Sign in with
Your question

Advice on overclocking CPU/RAM

Last response: in Overclocking
July 21, 2010 3:19:10 PM

Hey, guys. I've got a (very) basic question. When you overclock your CPU you must overclock your RAM too? Or is it an automatic process? Could someone explain the basics, please? I haven't found any clear and concise guide... you know, I'd like to know the elementary concepts. Thanks for your help.
a b K Overclocking
July 21, 2010 4:26:52 PM

What are your system specs? And no, you don't have to overclock your RAM to overclock your CPU.

To overclock your CPU you will have to higher the FSB (front side bus) speed. If you higher the FSB speed your CPU clock will get higher because the processor takes the FSB speed and multiplies it by the CPU multiplier.

The same goes for for your memory, higher the FSB then it will be multiplied by the memory multiplier to get your memory frequency.

It's best to start off by lowering memory multiplier and the increasing FSB so that your memory will run at or below its rated speed. Your CPU frequency will rise and then you have to test it for stability using programs such as Prime95. Once you have achieved your overclock goal you can then adjust your memory timings and frequency.

Once you have overclocked you must keep an eye on your temperatures and also run stress tests like Prime95 blend tests which will test your system for stability (excluding GPU's and such).
July 21, 2010 9:11:40 PM

cromedome said:
What are your system specs? And no, you don't have to overclock your RAM to overclock your CPU.

To overclock your CPU you will have to higher the FSB (front side bus) speed. If you higher the FSB speed your CPU clock will get higher because the processor takes the FSB speed and multiplies it by the CPU multiplier.

The same goes for for your memory, higher the FSB then it will be multiplied by the memory multiplier to get your memory frequency.

It's best to start off by lowering memory multiplier and the increasing FSB so that your memory will run at or below its rated speed. Your CPU frequency will rise and then you have to test it for stability using programs such as Prime95. Once you have achieved your overclock goal you can then adjust your memory timings and frequency.

Once you have overclocked you must keep an eye on your temperatures and also run stress tests like Prime95 blend tests which will test your system for stability (excluding GPU's and such).

I've got an AMD Phenom II 965 BE and an Asus RoG Crosshair IV Formula but haven't decided on RAM yet. I'm planning to start with the auto-overclocking programs and then learn how to manually overclock it. This is why I want to know what memory should I choose... Thanks!
Related resources
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
a c 103 à CPUs
July 21, 2010 9:18:56 PM

The 965 BE has an unlocked multiplier so you can increase the multiplier instead of the FSB which doesn't affect the memory speed and is alot more simple. I would avoid any auto overclcoking as the results are not likely to be good and the voltage will be higher than needed.
July 21, 2010 9:30:33 PM

simon12 said:
The 965 BE has an unlocked multiplier so you can increase the multiplier instead of the FSB which doesn't affect the memory speed and is alot more simple. I would avoid any auto overclcoking as the results are not likely to be good and the voltage will be higher than needed.

Do you know any good and basic guide about overclocking? On the other hand, my CPU supports up to 1333 Mhz DDR3; what speed should I buy? Thanks for your time.
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
a c 103 à CPUs
July 21, 2010 9:58:17 PM

The guide I mainly used was http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/258573-11-black-edi... as for the RAM your motherboard support up to 2000MHz DDR3 so buy the best for your budget, to be honest RAM is something I don't know much about but I think any main brand is OK the speed is most important but the timings (for example 8-8-8-20) is also important (lower is better). As for a very brief guide you could 1st set you RAM to the speed and timings it should be, set your CPU voltage to 1.45V increase the multiplier by 0.5, run prime 95 for 20 mins if there is no error repeat. Keep an eye on the temperature and stop if it goes much over 60C. If it crashes or Prime 95 finds an error increase the voltage (I used 1 notch at a time but I think your board might have finer settings) to a maximum of 1.5 unless you want to take high risks. When you think you have the maximum run Prime 95 for 2-12 hours (some people say 2 is fine other run for over 24 to ensure 100% stability) if its OK alls well if not drop back to previous or increase voltage. If you still want more read more guides and play with the FSB as well.
!