Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Is this a safe overclock speed for my i5 750?

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
July 21, 2010 3:35:33 AM

Ok so here are my specs:

CPU: i5 750
Motherboard: Gigabyte P55A UD3
RAM: g.skill 2 x 2gb ddr3 1600 mghz timiing is 7-8-7 24
GPU: xfx 5770

Ok so i overclocked my CPU to 3.7 mhz and im running the prime95 blend test so far its going good.

At 100% the temps are at around 60-67 with a high of 71 but it generally hovers around 64. The voltz are 1.36.

Ive only been running the test for about an hour. but it seems like overclocking to 3.7 shouldnt bee to hard to stabilize. I just dont wont anything to happen and want to make sure it is stable. I dont think my cpu will ever be at 100% playing cs source and COD4. not very demanding games. But just wanted to get you guys thoughts on the overclocking and if i should worry or if its ok.

I also didnt adjust my ram to the settings becuase i didnt want to mess with anything. tried adjusting only could get the 1480 so i just left it at what it is.

Anyways please give me your guys thoughts thanks.
July 21, 2010 4:25:39 AM

Best way to tell if its safe is to let it run overnight in Prime95 doing large FFTs to generate a lot of heat and then run it in bled after that. I would also call Gigabyte and ask them about the CPU voltage. I have an ASUS board and when I started to really fine tune my overclock they gave me all the baseline voltages I needed. I don't know anything about the i5 750, so if you are worried about voltage, lower it a bit and see if it will still be stable at a lower setting.

Also, do you have an aftermarket CPU cooler, or are you using the stock cooler?
m
0
l
July 21, 2010 4:28:49 AM

Poisoner said:
Best way to tell if its safe is to let it run overnight in Prime95 doing large FFTs to generate a lot of heat and then run it in bled after that. I would also call Gigabyte and ask them about the CPU voltage. I have an ASUS board and when I started to really fine tune my overclock they gave me all the baseline voltages I needed. I don't know anything about the i5 750, so if you are worried about voltage, lower it a bit and see if it will still be stable at a lower setting.

Also, do you have an aftermarket CPU cooler, or are you using the stock cooler?

yes sorry i have a coolermaster hyper 212 on it. I already know it can get to 4.0 mhz just wanted to get peoples thouights on this oc.
m
0
l
Related resources
July 21, 2010 4:32:10 AM

Just make sure your temps are okay. Athlon IIs run a lot cooler and my CPU doesn't break 42C, mostly stays at 40. I'd say the most important things are going to be your voltage and the temps. Too much voltage can hurt the processor without completely nuking it. My 620 doesn't overclock as high as it used to after I set it a little high once. I got very lucky on that one. Also, what kind of power supply do you have?
m
0
l
July 21, 2010 5:31:13 AM

Poisoner said:
Just make sure your temps are okay. Athlon IIs run a lot cooler and my CPU doesn't break 42C, mostly stays at 40. I'd say the most important things are going to be your voltage and the temps. Too much voltage can hurt the processor without completely nuking it. My 620 doesn't overclock as high as it used to after I set it a little high once. I got very lucky on that one. Also, what kind of power supply do you have?

I have a corsair 650 watt power supply. should be good enough for plenty of power.
m
0
l
July 21, 2010 5:56:45 AM

heh, I just sold my 650w corsair cause I am getting a 750w corsair. It was such a good little box. All voltages within 1% of spec.
m
0
l
July 21, 2010 6:32:47 AM

Yea I new corsair is a good company very solid. Do u know how I can set my RAM up with proper timings? The BIOS shows 9-9-9 and and on auto and .1333 but supposed to he 1600 and 7-8-7
m
0
l
July 21, 2010 3:14:25 PM

Ram timings go above my head.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
July 21, 2010 4:13:02 PM

What is your VTT voltage at? If you higher the VTT/QPI voltage you will be able to drop the CPU core voltage, The two should be pretty close to each other. In my opinion 1.36 core voltage is a bit much for an i5 at 3.7ghz.

m
0
l
July 21, 2010 4:23:27 PM

i basically just followed this video i didnt manually adjust the voltz. I still need helpw ith the ram though
m
0
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a c 100 K Overclocking
July 21, 2010 5:12:22 PM

cromedome said:
What is your VTT voltage at? If you higher the VTT/QPI voltage you will be able to drop the CPU core voltage, The two should be pretty close to each other. In my opinion 1.36 core voltage is a bit much for an i5 at 3.7ghz.


This.

That's more voltage than I'm using at 4ghz.

At 175 base clock with Turbo ON, for 3.68ghz to 4.2ghz turbo, I had it at 1.306Vcore and 1.206VTT/IMC/QPI. Turning off turbo, I set it to 200x20 for 4ghz and I'm using 1.35Vcore 1.25Vtt (or thereabouts).
Share
July 21, 2010 5:26:22 PM

wolfram23 said:
This.

That's more voltage than I'm using at 4ghz.

At 175 base clock with Turbo ON, for 3.68ghz to 4.2ghz turbo, I had it at 1.306Vcore and 1.206VTT/IMC/QPI. Turning off turbo, I set it to 200x20 for 4ghz and I'm using 1.35Vcore 1.25Vtt (or thereabouts).

should i manually adjust voltages? i just followed that video i posted. everything is working im sure i can make it more efficient with voltz adjustmetns though. possibly higher clocking. runing in 30's at idle and with prime 95 at 100% load (only ran for about 2 hours) 63-69 temps wise.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a c 100 K Overclocking
July 21, 2010 5:37:18 PM

Yes, definitely fine tune yourself. All CPUs and mobos are slightly different, have different requirements and quirks. You can copy and paste voltages to get it at least running, but you shouldn't ever trust someone else's voltagse to be right.
m
0
l
July 21, 2010 5:40:45 PM

wolfram23 said:
Yes, definitely fine tune yourself. All CPUs and mobos are slightly different, have different requirements and quirks. You can copy and paste voltages to get it at least running, but you shouldn't ever trust someone else's voltagse to be right.

Well on the video he didnt manually set any voltages as you see. He let the motherboard adjust the voltz itself with one of the settings in bios. It give makes sure to have a little extra voltz. BUt yes i may try and manually set it not sure where to start though at 3.7mhz im currently at.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a c 100 K Overclocking
July 21, 2010 5:48:28 PM

Oh man, auto isn't good. It's either over or under volting, if it gets it just right it's because you set the speed to just the perfect setting.

For example, at stock you're being overvolted. This is true because if you manually set the voltages to the same value, you can get more speed out of the CPU.

On the other hand, on auto, there's a certain point where it becomes unstable. I think I found it to be around 170 base clock in my PC. Higher than this and it didn't get enough voltage.

Definitely take it off auto and figure out the best combination of Vcore and VTT. They should be fairly close, usually Vcore isn't more than 0.1V higher.

Start by lowering Vcore until it's unstable (running LinX or Intel Burn Test is a fast way to find out). If unstable, increase VTT until stable. Repeat. You should probably make 0.01 to 0.02V increments to speed it up a bit. When fine tuning I go by my mobo's lowest amount, 0.00625V increments.
m
0
l
July 21, 2010 5:59:47 PM

for 3.8mhz what voltz should i start out with for each and gradually lower? if you have any idea would help. i dont want the cpu voltz to go over 1.4 voltz to be safe.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a c 100 K Overclocking
July 21, 2010 6:22:03 PM

I'm not trying to be mean here, but you really need to figure it out for yourself. That's kind of the point. Yours might need more or less than another identical system. Running too little is bad as you can get crashes at very bad times and also potentially cause corrupt data. Too much isn't as bad if your temps are still acceptable, but it will wear on the life of the CPU more - how much is impossible to say right now.

If you want a starting point, try 1.3 Vcore and 1.2Vtt. I'm sure you'll need slightly more tho. Maybe 1.21 or 1.22 Vtt, and 1.31Vcore. I don't know. That's for you to find out.
m
0
l
July 21, 2010 6:27:09 PM

thanks i will do some tweaking and how long should i run the test to see if its stable i guess there is no real time but im saying a good solid time. Im generally not gaming on my computer for more than 2 hours.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a c 100 K Overclocking
July 21, 2010 6:42:06 PM

Depends on the test you run. I like Intel Burn Test, High stress for 5 runs when doing voltage adjustments. If I like the voltages and it passes 5 runs, I'll do 15. If it passes that it's pretty stable. If you want to really guarantee stability you can run Prime95 overnight for 8 to 10 hours.
m
0
l
July 21, 2010 6:46:46 PM

Thanks really appreciate ur imput and help.
m
0
l
July 21, 2010 7:17:59 PM

Best answer selected by k1ngkev1n1.
m
0
l
!