dragos_cscc

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
I recently built a computer (my first) and I'm very disappointed with it's performance. I know there has to be something stupid I'm overlooking.

AMD Phenom II x4 940 3.0GHz
ASUS M4A79 Deluxe BIOS 0903 02/09/09
GeIL Evo One 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066
ASUS EAH4870 DK/HTDI/1GD5 Radeon HD 4870 CCC version 9.4
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V
Vista X64

Nothing is overclocked. It never crashes, but again I haven't had it for too long. Did all the Vista updates, graphics card has the latest drivers from AMD. I get no error messages whatsoever.

The problem is when I run MS FSX I get between 10 - 20 FPS. I tried messing around with the game and CCC settings (find a happy medium) but they don't seem to make more then a few FPS difference.

I'm looking for some ideas on narrowing down the problem.

dragos_cscc

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
stonebattle,

I did look at the bios and everything seems fine there. The temps/voltages are within the MB ranges for processor and memory. All the drives and graphics card are recognized. I don't realy feel comfortable messing around with the voltages for the processor.

geofelt,

I didn't know about the update but I will give it a try when I get home today.

smithereen

My graphics card clocks? Not sure where I would check those.

Thanks for all thelp and suggestions from everyone.

One other things I've noticed. I ran the game again with the task manager and resource manager open. The whole time the game is running the CPU dosent go above 30-40% usage and it seems to be staying at 100% ferquency. As soon as I pause it and go back to desktop it drops down to 2-3% usage. Shouldnt the usage be closer to 100% during gameplay??
Another thing, not sure how useful, the vista experience is rated at 5.9 across the board. The graphics and gaming graphics were at 1 before I updated the graphics card drivers to AMD 9.4.

When folks have performance issues with the Phenom I always ask,

"Did you ungang the memory controller?"

And I'm just guessin' but I would imagine you need to open the BIOS and manually set the timings and voltage for your memory ...

I believe there is an update to FSX that will let it use all cores. As I recall, I installed it. The key to better performance after that was to select using DX10 as an option.

dragos_cscc

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
I've been really busy lately and haven't had much time to mess with this thing, but I did manage to download and install the FSX patch. Also disabled Cool and Quiet in the BIOS and set the power settings to Performance in Vista. Tried it with everything maxed out, just for kicks and its between 4-8 FPS.

wisecracker

I can try setting the memory timings/voltages in the BIOS manually. It does recognize all 4 GB and from what I can tell its set at 1066mhz. Even if it's running at a lower mhz, would you get that big of a performance drop just from that?

smithereen,

I believe ATI has their own version of GPU monitoring software, but I can give that a try.

geofelt,

Got the FSX SP1 downloaded. I believe that was the update you're talking about, that was the only one I saw at the MS site anyways. Patched fine, didn't seem to make any difference if any.

WR2

It's just the basic version of FSX. No other mods or freeware stuff added, just the patch above. Tired it and several resolutions 1600x1400, 1200x960, 800x600. Theres not much improvement between the highest and lowest. The monitor is an old 17 or 19" CRT.
Thanks for the links.

mamw93, virtual-slay3r thanks for the help. I'm sure there are NO forums out there where intel/nvidia owners post their problems. NONE WHAT SO EVER. Posting thas crap must be the highlight of your day?!?!?

For comparison I get about 20-25FPS with my 2.8Ghz dual core and 9600GT @ 1680x1050.
It's a trade off between "eye candy" and performance.
Once you learn how to adjust your graphics options to get the same performance you'll be a lot happier with FSX.

From the Egg (not really sure on the specs, then :) )

GeIL Evo One 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066
5-5-5-15 timings
2.1V - 2.3V

Your BIOS may be defaulting to SPD 1.8v and slower timings ...

Somewhere in the FSX options, you can select DX10. When I did that, performance went from bad to good. It may require sp1 to implement.
FSX forums might be a better place to ask some of these questions.

dragos_cscc

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
Checked the voltages under the hardware monitor page in the BIOS and the VCORE was at 1.387-1.390 but the 12V was at 11.476V (no load). According the Corsair a 5% tolerance is acceptable (11.4V -12.6V) Does that seem within limits to you guys?

You may also try asking the FS forums like Flightsim.com. They have a great hardware community and advice for tuning specifically for FSX, although it appears that the majority of members there are Intel/Nvidia users. One other thing: FSX and ATi cards are known to be fair weather friends. I have the 512MB version of your card and I'm seriously considering switching to Nvidia due to strange artifacts at times. The card itself is not overclocked (waste of stress because FSX is mostly CPU bound). My rig is seriously overclocked on air (E8400-> 4.2GHz) but Prime95 and OCCT tests pass and no problems on Crysis Warhead and Left 4 Dead, so I know it's not that.