HELP! Accelero S1 Rev.2 Installation on ATI 4850

I'm a total noob at computers so I'm going to need some help on this one.
I'm trying to figure out if i need to buy any other vramsinks than the ones the accelero comes with? Also I've been hearing rumors that the ones that come with the accelero number up to only 6 when 8 is needed for the 4850, is that true?
also how would i get the vramsinks to stick? <-another problem people have been facing

another question, someone stated that the video card won't run if it doesn't detect a fan <-is that true?

last question
I'm thinking about just getting a 120mm fan and putting on the heatsink rather than buying the accelero fans, which way is the fan suppose to point to? is it suppose to blow cool air in or hot air out?

thanks in advance!
1 answer Last reply
More about help accelero installation 4850
  1. g3tsushi said:
    I'm a total noob at computers so I'm going to need some help on this one.
    I'm trying to figure out if i need to buy any other vramsinks than the ones the accelero comes with? Also I've been hearing rumors that the ones that come with the accelero number up to only 6 when 8 is needed for the 4850, is that true?
    also how would i get the vramsinks to stick? <-another problem people have been facing

another question, someone stated that the video card won't run if it doesn't detect a fan <-is that true?

last question
    I'm thinking about just getting a 120mm fan and putting on the heatsink rather than buying the accelero fans, which way is the fan suppose to point to? is it suppose to blow cool air in or hot air out?

thanks in advance!

I had/have the same setup. When i first installed the S1 on my 4850 i didn't put the heat sinks on the ram. The RAM modules are the 8 black squares surrounding the GPU. I had no fan directly on the S1 to cool it and when I would play intensive games (mostly STALKER clear sky) it would crash after 20 mins of play. At first i stopped playing the game and just played other games but with other games i would have glitches--maybe having to do with cooling or maybe not. I then bought a PCI dual fan and placed it in a PCI slot next to my 4850 S1 fan. it REALLY helped a lot. I could play STALKER with no problems and it was pretty fast too. here's a link

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&ei=AWynSey8NJmktQOQ2JneDw&resnum=0&q=Vantec+spectrum+fan+card&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=767229487205564420#ps-sellers

The fan is great because you can adjust the speed with a bar that sticks out the back of the computer.

About the VRAMsinks, i know they aren't very sticky because i tried putting them on later. I haven't seen anyone suggest super glue or anything. I don't know what a good glue would be. However i did take my northbridge heat sink off last week and saw a type of resin/glue between the chip and heat sink. maybe google a high temperature glue.
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Graphics