Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

AMD Phenom II 920 vs Intel Q6600

Last response: in CPUs
Share
Anonymous
April 21, 2009 6:17:12 PM

Which one should i go for?

Dont want anything more expensive than the Phenom II but any other suggestions are welcome.

This is mainly for playing FSX.
April 21, 2009 6:20:00 PM

Go for the phenom 2 if it is what yr familiar with, but its very close, i play FSX with a normal phenom and it works just fine
Anonymous
April 21, 2009 6:25:16 PM

AdamDBurns said:
Go for the phenom 2 if it is what yr familiar with, but its very close, i play FSX with a normal phenom and it works just fine


Yeah they are close, very close.

This is my first ever build and i will have a friend helping put bits together cos i dont have a clue.

I have a Pentium D 805 at the moment, and that plays FSX without lag at minimal graphics lol.

Therefore, im not too familiar with anything. Is there any difference on fsx between intel and amd???
Related resources
April 21, 2009 6:40:09 PM

Q6600 is 65nm and PII 920 is 45nm. PII 920 will run cooler than the Q6600 and overclocks pretty same. Make sure you get a good aftermarket cooler with your processor. I would go for PII 920 but if you live near by Micro Center, pick up an Q9400 for $180.
April 21, 2009 11:14:37 PM

Pretty much sums it up.
Anonymous
April 22, 2009 6:06:06 AM

peanutpc said:
Q6600 is 65nm and PII 920 is 45nm. PII 920 will run cooler than the Q6600 and overclocks pretty same. Make sure you get a good aftermarket cooler with your processor. I would go for PII 920 but if you live near by Micro Center, pick up an Q9400 for $180.


Thanks for your advice. Im from UK so im not near Micro Center.

I was unsure about which to get because I want it to be upgradable in future, but not like an i7 which is way too much.

Im pretty sure I should go down the AMD route then. Thanks

By the way, I think the AMD stock cooler is quite beastly for this, big fan, heatpipes (from what ive seen on youtube). Tell me if im wrong, and please tell me which one to get instead
a b à CPUs
April 22, 2009 6:29:24 AM

Definitely AMD.

(It actually feels really good to be able to honestly recommend AMD, even if it's just over a Q6600 for once).
April 22, 2009 7:16:14 AM

if the over cost is less for the amf go for it

if the cost is close go for amd

-------------------------------------

qx9650 from ebay is the best bet at 4.2-4.6ghz

4.2-4.2 air

4.4+ on water
a b à CPUs
April 22, 2009 12:24:26 PM

+1 for the PII, I have the 920 and I feel it has been one of the best hardware buys I have ever made. Great performance, great price. Mine will clock to 3.2 ghz by just bumping the FSB up, and stays decently cool with the stock heatsink.
April 22, 2009 4:05:14 PM

Anonymous said:
Thanks for your advice. Im from UK so im not near Micro Center.

I was unsure about which to get because I want it to be upgradable in future, but not like an i7 which is way too much.

Im pretty sure I should go down the AMD route then. Thanks

By the way, I think the AMD stock cooler is quite beastly for this, big fan, heatpipes (from what ive seen on youtube). Tell me if im wrong, and please tell me which one to get instead


AMD stock cooler is good, but Intel's are crap.
April 23, 2009 7:46:16 AM

AMD stock cooler is good, but Intel's are crap. said:
AMD stock cooler is good, but Intel's are crap.


dont kid youreself.

all stock coolers are crap.
April 23, 2009 4:14:17 PM

the new AMD cooler is way better than Intel crap.
a b à CPUs
April 23, 2009 9:32:48 PM

peanutpc said:
the new AMD cooler is way better than Intel crap.


Honestly, the Intel i7 stock coolers aren't bad, as stock coolers go. They're an incredible improvement over the crap that came with the 45nm Core 2 Quads. AMDs stock cooler isn't bad either with the Phenom IIs, but I would still replace it if you want to significantly overclock.
April 23, 2009 9:49:50 PM

I got a Athlon X2 5000+ to 3.4-ish on a Phenom 2 stock cooler.
April 24, 2009 5:59:54 AM

stock coolers are crap period.

if you're building a high performance rig without investing on a proper cooling system, you might as well not build at all. airflow is essential in building a rig, and those flatbed stock coolers werent designed to properly fend off the hot air inside your chassis. they look ugly too.
a b à CPUs
April 24, 2009 6:30:21 AM

wh3resmycar said:
stock coolers are crap period.

if you're building a high performance rig without investing on a proper cooling system, you might as well not build at all. airflow is essential in building a rig, and those flatbed stock coolers werent designed to properly fend off the hot air inside your chassis. they look ugly too.


High performance rigs that aren't overclocked are perfectly fine with stock coolers. Aftermarket is only necessary with fairly significant overclocks.

Note: the exception to this that I've found is 45nm Core 2 Quads. They have truly pathetic stock coolers.
!