Did I just buy a new QX9775 off of eBay for $535?

toledo_speedo

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
Is Core i7 that much faster that it is cutting the cost of the old Core2Duo's by 66%? I have thrown $600 on a couple of new QX9775's on eBay before but never had any luck. I was shocked today when I actually won one.

The i7 is the King Daddy of the Desktops now. It Overclocks VERY well and is oh most gamers wish list. I would suspect people are having problems selling off the old quads cores. I can see the Core2Duo's still selling well as a mainstream chip and also lower end, since the i5 is not out yet. The C2D's OC so well and the price is nice and low.

I hope AMD just gets their game face on soon. It looks like they are doing much better with their PII. Hopefully their next gen puts them closer to the intels highend. However, when you think about it the mainstream is where the money is at. Getting Dell and HP onboard is key.

He didn't waste it. If he threw this in a server that only has 1 CPU and is adding a second. $535 for a server upgrade is CHEAP! How much would it cost to switch over to a i7 or Xeon 9550 setup? Or if it is even possible depending what he has.

DXRick

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006

Yea! The OP should have gone into detail about what he is upgrading, so that the nitwits on this site can better judge his decision. :sarcastic:

toledo_speedo

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
I am not asking anyone to judge my decision, I was just suprised how much the price has come down on Intel's QX9775. I have 2 SkullTrail Boards and another Intel 771 serverboard @ my company so I won't be changing sockets anytime soon.

I'm sure it was a find and a half for him. Companies upgrade at a MUCH slower pace than the enthusiasts do. They like meet that RIO as soo as possible and make equipment last forever.

I remember trying to find a PIII 1GHz upgrade kit for a Compaq server about 5 years ago and ended up paying $150 for it. At the time a PIII was old and moldy and could find them on ebay for $10. But you need that stinking daughterboard that goes with it.

smartel7070

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006

You're right about companies upgrade cycles. And I think a lot of members (I'm not naming names here so if the shoe fits fine if not then fine too) here don't have a clue about enterprise computing, which is a totally different story then the enthusiast market.

To the OP I say nice find ! Indeed that is a cheap server upgrade. What do you use the rig for ? You say it's not for gaming but from the specs it looks like a gaming monster !!

Yeah we still buy HP blades with (2) dual core opterons. We have a few intel Xeons for certain apps, but since we use alot of VMware, the Vmotion function does not like when you change architectures. So we are trying to keep everything consistant. Which is fine because you can get the opeterons at a good price and they still do a great job.

But personally for a home PC... i7 BABY!. haha

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006

/facepalm

What, is he going to JB Weld it into Skt771? Learn2Read.

EDIT: O and prices never come down on extreme procs. You just finally got lucky on eBay, congratz.

toledo_speedo

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008

I bought the 1st 4870x2 for my kid's pc but the PSU couldn't pull it so I broke down :D and put it in my server and gave him my 8800GTS. I bought another one for a gaming rig I am building for a friend and I had to "Test" it in my PC just to see how it does in Crossfire, 20,028 3DMarkVantage compared to 15,750 with one card. I use the server for large document productions: 100,000 pages scanned, made searchable and coded for uploads into litigation software. While this program is running I am using it to burn data to DVD's, a server for our accounting software, FTP uploads / downloads, and multiple other apps. I can multi-task like you wouldn't believe.

digitaldreams77

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
Beware....recently baught one myself from Ebay. Now trying to get my money back.

Was listed as 'new' yet recieved was was clearly an old/used chip. Checking the guys feedback revealed he was buying used or defective parts and relisting as new !. Even said 'defective cpu' on inner bag !.

Regards