DirecTV satellite info - anyone know where to get this info?

Last response: in Home Theatre
July 15, 2004 12:34:12 AM

Becuase of problems in reception, I'm trying to get a hold of the information of
which transponders are on which of the 3 main DirecTV satellites AND which
channels are carried on which of the transponder frequencies.

I've asked DirecTV. They don't know. The only solutions they offer is to send
someone out (not sure if HE would know, either, these guys just aim the dishes
and test for transponder strength).

I'd love to find out the information on these transponders and a list of which
channels come from which so that I could 'see' the pattern in which channels
lose their signals at what times.

Also of interest would be to know HOW some of these are broadcast; for instance,
local channels may be 'aimed' at a given region, hence a stronger signal there.

Any knowledge of such information would be appreciated
Anonymous
July 15, 2004 6:24:34 AM

Since it makes no difference which channels are carried on which
transponders you won't be getting that information from DirecTV - the
channels are compressed together based upon a lot of variables and change
transponders as needed due to capacity issues.
If your dish is aimed properly at 101 degrees you will get at least 90 on
all the transponders you need to see. The local channels are on spot beams
so you receive only the locals for your area based on where you are.
All the main services are on the 101 bird. Secondary services are on the
119 degree bird with the remainder on 110 degrees. A three feed wide dish
that is aimed properly will get enough signal on all three birds so as not
to cause reception losses. If you have trouble with the signal going away
you need the dish aimed properly or perhaps relocated to a better location.
The signal should not go away on a clear day.

"Stellijer" <howapropos@hotmail.nospam.com> wrote in message
> Becuase of problems in reception, I'm trying to get a hold of the
information of
> which transponders are on which of the 3 main DirecTV satellites AND which
> channels are carried on which of the transponder frequencies.
>
> I've asked DirecTV. They don't know. The only solutions they offer is to
send
> someone out (not sure if HE would know, either, these guys just aim the
dishes
> and test for transponder strength).
>
> I'd love to find out the information on these transponders and a list of
which
> channels come from which so that I could 'see' the pattern in which
channels
> lose their signals at what times.
>
> Also of interest would be to know HOW some of these are broadcast; for
instance,
> local channels may be 'aimed' at a given region, hence a stronger signal
there.

> Any knowledge of such information would be appreciated

Anonymous
July 15, 2004 6:24:35 AM

Hello and thanks again for the info.

As for a "properly aimed dish getting at least 90 on all the transponders", I
get over 90 on some, down to 40 on others, and 0 on some. Naturally, this
cannot all be ascribed to an improperly aimed dish.

I agree the dish may need to be relocated; I'm afraid the installer may have
placed it in a location where tree growth would occlude the 'bird' at 101. The
curiosity is why some transponders are *SO* much stronger than others. Hence
why I wanted that data; to figure out WHY I have the discrepancy. An improperly
aimed dish may receive signals better from an ENTIRELY different location but a
vast discrepancy of signals from the same location in space makes one wonder.

I have gotten SOME of this information and some makes sense. For instance, some
of my "0" level transponders carry channels I'm not getting at all. (I got a
'map' of which channels are on which transponders). But it looks like I have 2
distinct questions:

1. Why are some transponders so weak while others are quite strong? To my
knowledge I get nothing from the 110&119 sats
2. Why are some of my odd numbered channels now not coming in AT ALL?

I don't know if these problems have the same cause. There may be a technical
problem which has to do with odd-numbered transponders... and at the same time
the weak signals come from occlusion.

thesatguy <jdolan1@houston.rr.com> wrote in message
> Since it makes no difference which channels are carried on which
> transponders you won't be getting that information from DirecTV - the
> channels are compressed together based upon a lot of variables and change
> transponders as needed due to capacity issues.
> If your dish is aimed properly at 101 degrees you will get at least 90 on
> all the transponders you need to see. The local channels are on spot beams
> so you receive only the locals for your area based on where you are.
> All the main services are on the 101 bird. Secondary services are on the
> 119 degree bird with the remainder on 110 degrees. A three feed wide dish
> that is aimed properly will get enough signal on all three birds so as not
> to cause reception losses. If you have trouble with the signal going away
> you need the dish aimed properly or perhaps relocated to a better location.
> The signal should not go away on a clear day.
>
> "Stellijer" <howapropos@hotmail.nospam.com> wrote in message
> > Becuase of problems in reception, I'm trying to get a hold of the
> information of
> > which transponders are on which of the 3 main DirecTV satellites AND which
> > channels are carried on which of the transponder frequencies.
> >
> > I've asked DirecTV. They don't know. The only solutions they offer is to
> send
> > someone out (not sure if HE would know, either, these guys just aim the
> dishes
> > and test for transponder strength).
> >
> > I'd love to find out the information on these transponders and a list of
> which
> > channels come from which so that I could 'see' the pattern in which
> channels
> > lose their signals at what times.
> >
> > Also of interest would be to know HOW some of these are broadcast; for
> instance,
> > local channels may be 'aimed' at a given region, hence a stronger signal
> there.
> >
> > Any knowledge of such information would be appreciated

July 15, 2004 6:47:12 PM

sounds like your lnbf is bad
that would explain the various signal levels - if you get 90s on some then
the others would not be lower than say 85 or just a tad lower - you will get
0 on those on spot beams you cannot see.

> [...]
is to
> > send
> > > someone out (not sure if HE would know, either, these guys just aim
the
> > dishes
> > > and test for transponder strength).
> > >
> > > I'd love to find out the information on these transponders and a list
of
> > which
> > > channels come from which so that I could 'see' the pattern in which
> > channels
> > > lose their signals at what times.
> > >
> > > Also of interest would be to know HOW some of these are broadcast; for
> > instance,
> > > local channels may be 'aimed' at a given region, hence a stronger
signal
> > there.
> > >
> > > Any knowledge of such information would be appreciated

July 15, 2004 6:47:13 PM

What, exactly, is "LNBF"? I understand that dishes are either single of dual
"LNB", and that the term referes to the reception mechanism, but I'm not sure
what the components are. I also don't know what the "F" would mean (or if
you're referring to the mechanism in the dish which receives or the mechanism in
the receiver which 'decodes').

I understand the physics and mechanics of broadcast and reception, in general,
fairly well, but I'm far from expert at the circuitry in sat systems :)

Yes, I agree that I shouldn't get lower than around 85 or so on some
transponders if it was alignment or occlusion of the signal by a branch. Yet,
as I said, I get 95-98 on a couple of them, 60s on others and as low as 40 on
some others and then 0 on a bunch of them.

Why would I not see these spot beams? What in the LNBF would do this? Could it
be the wiring, too?

> [...]
> > > If your dish is aimed properly at 101 degrees you will get at least 90
> on
> > > all the transponders you need to see. The local channels are on spot
> beams
> > > so you receive only the locals for your area based on where you are.
> > > All the main services are on the 101 bird. Secondary services are on
> the
> > > 119 degree bird with the remainder on 110 degrees. A three feed wide
> dish
> > > that is aimed properly will get enough signal on all three birds so as
> not
> > > to cause reception losses. If you have trouble with the signal going
> away
> > > you need the dish aimed properly or perhaps relocated to a better
> location.
> > > The signal should not go away on a clear day.

In the interim since my last reply an hour or so ago, I tried something.

I just HAPPENED to have a spare dish from someone who demolished a structure. I
tried swapping out the little LNB from the spare dish to my main dish and
hooking up the lead to the similar connector (the one cable was connected to the
connector on thr right, if you're looking at the connectors on the LNB - I don't
know if it matters).

I unplugged the received for a while then when plugging it back in I got the
exact same kinds of levels including the zeros on the odd transponders.

Should I suspect the receiver itself?

> [...]
> > > If your dish is aimed properly at 101 degrees you will get at least 90
> on
> > > all the transponders you need to see. The local channels are on spot
> beams
> > > so you receive only the locals for your area based on where you are.
> > > All the main services are on the 101 bird. Secondary services are on
> the
> > > 119 degree bird with the remainder on 110 degrees. A three feed wide
> dish
> > > that is aimed properly will get enough signal on all three birds so as
> not
> > > to cause reception losses. If you have trouble with the signal going
> away
> > > you need the dish aimed properly or perhaps relocated to a better
> location.
> > > The signal should not go away on a clear day.

July 15, 2004 6:47:14 PM

> What, exactly, is "LNBF"? I understand that dishes are either single of
dual
> "LNB", and that the term referes to the reception mechanism, but I'm not
sure
> what the components are. I also don't know what the "F" would mean (or if
> you're referring to the mechanism in the dish which receives or the
mechanism in
> the receiver which 'decodes').
>
> I understand the physics and mechanics of broadcast and reception, in
general,
> fairly well, but I'm far from expert at the circuitry in sat systems :)
>
> Yes, I agree that I shouldn't get lower than around 85 or so on some
> transponders if it was alignment or occlusion of the signal by a branch.
Yet,
> as I said, I get 95-98 on a couple of them, 60s on others and as low as 40
on
> some others and then 0 on a bunch of them.
>
> Why would I not see these spot beams? What in the LNBF would do this?
Could it
> be the wiring, too?

LNBF is the same thing as LNB.
If you have a dealer nearby, take it in and have it checked. Most of them
don't charge for this.
July 16, 2004 7:14:35 AM

It's not the receiver!,... If your receiving only odd, or even transponders
then you have a cabling/connection problem. Make sure all your cabling is
RG-6! Some people on this group will tell you RG-59 will suffice. WRONG!

Another common problem is using a CATV splitter. It won't handle the mHz
frequency and will cancel-out a "side" (which refers to your odd/even
transponders).

Another common problem is faulty connectors, (F connectors installed with
either shielding or strands coming into contact with the core, or not making
contact with the connector (bad crimp).

FYI:

DirecTV USA at 101.0°W

February 1, 2004

CHANNEL ORDER

TRANSPONDER ORDER

CH
Channel Name
TP

CH
Channel Name
TP

80
CBS-HD New York
8

107
Blockbuster Ticket PPV
1

81
CBS-HD Los Angeles
16

111
Blockbuster Ticket PPV
1

82
CBS-HD Customer Information
9

112
Blockbuster Ticket PPV
1

100
DTV PPV Previews
13

114
Blockbuster Ticket PPV
1

101
DirecTV Sports PPV
21

116
Blockbuster Ticket PPV
1

103
DirecTV Freeview Events Series
25

160
Blockbuster Ticket PPV
1

105
PPV Info & Events
11

168
Blockbuster Ticket PPV
1

106
Blockbuster Ticket PPV
27

180
Directors Theatre PPV
1

107
Blockbuster Ticket PPV
1

253
Lifetime Movie Network
1

108
Blockbuster Ticket PPV
24

317
QVC US
1

109
Blockbuster Ticket PPV
29

595
Playboy TV
1

111
Blockbuster Ticket PPV
1

598
The Hot Zone
1

112
Blockbuster Ticket PPV
1

623
NESN - New England Sports Net
1

114
Blockbuster Ticket PPV
1

242
USA Network
2

115
Blockbuster Ticket PPV
24

256
TCM - Turner Classic Movies
2

116
Blockbuster Ticket PPV
1

265
A&E - Arts & Entertainment
2

117
Blockbuster Ticket PPV
3

278
Discovery Channel
2

118
Blockbuster Ticket PPV
5

290
The Disney Channel East
2

121
Blockbuster Ticket PPV
3

296
Cartoon Network
2

122
Blockbuster Ticket PPV
8

325
Spike TV
2

124
Blockbuster Ticket PPV
29

327
CMT - Country Music Channel
2

125
Blockbuster Ticket PPV
3

355
CNBC
2

130
Blockbuster Ticket PPV
27

362
The Weather Channel
2

134
Blockbuster Ticket PPV
16

526
Encore East
2

135
Blockbuster Ticket PPV
23

811
® R & B & Hip Hop
2

138
Blockbuster Ticket PPV
27

812
® Rap
2

140
Blockbuster Ticket PPV
23

828
® Today's Country
2

142
Blockbuster Ticket PPV
23

841
® Blues
2

145
Blockbuster Ticket PPV
8

117
Blockbuster Ticket PPV
3

151
Blockbuster Ticket PPV
3

121
Blockbuster Ticket PPV
3

152
Blockbuster Ticket PPV
3

125
Blockbuster Ticket PPV
3

160
Blockbuster Ticket PPV
1

151
Blockbuster Ticket PPV
3

168
Blockbuster Ticket PPV
1

152
Blockbuster Ticket PPV
3

170
Blockbuster Ticket PPV
32

201
Customer News
3

171
DirecTV Adult PPV
27

224
TV Guide
3

180
Directors Theatre PPV
1

227
Infomercial Channel
3

183
Sale PPV
23

350
C-SPAN
3

190
Special PPV
7

366
Newsworld International
3

191
Special PPV
16

368
FIT TV
3

195
Special PPV
7

596
Spice Platinum
3

200
DTV PPV Previews
11

601
NBA TV
3

201
Customer News
3

118
Blockbuster Ticket PPV
5

202
CNN USA
10

207
ESPNews
5

203
Court TV
25

208
ESPN Classic
5

204
CNN Headline News
10

231
Food Network US
5

206
ESPN
10

262
SoapNet
5

207
ESPNews
5

299
Nickelodeon East
5

208
ESPN Classic
5

301
TV Land
5

209
ESPN 2
29

520
Starz! East
5

212
NFL Network
19

523
Black Starz!
5

218
Order MEGA MAR MAD'S here!
29

550
IFC US
5

219
DIRECTV Channel
10

606
Outdoor Channel
5

220
DIRECTV Sports Schedule
21

626
Empire Sports Network
5

222
DTV Customer Info
16

809
® Classic R & B
5

224
TV Guide
3

838
® Soundscapes
5

227
Infomercial Channel
3

839
® Smooth Jazz
5

228
Gem Shopping Network
7

840
® Jazz
5

229
HGTV US
15

860
® Classic R&B
5

230
DIY - Do It Yourself Network
17

458
JA3-TV (NBC - Jackson)
6

231
Food Network US
5

459
JA12-TV (CBS - Jackson)
6

232
Fine Living
29

460
JA16-TV (ABC - Jackson)
6

234
Shop At Home
30

461
JA27-TV (UPN - Jackson)
6

236
E! Entertainment TV
9

462
JA29-TV (PBS - Jackson)
6

239
Celebrity Shopping Network
9

463
JA40-TV (WB - Jackson)
6

240
HSN - Home Shopping Network
13

464
JA35-TV (FOX - Jackson)
6

242
USA Network
2

479
SP3-TV (ABC - Shreveport)
6

243
America's Store
19

480
SP6-TV (NBC - Shreveport)
6

244
Sci-Fi
19

481
SP12-TV (CBS - Shreveport)
6

245
TNT
10

482
SP24-TV (PBS - Shreveport)
6

246
Fight Satellite Taxes
9

483
SP33-TV (FOX - Shreveport)
6

247
TBS Superstation
10

484
SP45-TV (UPN - Shreveport)
6

248
FX
15

190
Special PPV
7

249
Comedy Central
17

195
Special PPV
7

251
Oxygen TV Network
11

228
Gem Shopping Network
7

252
Lifetime
9

271
The History Channel Int'l
7

253
Lifetime Movie Network
1

302
Nicktoons
7

254
AMC - American Movie Classics
19

309
GSN - Game Show Network
7

255
Pax TV
9

333
MTV 2
7

256
TCM - Turner Classic Movies
2

404
Galavisión US
7

258
Fox Movie Channel
27

530
Mystery
7

260
WE - Women's Entertainment
9

533
WAM!
7

262
SoapNet
5

597
The Hot Network
7

264
BBC America
25

622
YES Network
7

265
A&E - Arts & Entertainment
2

624
Fox Sports New York
7

266
The Biography Channel
11

802
® Showcase 1
7

269
The History Channel
27

816
® Metal
7

271
The History Channel Int'l
7

817
® Alternative Rock
7

273
Bravo US
29

820
® Progressive/Adult Alternative
7

276
National Geographic Channel
25

80
CBS-HD New York
8

277
Travel Channel
29

122
Blockbuster Ticket PPV
8

278
Discovery Channel
2

145
Blockbuster Ticket PPV
8

279
Discovery Health
13

942
LA9-TV (IND - Los Angeles)
8

280
TLC - The Learning Channel
17

976
HN48-TV (TEL - Houston)
8

282
Animal Planet
11

998
DIRECTV Pricing and Packaging
8

284
Discovery Science Channel
19

82
CBS-HD Customer Information
9

285
Discovery Times Channel
19

236
E! Entertainment TV
9

286
Discovery Home & Leisure
27

239
Celebrity Shopping Network
9

287
Discovery Wings Channel
15

246
Fight Satellite Taxes
9

290
The Disney Channel East
2

252
Lifetime
9

291
The Disney Channel West
23

255
Pax TV
9

292
Toon Disney
11

260
WE - Women's Entertainment
9

294
Discovery Kids
21

531
True Stories
9

295
PBS Kids
19

532
Action
9

296
Cartoon Network
2

605
The Golf Channel
9

297
Boomerang
11

630
Fox Sports South
9

298
Nick Noggin
21

647
Fox Sports Midwest
9

299
Nickelodeon East
5

815
® Power Rock
9

300
Nickelodeon West
21

851
® Tejano
9

301
TV Land
5

856
® Power Rock
9

302
Nicktoons
7

857
® Party Favorites
9

307
WGN Superstation (Chicago)
11

858
® Soft Album Mix
9

309
GSN - Game Show Network
7

864
® Tejano
9

311
ABC Family
10

202
CNN USA
10

312
Hallmark Channel US
21

204
CNN Headline News
10

315
TRIO
13

206
ESPN
10

317
QVC US
1

219
DIRECTV Channel
10

321
World Harvest Television
13

245
TNT
10

325
Spike TV
2

247
TBS Superstation
10

327
CMT - Country Music Channel
2

311
ABC Family
10

329
BET - Black Entertainment TV
15

380
NY2-TV (CBS - New York)
10

331
MTV
11

382
NY4-TV (NBC - New York)
10

333
MTV 2
7

384
PBS X
10

335
VH 1
25

386
NY7-TV (ABC - New York)
10

337
VH 1 Classic
27

388
NY5-TV (FOX - New York)
10

339
FUSE
25

500
DTV Movies and Sports This Week
10

340
Direct Shopping Network (00-06)
25

819
® Classic Rock
10

350
C-SPAN
3

822
® Hit List
10

351
C-SPAN 2
25

823
® 80's
10

353
Bloomberg TV US
27

824
® 70's
10

354
Tech TV
25

880
NY2-TV (CBS - New York)
10

355
CNBC
2

881
NY4-TV (NBC - New York)
10

356
MSNBC
23

882
NY5-TV (FOX - New York)
10

357
CNBC World
25

883
NY7-TV (ABC - New York)
10

358
CNN Financial Network (Mon-Fri)
15

105
PPV Info & Events
11

358
CNN International (Sat-Sun)
15

200
DTV PPV Previews
11

360
Fox News Channel
27

251
Oxygen TV Network
11

362
The Weather Channel
2

266
The Biography Channel
11

366
Newsworld International
3

282
Animal Planet
11

367
ACN Jewelry Television
21

292
Toon Disney
11

368
FIT TV
3

297
Boomerang
11

369
Daystar TV
13

307
WGN Superstation (Chicago)
11

370
ShopNBC
13

331
MTV
11

371
The Church Channel
11

371
The Church Channel
11

372
TBN - Trinity Broadcasting Net
19

402
Univisión
11

373
The Word
19

628
Fox Sports Pittsburgh
11

375
WorldLink TV
17

652
Fox Sports West
11

377
PBS You
17

653
Fox Sports West 2
11

380
NY2-TV (CBS - New York)
10

100
DTV PPV Previews
13

381
LA2-TV (CBS - Los Angeles)
22

240
HSN - Home Shopping Network
13

382
NY4-TV (NBC - New York)
10

279
Discovery Health
13

383
LA4-TV (NBC - Los Angeles)
22

315
TRIO
13

384
PBS X
10

321
World Harvest Television
13

386
NY7-TV (ABC - New York)
10

369
Daystar TV
13

387
LA7-TV (ABC - Los Angeles)
22

370
ShopNBC
13

388
NY5-TV (FOX - New York)
10

528
Love Stories
13

389
LA11-TV (FOX - Los Angeles)
22

593
Adult Special Offer
13

398
LA Broadcast Center
17

594
ATOS - A Taste of Spice
13

402
Univisión
11

613
Fox Sports World
13

404
Galavisión US
7

637
Fox Sports Ohio Cleveland
13

440
TU3-TV (TFT - Tucson)
22

814
® New Wave
13

441
TU4-TV (NBC - Tucson)
22

821
® Soft Rock
13

442
TU6-TV (PBS - Tucson)
22

825
® Solid Gold Oldies
13

443
TU9-TV (ABC - Tucson)
22

850
® Mexicana
13

444
TU11-TV (FOX - Tucson)
22

861
® Mexicana
13

445
TU13-TV (CBS - Tucson)
22

465
WB16-TV (ABC - Wilkes-Barre)
14

446
TU18-TV (UPN - Tucson)
22

466
WB22-TV (CBS - Wilkes-Barre)
14

448
TU58-TV (WB - Tucson)
22

467
WB28-TV (NBC - Wilkes-Barre)
14

458
JA3-TV (NBC - Jackson)
6

468
WB38-TV (WB - Wilkes-Barre)
14

459
JA12-TV (CBS - Jackson)
6

469
WB44-TV (PBS - Wilkes-Barre)
14

460
JA16-TV (ABC - Jackson)
6

470
WB56-TV (FOX - Wilkes-Barre)
14

461
JA27-TV (UPN - Jackson)
6

472
DM5-TV (ABC - Des Moines)
14

462
JA29-TV (PBS - Jackson)
6

473
DM8-TV (CBS - Des Moines)
14

463
JA40-TV (WB - Jackson)
6

474
DM11-TV (PBS - Des Moines)
14

464
JA35-TV (FOX - Jackson)
6

475
DM13-TV (NBC - Des Moines)
14

465
WB16-TV (ABC - Wilkes-Barre)
14

476
DM17-TV (FOX - Des Moines)
14

466
WB22-TV (CBS - Wilkes-Barre)
14

477
DM23-TV (WB - Des Moines)
14

467
WB28-TV (NBC - Wilkes-Barre)
14

229
HGTV US
15

468
WB38-TV (WB - Wilkes-Barre)
14

248
FX
15

469
WB44-TV (PBS - Wilkes-Barre)
14

287
Discovery Wings Channel
15

470
WB56-TV (FOX - Wilkes-Barre)
14

329
BET - Black Entertainment TV
15

472
DM5-TV (ABC - Des Moines)
14

358
CNN Financial Network (Mon-Fri)
15

473
DM8-TV (CBS - Des Moines)
14

358
CNN International (Sat-Sun)
15

474
DM11-TV (PBS - Des Moines)
14

521
Starz! West
15

475
DM13-TV (NBC - Des Moines)
14

527
Encore West
15

476
DM17-TV (FOX - Des Moines)
14

529
Westerns
15

477
DM23-TV (WB - Des Moines)
14

620
Fox Sports New England
15

479
SP3-TV (ABC - Shreveport)
6

632
Sunshine Network
15

480
SP6-TV (NBC - Shreveport)
6

806
® Sounds of the Season
15

481
SP12-TV (CBS - Shreveport)
6

829
® Classic Country
15

482
SP24-TV (PBS - Shreveport)
6

833
® Easy Listening
15

483
SP33-TV (FOX - Shreveport)
6

842
® Gospel
15

484
SP45-TV (UPN - Shreveport)
6

81
CBS-HD Los Angeles
16

500
DTV Movies and Sports This Week
10

134
Blockbuster Ticket PPV
16

501
HBO East
32

191
Special PPV
16

502
HBO Plus East
30

222
DTV Customer Info
16

503
HBO Signature
32

940
LA5-TV (WB - Los Angeles)
16

504
HBO West
32

999
Local Channel Information
16

505
HBO Plus West
30

230
DIY - Do It Yourself Network
17

507
HBO Family East
30

249
Comedy Central
17

508
HBO Family West
30

280
TLC - The Learning Channel
17

512
Cinemax East
30

375
WorldLink TV
17

513
MoreMax
32

377
PBS You
17

514
Cinemax West
32

398
LA Broadcast Center
17

520
Starz! East
5

522
Starz! Theater East
17

521
Starz! West
15

607
Speed Channel
17

522
Starz! Theater East
17

641
Fox Sports North
17

523
Black Starz!
5

649
Fox Sports Arizona
17

526
Encore East
2

818
® Rock
17

527
Encore West
15

826
® Bluegrass
17

528
Love Stories
13

830
® Big Band & Swing
17

529
Westerns
15

831
® Singers & Standards
17

530
Mystery
7

212
NFL Network
19

531
True Stories
9

243
America's Store
19

532
Action
9

244
Sci-Fi
19

533
WAM!
7

254
AMC - American Movie Classics
19

537
Showtime East
32

284
Discovery Science Channel
19

538
Showtime Too
32

285
Discovery Times Channel
19

539
Showtime Showcase
32

295
PBS Kids
19

540
Showtime West
32

372
TBN - Trinity Broadcasting Net
19

542
Showtime Extreme
30

373
The Word
19

544
The Movie Channel East
30

612
Fuel
19

545
The Movie Channel West
30

638
Fox Sports Ohio Cincinnati
19

547
Flix
30

834
® Classical Masterpieces
19

549
Sundance Channel
30

836
® Light Classical
19

550
IFC US
5

843
® Contemporary Christian
19

580
DIRECTV Free Concert
25

863
® Taste of Italy
19

593
Adult Special Offer
13

101
DirecTV Sports PPV
21

594
ATOS - A Taste of Spice
13

220
DIRECTV Sports Schedule
21

595
Playboy TV
1

294
Discovery Kids
21

596
Spice Platinum
3

298
Nick Noggin
21

597
The Hot Network
7

300
Nickelodeon West
21

598
The Hot Zone
1

312
Hallmark Channel US
21

600
DirecTV Sports Schedule
21

367
ACN Jewelry Television
21

601
NBA TV
3

600
DirecTV Sports Schedule
21

602
TVG Horse Racing
27

604
DirecTV Sports PPV
21

604
DirecTV Sports PPV
21

634
Fox Sports Florida
21

605
The Golf Channel
9

645
Fox Sports Rocky Mountain
21

606
Outdoor Channel
5

753
DirecTV Sports Schedule
21

607
Speed Channel
17

813
® Dance
21

608
Outdoor Life Network
23

865
® Contemporary Instrumentals
21

610
College Sports TV
29

381
LA2-TV (CBS - Los Angeles)
22

612
Fuel
19

383
LA4-TV (NBC - Los Angeles)
22

613
Fox Sports World
13

387
LA7-TV (ABC - Los Angeles)
22

620
Fox Sports New England
15

389
LA11-TV (FOX - Los Angeles)
22

621
MSG Network
23

440
TU3-TV (TFT - Tucson)
22

622
YES Network
7

441
TU4-TV (NBC - Tucson)
22

623
NESN - New England Sports Net
1

442
TU6-TV (PBS - Tucson)
22

624
Fox Sports New York
7

443
TU9-TV (ABC - Tucson)
22

626
Empire Sports Network
5

444
TU11-TV (FOX - Tucson)
22

628
Fox Sports Pittsburgh
11

445
TU13-TV (CBS - Tucson)
22

629
Comcast SportsNet MidAtlantic
23

446
TU18-TV (UPN - Tucson)
22

630
Fox Sports South
9

448
TU58-TV (WB - Tucson)
22

631
Turner South
24

938
LA2-TV (CBS - Los Angeles)
22

632
Sunshine Network
15

939
LA4-TV (NBC - Los Angeles)
22

634
Fox Sports Florida
21

941
LA7-TV (ABC - Los Angeles)
22

636
Fox Sports Detroit
27

943
LA11-TV (FOX - Los Angeles)
22

637
Fox Sports Ohio Cleveland
13

135
Blockbuster Ticket PPV
23

638
Fox Sports Ohio Cincinnati
19

140
Blockbuster Ticket PPV
23

639
Fox Sports Chicago
27

142
Blockbuster Ticket PPV
23

641
Fox Sports North
17

183
Sale PPV
23

643
Fox Sports Southwest
25

291
The Disney Channel West
23

645
Fox Sports Rocky Mountain
21

356
MSNBC
23

647
Fox Sports Midwest
9

608
Outdoor Life Network
23

649
Fox Sports Arizona
17

621
MSG Network
23

651
Fox Sports Northwest
23

629
Comcast SportsNet MidAtlantic
23

652
Fox Sports West
11

651
Fox Sports Northwest
23

653
Fox Sports West 2
11

654
Fox Sports Bay Area
23

654
Fox Sports Bay Area
23

808
® Reggae
23

658
RN5-TV (WB - Roanoke)
31

810
® Smooth R & B
23

659
RN7-TV (CBS - Roanoke)
31

827
® Americana
23

660
RN10-TV (NBC - Roanoke)
31

832
® Show Tunes
23

661
RN13-TV (ABC - Roanoke)
31

108
Blockbuster Ticket PPV
24

662
RN15-TV (PBS - Roanoke)
31

115
Blockbuster Ticket PPV
24

663
RN24-TV (UPN - Roanoke)
31

631
Turner South
24

664
RN27-TV (FOX - Roanoke)
31

667
LO3-TV (NBC - Louisville)
24

667
LO3-TV (NBC - Louisville)
24

668
LO11-TV (ABC - Louisville)
24

668
LO11-TV (ABC - Louisville)
24

669
LO15-TV (PBS - Louisville)
24

669
LO15-TV (PBS - Louisville)
24

671
LO32-TV (CBS - Louisville)
24

671
LO32-TV (CBS - Louisville)
24

672
LO34-TV (WB - Louisville)
24

672
LO34-TV (WB - Louisville)
24

673
LO41-TV (FOX - Louisville)
24

673
LO41-TV (FOX - Louisville)
24

674
LO58-TV (UPN - Louisville)
24

674
LO58-TV (UPN - Louisville)
24

675
LO68-TV (PBS - Louisville)
24

675
LO68-TV (PBS - Louisville)
24

103
DirecTV Freeview Events Series
25

701-719
NFL SUNDAY TICKET

203
Court TV
25

718-720
English Premier League Soccer

264
BBC America
25

721-734
NBA League Pass

276
National Geographic Channel
25

735-739
NCAA Mega March Madness

335
VH 1
25

740-752
NHL Center Ice

339
FUSE
25

753
DirecTV Sports Schedule
21

340
Direct Shopping Network (00-06)
25

754-769
MLB Extra Innings

351
C-SPAN 2
25

770-779
ESPN Game Plan

354
Tech TV
25

780-793
ESPN Full Court

357
CNBC World
25

794-799
MLS/ESPN Shootout

580
DIRECTV Free Concert
25

801
DirecTV Free Concert
25

643
Fox Sports Southwest
25

802
® Showcase 1
7

801
DirecTV Free Concert
25

806
® Sounds of the Season
15

106
Blockbuster Ticket PPV
27

808
® Reggae
23

130
Blockbuster Ticket PPV
27

809
® Classic R & B
5

138
Blockbuster Ticket PPV
27

810
® Smooth R & B
23

171
DirecTV Adult PPV
27

811
® R & B & Hip Hop
2

258
Fox Movie Channel
27

812
® Rap
2

269
The History Channel
27

813
® Dance
21

286
Discovery Home & Leisure
27

814
® New Wave
13

337
VH 1 Classic
27

815
® Power Rock
9

353
Bloomberg TV US
27

816
® Metal
7

360
Fox News Channel
27

817
® Alternative Rock
7

602
TVG Horse Racing
27

818
® Rock
17

636
Fox Sports Detroit
27

819
® Classic Rock
10

639
Fox Sports Chicago
27

[...]

873
RC6-TV (CBS - Richmond)
31

860
® Classic R&B
5

874
RC8-TV (ABC - Richmond)
31

861
® Mexicana
13

875
RC12-TV (NBC - Richmond)
31

863
® Taste of Italy
19

876
RC23-TV (PBS - Richmond)
31

864
® Tejano
9

877
RC35-TV (FOX - Richmond)
31

865
® Contemporary Instrumentals
21

878
RC57-TV (PBS - Richmond)
31

873
RC6-TV (CBS - Richmond)
31

879
RC65-TV (UPN - Richmond)
31

874
RC8-TV (ABC - Richmond)
31

170
Blockbuster Ticket PPV
32

875
RC12-TV (NBC - Richmond)
31

501
HBO East
32

876
RC23-TV (PBS - Richmond)
31

503
HBO Signature
32

877
RC35-TV (FOX - Richmond)
31

504
HBO West
32

878
RC57-TV (PBS - Richmond)
31

513
MoreMax
32

879
RC65-TV (UPN - Richmond)
31

514
Cinemax West
32

880
NY2-TV (CBS - New York)
10

537
Showtime East
32

881
NY4-TV (NBC - New York)
10

538
Showtime Too
32

882
NY5-TV (FOX - New York)
10

539
Showtime Showcase
32

883
NY7-TV (ABC - New York)
10

540
Showtime West
32

938
LA2-TV (CBS - Los Angeles)
22

701-719
NFL SUNDAY TICKET

939
LA4-TV (NBC - Los Angeles)
22

[...]

July 16, 2004 6:14:09 PM

See my replies in the other thread on this. According to Directv tech
support the most important transponders are 1 & 2. Set transponder to the
weakest of 1 or 2, then re-aim dish to get best signal.

I'm not claiming cable is not a problem, but if you have dropouts on some
channels try this technique.

ÐW wrote:

> It's not the receiver!,... If your receiving only odd, or even
> transponders then you have a cabling/connection problem. Make sure all
> your cabling is RG-6! Some people on this group will tell you RG-59 will
> suffice. WRONG!
>
> Another common problem is using a CATV splitter. It won't handle the mHz
> frequency and will cancel-out a "side" (which refers to your odd/even
> transponders).
>
> Another common problem is faulty connectors, (F connectors installed with
> either shielding or strands coming into contact with the core, or not
> making contact with the connector (bad crimp).

> [...]
July 18, 2004 8:02:46 AM

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 20:34:12 -0400, "Stellijer"
<howapropos@hotmail.nospam.com> wrote:

<snip>

>Also of interest would be to know HOW some of these are broadcast; for instance,
>local channels may be 'aimed' at a given region, hence a stronger signal there.

Local channels are broadcast on transponders 18 and 26. Ever notice
how their signal value/range is significantly higher than the other
transponders?

Greg
July 18, 2004 8:08:57 AM

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 10:55:12 -0400, "Stellijer"
<howapropos@hotmail.nospam.com> wrote:

<snip>

>Yes, I agree that I shouldn't get lower than around 85 or so on some
>transponders if it was alignment or occlusion of the signal by a branch. Yet,
>as I said, I get 95-98 on a couple of them, 60s on others and as low as 40 on
>some others and then 0 on a bunch of them.

Exactly "which" transponders are registering a zero level? FYI,
transponders 4, 12 and 20 are typically at zero.

Greg
!