Replacing an external hard drive shell?

Hey everyone at Tom's Hardware,

I acquired a Iomega Prestige 500GB external hard drive ( around 5 months ago. I put around 300GB of important documents that have really helped out my primary computer which is pushing 600GB at a 1TB threshold.

Around 1 month into owning it, the hard drive fell from my computer onto to the USB 2.0 cable, not anywhere else. The fall bent the USB female (?) part of the external hard drive by just a tiny bit, but it has caused my computer to not be able to read it anymore. I am 100% sure that the actual hard drive inside the enclosure is fine, so I do not want to play upwards of $1200 so Iomega can "fix" it.

My question to you is simple, can i replace the external enclosure with another enclosure ( If so, will this enclosure work with my current Iomega 500GB?
1 answer Last reply
More about replacing external hard drive shell
  1. Yes you can. The enclosure you have linked to is a 2.5 inch enclosure, if your hdd is 2.5 inch then fine, but if it's a 3.5 ich drive you will need to choose a 3.5 inch one.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Iomega Computer Enclosure External Hard Drive Storage Product