X58 options - anybody else frustrated?

Pearlallica

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2003
Hi everyone,

I'm a really frustrated consumer at the moment. I needed to vent because I need to know I'm not the only person in this boat.

I recently spent two thousand dollars on a custom computer build through newegg. I picked top of the line parts with speed in mind. (core i7, corsair dominator 1866mhz ddr3 6GB). The system was for my business (vista 64, photoshop 64, sony vegas 64, lightroom)

Without going into extensive details, my evga x58 3-SLI board came DOA. (will not post only when power is supplied to the processor)

If you research newegg reviews and look closer at the 0-star reviews, there are a lot of common cases - people getting dead boards.. having to RMA them.. and in some cases, receiving a SECOND dead board. If you look through all of the x58 motherboards that are available, the average top star rating is only 4 stars, with about 10%+ of people complaining about defective items.

I wanted a decent board that had even, efficient cooling, 6 module slots, good OC control, BUT MOST OF ALL - a high percentage of user validated boards that worked, especially under load.

Is it so much to ask for a product that works when you get it (or works for more than week)???

I swear, if there was a board on newegg with a ratio of 50 reviews for working boards for even 3 reviews of defective boards, and the cost was as high as 400 bucks, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Maybe people just tend to post negative reviews more than those that have good experiences and don't bother to post at all...

Some of these guys receiving boards are going as far as to buy 2 of everything to make sure they have a backup to reduce the time RMA'ing creates. If the item turns out to work, then they return it un-opened. Sounds like a crazy-expensive backup plan to me.

So, I don't know... in theory my EVGA board should have been sweet, and yes, given it won't be for regular 3x-SLI gaming (maybe a bit on the side at 1x) a little overkill. I liked the layout, it's cool look, it's OC features, but I would have liked it a whole lot better if it would have worked. Now I'm stuck using a laptop from 2002 while my business sits on hold. (it's a start-up and not entirely critical to have lost 2 weeks)

So with all of the x58 boards with similar user ratings/experiences, I can't even find a more reliable alternative. Even the Asus P6T V2 Deluxe has 13% hate reviews, a board I initially considered.

I considered the Asus P6T7 WS Workstation for it's expandability (superior video editing upgradability) but there is still 0 user reviews even though it appears to be in stock (what up with that?)

I probably have a false mindset about the situation given my (rare?) experience. I just can't afford the time to fuss around with this kind of nonsense. I don't like looking at this big, hollow thermaltake spedo case and boxed components next to me while time just ticks, ticks, ticks away...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Ahhhh

I've tested dozens of them and had narry a problem. I've seen loads of people setting them up wrong or unable to figure out workarounds for memory problems. Here's a few things to remember:

1.) A few guys have forgotten to connect the 8-pin EPS12V connector from the power supply to the motherboard. It sounds like that's not you.

2.) X58 motherboards don't use the first, third, and fifth memory slot, starting from the CPU socket. Instead, they use the second, fourth, and sixth slot. I can't give you slot numbers because everyone numbers them differently.

3.) DDR3-1866 provides no performance benefit over DDR3-1600 in applications, the only way you can prove its faster is in synthetic benchmarks like Sandra.

4.) NOW FOR EVGA! EVGA shipped out a bunch of board with a memory issue in BIOS that is solved simply by setting BIOS manually. But how can you do that if it won't boot? Easy. Install ONE module in the SECOND slot from the CPU.

Pearlallica

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2003

Many thanks for taking the time raise that unique insight. Had no idea about the bad batch of EVGA boards and the workaround. Also had no idea about software memory speed limitations. But at least I'm good to go when adobe decides to support 2000mhz.

I posted my particular problem on the EVGA forums and I'm far from the only person with the "doesn't boot but the menacing blue light stays on" problem. I determined that the board will boot with the cpu power connector unplugged, and not boot with it connected. The memory didn't factor in All was well for an hour, but things went randomly sour before I could get to the windows 7 RC installation.

But the intro to your message was alleviation to my worries. The reality check was refreshing. I might just look into that asus p6t7 after all...