Help Overclocking HD 5850/ Crashes on Youtube video

alex73191

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
i am having the problems with my Hd 5850, i overclocked my gpu to 850/1200 using MSI Afterburner and tested it using GPU tool.

i used this guide i found on a forum

http://www.overclock.net/ati/633816-how-overclock-your-ati-gpu.html

everything seemed to be stable, and I had no problems until i felt like running the "windows experience" which scores my computer, and it kept crashing. so i lowered my numbers but still had the same problem. so i thought maybe raising my voltages a little would help, but nope same prob...

than i read about a youtube problem someone else was having, and i checked out a youtube video and surprise! i got BSOD... :??:

i had catalyst version 10.3 and updated to 10.6 but still have the same issues...

I have an EVGA P55 LE motherboard
Intel i5 750 @ 3.2ghz
XFX HD 5850 Black Edition

benson733

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
I am new to OC'ing but did you make sure your temps were low while overclocking?

You also mentioned upping the voltages, what did you up the volt to?

I have learned that you cannot damage your card unless you play with voltages.

You can try and uninstall the tools you used to overclock.

Also it may be a bug or something so try and reinstall your drivers.

download driver sweeper.

1) device manager (uninstall your graphics card and drivers associated.

2) use the catalyst control center installer to uninstall.

3) restart your pc in safe mode

4) run driver sweeper

5) restart and reinstall the newest drivers for you card and see if that solved your issues.

good luck

alex73191

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010

yeah temperatures were good, my fan was around 40-50% and the temps were around the mid 60's so it was nothing too bad.

also, i found out the disabling "hardware acceleration" from flash stopped my computer getting a BSOD, and my amd driver crashes on the windows experience when it gets to one of the video parts...forgot which one

i set my voltage to 1.75, so it wasn't that high, compared to others raising it to 2.25 and such.

i have tried re-installing everything i use for this, but no luck :( but i will try your steps...

@Davcon i will try 10.4, but 10.6 (the latest i believe) and 10.3 have the same issues...