Sign in with
Your question

New Server or Gaming rig Build

Last response: in Systems
January 23, 2009 5:12:06 PM

I am looking to build a home server on a Quad core chip that will be running VMware ESX with around 3 virtual machines. I will most likely be putting 8 GB of ram into it, unless I go with a Xeon and run the more expensive ECC, which might limit my ram down to 4GB for a while.

I'm hoping to upgrade my Server 2003 skills to 2008 and want a useable machine to run tests on and eventually act as my home file/web/sql/domain/exchange box.

I am looking either purchase a new Quad core chip or use my existing Q6600 that I use in my main workstation/gaming rig. If I do end up using my Q6600, I'd most likely purchase a E8500 for my new gaming rig due to the fact that the new i7 is a bit out of my price comfort zone and since with my new server I don't think I'd be running any applications that would take advantage of the quad core on my workstation. Has anyone gone from a Quad core to a Dual and noticed a performance decrease? I will most likely be able to OC the E8500 to around 3.8~4ghz, which would be an upgrade to the 3.2 clock I currently run my Q6600 at.

If I do end up purchasing a new chip for my server I am willing to put a bit more money into it. Would purchasing a Xeon chip be worthwhile? Or should I perhaps purchase a Skulltrail mobo, a new Q6600 and have an upgrade lined up for when I eventually upgrade my workstation? Just thought I'd throw this situation out there in case there is some alternative I'm not seeing. Thanks in advance for any suggestions
January 23, 2009 7:54:50 PM

The Opteron no doubt being the least expensive option. Though I have heard nothing bad about Xeon's. Xeon's will use LGA 775 if you already have a LGA 775 mobo that you want to use.
!