Sign in with
Your question

Boot hangs at DELL logo

Last response: in Windows XP
June 29, 2011 4:32:17 PM

DELL Inspiron 530 hangs at DELL logo for a least a couple of minutes. The black screen with blinking cursor then hangs for another couple of minutes only displaying "Auto adjust..." twice.
Then Windows boots up normally.

This started after installing a new version of the Total real estate software.

Where should I be looking for the problem?
Hope you can help.

Thanks.
Pam

More about : boot hangs dell logo

June 29, 2011 7:33:52 PM

is this a laptop or a desktop? if it's a desktop then the autoadjust is from your monitor, has nothing to do with the computer.

I'm not familiar with total real estate.

My guess would be it was doing a hard drive check for a couple of minutes.

Is this behavior consistent no matter whether you shutdown or reboot the computer?
m
l
July 7, 2011 10:52:37 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. The number of possible reasons were many and the lengthy boot time made it very tedious. Here's the final fix and how I finally found it.

After updating the BIOS of the desktop, I saw a message during boot that the AHCI BIOS wasn't installed. Since this system didn't have SATA drives I searched for another reason. The search suggested disconnecting all USB devices. I disconnected all except the mouse and keyboard.

The system booted right up, but the mouse was erratic. I stopped using that port and hooked up all the other USB devices, both directly connected and through a USB hub. There has been no problems since.

The troubleshooting was complicated because it started right after the software upgrade.
m
l
!