New Server or Gaming rig Build

rhys_cathym

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
I am looking to build a home server on a Quad core chip that will be running VMware ESX with around 3 virtual machines. I will most likely be putting 8 GB of ram into it, unless I go with a Xeon and run the more expensive ECC, which might limit my ram down to 4GB for a while.

I'm hoping to upgrade my Server 2003 skills to 2008 and want a useable machine to run tests on and eventually act as my home file/web/sql/domain/exchange box.

I am looking either purchase a new Quad core chip or use my existing Q6600 that I use in my main workstation/gaming rig. If I do end up using my Q6600, I'd most likely purchase a E8500 for my new gaming rig due to the fact that the new i7 is a bit out of my price comfort zone and since with my new server I don't think I'd be running any applications that would take advantage of the quad core on my workstation. Has anyone gone from a Quad core to a Dual and noticed a performance decrease? I will most likely be able to OC the E8500 to around 3.8~4ghz, which would be an upgrade to the 3.2 clock I currently run my Q6600 at.

If I do end up purchasing a new chip for my server I am willing to put a bit more money into it. Would purchasing a Xeon chip be worthwhile? Or should I perhaps purchase a Skulltrail mobo, a new Q6600 and have an upgrade lined up for when I eventually upgrade my workstation? Just thought I'd throw this situation out there in case there is some alternative I'm not seeing. Thanks in advance for any suggestions

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007

sprucebr1

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
The Opteron no doubt being the least expensive option. Though I have heard nothing bad about Xeon's. Xeon's will use LGA 775 if you already have a LGA 775 mobo that you want to use.