How To Get Full Screen Using Windows Media Encoder

July 11, 2004 2:06:19 AM

I would like to view my pocket PC movies in full screen
(not widescreen) so as to utilize the full 3.5" viewing
area of my Dell Axim.

I use Windows Media Encoder 9 to convert my VCD movies but
they only play back in the wide screen mode or mini mode.
What advanced options should I set on the encoder to get
my movies to play on the whole 3.5" screen?
Anonymous
July 11, 2004 8:19:08 PM

Well, the Axim and most other PPCs have 320x240 screen area for
fullscreen. I'm assuiming you mean Axim3 with windows media 9 ?

You can set up the conversion options by canceling out of the wizard
Or choose Custom Session) and going to the video size tab. Set Resize
Custom

If necessary Crop the video if you can stand to lose some left / right
to get a full 320x240 - some aspect ratios you're just going to have
to resign yourself to having black bands top & bottom, or cropping
some content off to get it to fill the screen. In general I think VCD
is 640x480 so it should just resize nicely.

I'd set for Axim3, to use compression of WMV9 variable bitrate, lets
say 200kbps and about 32-40 WMA8 audio VBR stereo. To do this, go to
the compression tab, pick the Pocket PC profile then pick bit rate
VBR.

Now go to the (probably 387kbps) tab and set frame rate about 15fps
and video bitrate 200kbps. Choose an audio format like 48kbps / 44khz
stereo to give you a total of about 250kbps overall. Your axim should
be able to keep up with that even on 200mhz processor speed setting.

Don't forget to save your profile before encoding in case of a crash,
and so you can use it again ;-)

Cheers - Neil

!