Which HDDs to use for a RAID configuration?

belltollsforthee

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
I need some help picking two HDDs for around $40-70 each for a RAID configuration
i dont care about noise, power consumption, or heat generated, just at least 8mb cache, 7500rpm, and GREAT RELIABILITY

vTL123

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2010
Alot of the Hard Drives now are very Reliable, it would be pretty bad if yours (or mine) died in a year or 2.

johnb0118's HDD pick is a pretty good choice but I would still prefer the Samsung F3 500Gb 16mb cache.

I'd have to prefer the Samsungs over Western Digital as well. If I was going to use Western Digital (which I currently do use in my system) I would go with a black version. But really, it's more personal preference than anything, both brands are very good choices for your array.

ei8htbit

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010

Good idea, while WD HDDs from the Blue or Black label will technically work in a RAID0 any one of them produced recently (since Nov 2009) do not support TLER (time limited error recovery) which is fine for standalone drive use but potentially causes chronic dropouts in a RAID conifguration and conveniently provides a means for WD to charge twice the amount for "Enterprise Level" RE3/RE4 models (which are the same drive with TLER enabled in firmware).

elivance

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
guskline and xbonez, out of curiosity, what is your performance like with those two drives in RAID 0?
I hear they are fast drives, but I'd like to know what to expect for read/write speeds with them in RAID.