Sign in with
Your question

Windows does not recognize my ram

Last response: in Memory
June 16, 2009 10:00:24 PM

i have a gateway gt5432 with windows vista 32 bit. i took out what ram it had (2 512 mb pieces) and put in 4 1 gb pieces. i know they are compatible because crucial told me so. the problem is windows is telling me that i only have 1 gb of ram. before i had all 4 1 gb pieces i had the two original pieces and 2 1 gb sticks. i had the same problem.

this is what everest tells me:
--------[ Memory ]-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Physical Memory:
Total 893 MB
Used 687 MB
Free 206 MB
Utilization 77 %

Swap Space:
Total 2860 MB
Used 1231 MB
Free 1629 MB
Utilization 43 %

Virtual Memory:
Total 3754 MB
Used 1918 MB
Free 1835 MB
Utilization 51 %

Physical Address Extension (PAE):
Supported by Operating System Yes
Supported by CPU Yes
Active Yes

my computer runs like it has 1 gb of ram, so i was wondering what the problem was, any help will be appreciated.

thanks in advance

More about : windows recognize ram

a b } Memory
June 16, 2009 10:29:50 PM

You haven't provided much useful information. Is the 4GB recognized during POST? If not, then how do you expect Vista to see it?

Go into the BIOS setup and confirm that the RAM configuration is correct.
June 17, 2009 5:07:49 AM

ko888 said:
You haven't provided much useful information. Is the 4GB recognized during POST? If not, then how do you expect Vista to see it?

Go into the BIOS setup and confirm that the RAM configuration is correct.

LOL You gotta be kidding me. What kind of jerk response is that?

Granted he has a point, but not very friendly. Try rebooting and entering your BIOS. This is usually done by pressing Delete or F8 during the boot up cycle (before windows loads). You can look through settings there and determine if your BIOS is showing the RAM properly. If it's not, you could possibly either have some bad memory chips, bad memory slots, or be in need of a BIOS update (or some other incompatibility issue).

The other thing I'd try, is simply putting 2 of the 1GB chips into the two slots your original 512 chips were in, since we know these slots work.

Reboot, and see if Windows shows 2GB total.

Also, do you have a graphics card installed?
Related resources
a b } Memory
June 17, 2009 6:58:35 AM

Download the latest copy of CPU-Z and run it.

Report back the contents of the Memory tab page. It will tell you the total amount of physical RAM installed and whether or not it is running in dual channel mode.

Report back the contents of the Memory Slot Selection group box in the SPD tab page for Slot #1 to Slot #4. It should tell you if the memory module is recognized in each memory slot and the module size detected in each memory slot.

This information would be more relevant than what Everest is telling you.
June 17, 2009 1:47:02 PM

Thanks everyone for your replies.

i have checked out my bios, but i can't find anywhere where it says how much ram i have. i could only find timing mode which is set to maxmemclk and also memory clock value or limit which is set to 800.

this is what CPU-Z says about memory:
Memory SPD
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIMM #1

General
Memory type DDR2
Module format Regular UDIMM
Manufacturer (ID) Corsair (7F7F9E0000000000)
Size 1024 MBytes
Max bandwidth PC2-6400 (400 MHz)
Part number CM2X1024-6400C4
Manufacturing date Week 23/Year 06

Attributes
Number of banks 2
Data width 64 bits
Correction None
Nominal Voltage 1.80 Volts
EPP yes (1 profiles)
XMP no

Timings table
Frequency (MHz) 270 400
CAS# 4.0 5.0
RAS# to CAS# delay 4 5
RAS# Precharge 4 5
TRAS 13 18
TRC 15 22

EPP profile 1 (full)
Voltage level 2.100 Volts
Address Command Rate 2T
Cycle time 2.500 ns (400.0 MHz)
tCL 4.0 clocks
tRCD 4 clocks (10.00 ns)
tRP 4 clocks (10.00 ns)
tRAS 12 clocks (30.00 ns)
tRC 22 clocks (55.00 ns)
tWR 6 clocks (15.00 ns)

and it also shows only the 4th slot has something in it.
for slot 4 it says:
ddr2
module size- 1024 Mb
max bandwith- PC2-6400 (400M Hz)
Manufacturer - corsair
correction - none
spd ext- EPP
week/year - 23/06

and no i have no video card except whats on my motherboard.

I am beginning to think i need a bios upgrade, but i'm not really sure.
This is what it CPU tells me about my bios

DMI BIOS
--------
vendor Phoenix Technologies, LTD
version 6.00 PG
date 04/04/2007

and my motherboard:

DMI Baseboard
-------------
vendor ELITEGROUP
model MCP61PM-AM
revision 1.0
serial unknown

thanks for helping

i have tried placing just two in the original spots, but it still only showed up as 1 gb.
a b } Memory
June 17, 2009 11:27:16 PM

Your description of the limited BIOS configurable settings seems to indicate that you have a locked BIOS (the pitfalls of buying a pre-built system).

Do the four 1GB modules have exactly the same model/part number? Were they purchased as matched sets or just as individual modules?

You said you had the same problem when you had the original pair of 512MB modules and then added two 1GB modules. Are you saying that it only recognized 1GB or more than 1GB? If this is true then was it recognizing the two 512MB modules or just one of the 1GB modules or was it recognizing both of the 512MB modules and only one of the 1GB modules?
June 17, 2009 11:28:44 PM

Either you're experiencing an incompatability issue, or your motherboard's memory slots are bad.
June 18, 2009 4:13:54 AM

unfortunatley i do not know if it was recognizing the 2- 512's or 1- 1 gb. i will play around with the slots and see if they are all working. does anyone know if i would need to update my bios? I do not really want to jump into that without knowing if i have to.

the memory was purchased as pairs in two seperate occasions.

not sure if they are the same model/part #. i will get back to you on that. i am not near my computer currently.

i am almost positive it is not an incompatability issue because if it can see one why wouldn't see the same item a few millimeters away.

possibly a bad slot. if that is the case i will be very upset at gateway.
June 18, 2009 5:22:07 AM

so here is what i found out by removing all of my ram and inserting one piece at a time in the different spots:

only slot four works.

so, does this mean i need a new mobo or is that just a huge clusterfuck?
a b } Memory
June 18, 2009 1:21:08 PM

breed9 said:
so here is what i found out by removing all of my ram and inserting one piece at a time in the different spots:

only slot four works.

so, does this mean i need a new mobo or is that just a huge clusterfuck?

On a Gateway, yes that will be a huge what you just said.
How old is this system? Since it is a prebuild, if it is still under warranty, (and even it is not) you should be on the phone with Gateway. Do not go about ranting and raving at them. Ask THEM what the problem could be, listen to them, and calmy, but firmly demand a solution to the problem.
September 5, 2009 6:13:52 PM

It is a mathematical limit.

32-bit system can address: 2 to the power of 32 = 4.3 GB different addresses as it has to handle other tasks than the RAM ( resources, motherboard, expansion cards, including the graphics card), it remains only about 2.8 to 3.3 GB of RAM addressable following configuration PC.
Only 3.0 to 3.5 GB of RAM is actually recognized, and this due to x86 memory architecture

http://helpwindows7.com/forum/
!