Sign in with
Your question

Needing a HighPower Photoshop & Lightroom2 System

Last response: in CPUs
April 21, 2009 3:51:47 PM

Hello Everyone.. I'm a photography, upgrading my adobe software and need a hardware upgrade to boot.

My current system is a DFI nF4 939, running an AMD 2ghz with 2gig of OCZ dual channel DDR2 400's

I've been out of hardware for the past 4 years (obviously) so I need a quick refresh on pros and cons of what would work best with the latest Adobe software. LR2 does allow background processing which I believe will utilize multiple cores (not surehow many)

Can everyone please spec out an affordable barebones mobo/cpu/memory combo for me!?

Thanks!
-clayton
a c 108 à CPUs
April 21, 2009 5:03:34 PM

-- 64-bit OS, 8Gb of RAMs

-- Fast, dedicated OS/Apps drive

-- Fast capture drive, big storage/backup drive

-- Intel: e8400

-- AMD: PhII 720BE

edit: I fergit. The jury is still kinda out on CS4. If you can snag CS3 for a reduced price you may save a bit of money.
April 21, 2009 5:10:14 PM

I think he'll want a quad with that ;) 

Related resources
April 21, 2009 5:12:34 PM

Are the Quad Cores worth it? What advantage does the 720BE have over any others..

Is AMD have better benchmarks in graphics applications, rather than gaming, or is Intel better.. with that being said, is the cost difference worth it?
April 21, 2009 5:13:45 PM

My plan is for LR2 and CS3
April 21, 2009 5:20:39 PM

it's more about no. of cores and ram with workstation apps.

the 720 has 3, the e8400 has 2, and a quad core, phenom II 9xx series suggested, has 4 and will perform better at workstation tasks and newer games.

then you'll want at least 8gb of ram, sometimes you can find 16gb(4x4gb) kits but they are expensive and pretty rare.
a b à CPUs
April 21, 2009 5:24:26 PM

please give a budget.
April 21, 2009 5:26:06 PM

is this what we're talking? They are getting too complicated with som many versions these days :)  whatever happened PII's and Celerons :) 

AMD Phenom 9850 BLACK EDITION 2.5GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 2MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 125W Quad
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Is there something better for less? or is the king dog right now?

If so, what MoBo compliments it?
April 21, 2009 5:26:52 PM

For mobo, proc and memory I'd like to stay below 500, closer to 400
April 21, 2009 5:39:20 PM

Check that.. I'm now assuming this is the Top Dog..

AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 125W Quad
a c 108 à CPUs
April 21, 2009 6:57:07 PM

Photoshop is not really multithreaded but some plugins you may use can run multiple threads. Two fast cores (and big cpu cache) work well. Fully utilizing 4 independent threads is unlikely (but there are a few plugins that will take advantage of a quad if given the opportunity).

Lightroom is pretty much the same except when outputting multiple images in a single task. Otherwise, standard light, mask, etc. tasks are not going to be zooming with a quad versus a dual.

Faster disk I/O and more RAM will gain greater speed than 2--->4 cores for the most part.

I think BT is headed in the right direction but you should consider:

4x2Gb G.Skill DDR3 1600: $130
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

PhII 720BE / Gigabyte 790x AM3 combo: $260 (before $15 mir)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...
April 21, 2009 7:35:28 PM

Are the Gigabyte boards the leaders now? Back in the day Asus was all that was talked about, then DFI pulled up front.

Honestly I can't keep up. I just need a nice, solid system, that is lightening fast when processing photos, dealing with Large photos and swapping between applications quickly and painless.

Some mobo's have a bunch of bells and whistles, which are nice, but I have found on my Asus and DFI i haven't used any of it.

What are the latest and most scalable chipsets avail?

When it comes to memory, DDR3 i'm now assuming is 3 channel. should this be bought in triples? I noticed above the 4 sticks of 2gb. And the 1600 is the click speed of the memory access.??
April 21, 2009 7:38:08 PM

well a general rule is DFI for overclocking, gigabyte for everything else.

ddr3 is only tri-channel with i7.

however some 3x2gb packs are cheaper per gigabyte than 2x2gb packs.
a c 108 à CPUs
April 21, 2009 7:51:08 PM

Don't worry about triple channel.

As far as 'memory access' for the most part you are looking at around 12ns with either DDR2 or DDR3. The increase in speed is offset by slower timings.

The Gigabyte fits your needs perfectly. You have 2 firewire ports if you need them and a second PCIe x16 slot (with 8 lanes) that may be of future benefit when GPU processing advances.

In order to increase your memory bandwidth and decrease latency you may up the speed of the IMC/NB on the Phenom (the AM3 720BE is already 10% faster than the AM2+ 940BE).

For each 10% you increase the IMC/NB speed you generally see a 3-4% increase in memory bandwith and a 3-4% decrease in memory latency.

A 20% increase in the 720BE IMC/NB should be a 'slam dunk'. At 40% you will truly be an enthusiast - LOL
April 21, 2009 7:56:13 PM

Ok.. so g.skill is the mem to have? I've heard great things about Corsair, when I got my setup, OCZ was it. Looks like Patriot has pulled ahead and now g.skill is a nkotb.

a b à CPUs
April 22, 2009 1:29:54 PM

g.skill is very good memory for the price. I love the tight timings.
April 23, 2009 3:26:41 PM

what do you look at for best timings..

The board I'm getting says 1.5v.. the OCZ memory I would like says 1.9v. Lat7.. what is the other numbers for/mean?

Is OCZ it any more.. ??
OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ3RPR16004GK - Retail

why would I get1600 over 1066, or 1666?
a c 108 à CPUs
April 23, 2009 5:28:32 PM

There's this organization called JEDEC. It stands for Joint EeOUYV D*^%$Ekh E*%^&$v Cvhjgdf^$3!!! (That's a bad joke). They set industry standards for memory.

The JEDEC voltage standard for DDR3 is 1.5v. Here's the Wiki on memory timings --->> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_timings

In order to better themselves from their competition, manufacturers do not want to be bound by such a silly thing as base standards. They, of course, want to perform to higher standards to distinguish themselves from their competition in the market.

As we have progressed from DDR --- DDR2 --- DDR3 voltages have gone down, speeds (probably better described as transfer rates) have gone up and timings (those '9-9-9-24' numbers) have gotten slower.

In order to set themselves apart manufacturers have increased voltages and reduced timings for 'performance'. Most memory is good, some is better than good.

When a manufacturer 'qualifies' memory for their product it means they have tested it (though it is not required that you only use their recommendations). I've found it's just a lot easier to use qualified memory - especially if you have to call them up for a little tech support (which doesn't happen very often).

Because these 'higher standard' sticks of memory don't follow the norm, you will most likely have to enter the BIOS and set the voltage and timings. No big deal. Even a Dook Fan could do it. :) 

Sorry for rambling. DDR3-1333 will work fine. DDR3-1600 will work a little (maybe 3%?) better in applications that stress your RAMs - like Photoshop.

For the most part, don't worry about it. Your new rig will perform at a level well beyond your previous computer.

And :fou:  NewEgg raised the price of that G.Skill RAM from $65 to $99 !!!

edit: Sorry. I forgot to ramble about the amount of memory. Greater amounts of slower memory will always be better than lesser amounts of faster memory. 8Gb of DDR2-1066 is better than 4Gb of DDR3-1600. Find the price point (and amount of RAM) at which you are most comfortable.

In PS, 4Gb is the minimum --- 6Gb is good --- 8Gb is great!
April 23, 2009 5:33:04 PM

I just spoke with corsair tech / presales, and he mentioned that using 8gb, the board would be overtaxed and not even be able to achieve 1600, so he said it may be better to go with 1333. By using all four slots, the controller wouldn't be able to keep up was his words.
a c 108 à CPUs
April 23, 2009 5:38:50 PM

claymc said:
I just spoke with corsair tech / presales, and he mentioned that using 8gb, the board would be overtaxed and not even be able to achieve 1600, so he said it may be better to go with 1333. By using all four slots, the controller wouldn't be able to keep up was his words.

Never trust tech support from one company talking about the product of another company.

But in this case he may have a point --- DDR3 1600 can transfer over 12 Gb/s. (theoretically)
!