add is greatly appreciated.
Thanks a lot for looking and taking the time to respond.

Levi182

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
12,000$is this a typo lol thats alot of money
if you meant 1200 that would make mroe scence
The link to the power supply isnt working

Levi182

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
oh woops srry i dint see the first post yeah now i see the PSU
everything looks good but that MOBO looks a bit sketchy i would search for a new one perhaps Asus, or Gigabyte

The processor is ok but i see that you have a plan to upgrade to AM3 so you know the processor will keep you steady till then,
Everything looks good though except 800$ seems a little too much your not doing next day shipping are you?

hasspar

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
Is there any really good reason you wanna stick with AMD?
IMO You'll likely beable to build a better system for the cash w/ an intel setup. You may wanna re-evaluate :) I was all about AMD until sometime last year, when they started slipping.
Just my 2 cents.

hasspar

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
Oh and go for 2 640 gig WD's, the ones with the AAK in the serial...they are much better...plus as of last night they were the same price.

sleeperific

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
Well there are a few mail-in rebates.
Stuff that says free shipping individually, so I'm hoping for a break somewhere.

Between the PSU, MB, and GPU you can spend so much right there it's hard to believe.

I thought DFI was a decent motherboard company maybe I haven't done enough research on them.

The ASUS you picked looks to be a nice board. And it runs the 1600 not 800 RAM but all that bumps the build out of the budget....

sleeperific

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
Thanks Hasspar at this point in the adventure I don't even know if I could have confirmed AAK in the SN being better.
I want to stick with AMD because they deliver reliable performance out of the box and because they are not the leading CPU right now.
In some ways this makes since when you consider my goal to building this computer is to learn first of all, and then enjoy games, and not spend a lot of money chasing new technology. This stuff has been around and is tried and true.

Kinda like riding a technological wake.

The link you posted was to a 500gig not a 640 which is where I was headed in the first place so thank you again.
I'll pick up another one in a month or so and have the TB...... wu-who

Levi182

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
You can also get a pretty nice i7 system with 1200 you know, it would be so much faster tan what your getting now, and you wouldnt have to wait for an AM3, here is a wish list i spent like 10 minutes building its 1,100$ and it is an i7 system complete wit ha case with free shipping, and a fan for the i7, you might need more than a fan, maybey a heatsink but you can ask that in another post,
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=7908034

i sure hope you take i7 into consideration your computer would be so much faster

sleeperific

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
Well I suppose I could ask in another forum about the DFI board. The four reviews that were bad on NewEgg seemed like maybe they were flukes this might call for Google! aaaaaahhhhhh!

LEvi
Looks to me like the last MB you linked to can only support one pciE 2x16 and I wanna keep xfire as an option into the future.

Levi182

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009

Fine with me man

sleeperific

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009

Ok but I have $1200 to build the entire beast monitor mouse keyboard games. I would have a really fast computer with no way to use if I go the i7 route.

I do thank you for your input about the DFI MB.
I will look closely into this and make sure it's not junk.
This one in particular is a micro ATX and I don't really want this one because of that.
Just trying to stay with NewEgg and get a break on S&H...

hasspar

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
Whoops! Yeah well they're on newegg somewhere, the 640's that is.

Anywho for 1200 you dont wanna go i7...you have the right idea hanging out in the wake, getting really nasty deals on tried and true stuff. Build a nice system, and keep overclocking in mind.

You should beable to get a hell of a system for 1200 w/ i7's bringing down your prices :)

Gee how you managed to spec out a non Phenom 2 AMD rig for $8xx? Anyway my suggestion hehe
XFireDeneb.jpg

I believe at this price/performance the above rig will do both dual core and multi core optimized games extremely well on a 22" high/ultra high (non of that low/medium 1650 x 1050 crap in reviews!) :p