Sign in with
Your question

External Hard Drive Clicking, can be found in device manager, but not in my comp

Last response: in Storage
July 27, 2010 10:39:37 AM

Hi, so my little brother most likely dropped my external hard drive, and ever since then when i plug it in it simply clicks madly for a few seconds then stops. The blue power light on the device itself(which is a portable 300 gb hp simplesave by the way) is flashing instead of having a continuous glow. My Computer does not recognize the harddrive, but the device manage and the safely remove hardware thing both have it shown. Is there any way or anything I can do to fix it myself so I can just transfer the files off it? I dont want to pay hundreds of dollars to a recovery service. Thanks in advance.
a b G Storage
July 27, 2010 12:39:20 PM

Well you can try and go into control panel/admin tools/computer managment/disk managment and try to assign a drive letter.... but the clicking is a sign that that drive has seen better days.
June 13, 2011 3:49:13 AM

gwehnyfar said:
Hi, so my little brother most likely dropped my external hard drive, and ever since then when i plug it in it simply clicks madly for a few seconds then stops. The blue power light on the device itself(which is a portable 300 gb hp simplesave by the way) is flashing instead of having a continuous glow. My Computer does not recognize the harddrive, but the device manage and the safely remove hardware thing both have it shown. Is there any way or anything I can do to fix it myself so I can just transfer the files off it? I dont want to pay hundreds of dollars to a recovery service. Thanks in advance.

the blue light is not blinking it is constant
a c 290 G Storage
June 13, 2011 6:26:57 AM

Are we to understand that your drive spins up normally and then begins clicking? Or does it click or buzz softly while attempting to spin up?

Was your drive spinning when it was dropped?
Related resources
!