Sign in with
Your question

Logitech USB Optical Mouse and Error Code 43

Last response: in Systems
January 23, 2009 6:31:15 PM

Recently one of the Microsoft Updates, I believe, has done something to mess with my Logitech USB Optical Mouse.

I have tried installing an updated mouse driver.

Here is the symptom.
While in Windows, or any game doing whatever, the mouse will stop working. Sometimes, though not always, the USB Connectivity Ding*Dong*Ding (signifying that a USB item has been found on the system) will ring out its tone. Since I'm a gamer, loss of mouse at any time can be crucial to my serious hobby. Sometimes Alt+Tabbing back to windows will get the mouse to work again if only temporarily. A lot of times I must unplug the mouse from the USB Port it is in, and try another. However, that logically doesn't change anything. I downloaded the latest Mouseware from Logitech and also the Latest DirectX (that I had at one point gotten) just to check to see if reinstallation would help.

Under Hardware Management is where I saw the Error Code in the Troubleshooting box when my mouse quit working while on that page. It said that Windows had shut down the device, Error Code 43.

Going Crazy trying to put my finger on this one.
Thanks in Advance for any help and advice.
a c 113 B Homebuilt system
January 23, 2009 6:37:07 PM

I stopped using Logitech mouse drivers long ago. My system thanks me for it.

I just use the default drivers from MS, even though I own a Logitech G5.

If that doesn't work for you, also check your motherboard drivers.

If that doesn't do it, try running the mouse through a powered USB hub.
January 23, 2009 8:17:55 PM

Ok, I have uninstalled Logitech Mouseware. Using Default Windows Driver. Problem still recurring.

Ran into a thread on the mainboard I have, with same problem.
Tried their Fix. PSU Reset. Switch on back of Power Supply, Off.
Power Cable removed from back of Power Supply.
ATX Mainboard Power Coupling removed from Mainboard.
Power Button on Front of Case Held for x>10 seconds.
Reconnect all in reverse order. Problem Still Recurring.

Problem Details.

Asus A7N8X - E Deluxe Rev. 1
Windows XP Pro
USB Disconnectivity - Mouse turns off frequently
Windows USB Hardware Detection Ding*Dong*Ding sound played sometimes when the USB stops working, but not always.
Safely Remove USB Hardware does not pop up on taskbar, new USB Device Found does not pop up on taskbar.

Further Steps taken to attempt to resolve this issue on my part.
Reinstall DirectX from the Aug-Nov 2008 Revision.
Driver Check, using Microsoft Default in Windows now.
USB Root Hub - Took off Checkmark on "Allow Windows to Shut Down this Device to save power" - should be on all the time now.

Problem is very quizzical, Thanks again in advance for any help you may be in solving this issue.
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
January 23, 2009 9:02:25 PM

Use a different mouse. I'm assuming it's a usb mouse, it probably has a short in the usb connection. If another usb mouse does it, try a ps2 mouse. You shouldn't need specific drivers for the mouse, windows generic drivers will work.
January 23, 2009 9:54:31 PM

I have tried several different USB mice. Symptoms still persist.

Also have heard about USB Viruses, yet I do not own a cellphone, PDA, Blackberry or Ipod.

I generally do not connect any other USB items to this computer or any computer on the network.

Other Asus Mainboard users have encountered similar problems and I've tried just about all the fixes they have used, to no end of my own problem.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Perhaps someone might think of something soon?

Thanks again in advance for any help.

<Edit to this message>
Yes I have tried the P/S 2 port adapter and the P/S 2 Port worked for a while but quit working. Mouse lights up like its connected. Mouse does not move the cursor, nor does window acknowledge the fact that a P/S 2 mouse is plugged in. Its as if the P/S 2 port does not function although the mouse lights up as if it is ready to work. I'm stumped there.

Reinstallation of Windows is Not an option due to lack of dump space for files on this computer. There are several important large files I have nowhere else to put. Transferring them to another computer is not possible due to storage limitations on the other computer. This is a computer that was custom built by myself, Built and Running since 2003, with one wipe and reinstall back in 2004 Summer. Always been rocksolid gaming computer with no OC'ing. Though I do admit it is possible the mainboard is finally flaking out on me, I have no backup system. Since the USB Issue coincided with the Windows update back in November and has steadily become worse over time I believe the hardware issue is becoming more and more likely. But I cannot discount the large number of issues other Asus users have been having with similar problems. Thanks again Microsoft for the usual Brain Surgery with a Frag Grendade approach to Computer Operating System Marketing and Development.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 24, 2009 12:51:09 AM

Have you tried that mouse on another computer? If you have an know that it works fine, that leaves the board. Is the keyboard usb or ps2? Is it working?
January 24, 2009 6:35:47 PM

Yes, used this mouse on another computer, no issues.

I'm currently looking for Socket 462 Mainboards.
Having specific specs I require, I'm not finding that easy.

If you know of a website that offers a Mainboard that is good for gaming and supports:
SATA (Older SATA1)
over 2GB RAM
Athlon XP 3000+ CPU
Must have AGP 8x

I've looked on Ebay, Craigs List, NewEgg and Pricewatch to find only one on Ebay that looked like it "Might" fit my application.

One thing good I have discovered through this thread -

The Problem is not a Virus.

The many bad things I have discovered -

Man its a PITA trying to upkeep an old PC. :pt1cable: 

Also I believe this thread can be killed. Thanks to those who replied in my time of need. I salute you.
March 9, 2009 1:46:26 PM

Just a shot in the dark but if the problem is the USB ports on your motherboard how about bypassing them with an inexpensive USB card?
April 15, 2009 3:12:51 AM

Wow, I have the exact same problem! I also use a Logitech USB Optical Mouse and the same problem started occur for me about a month ago.

If I disconnect the mosue from the USB port, and put back again, it will work for a couple of minutes, then it stop working with the Error Code 43 showing up in device manager.

Did you find any solution?

Thanks for any help.

April 18, 2009 7:40:02 PM

I'm having the same problem with a Logitech optical USB mouse, but on an MSI K9N SLI Platinum motherboard. The problem started occuring after a reinstall of XP, so I believe it's related either to the Windows HID mouse drivers, or a bad install of my chipset drivers. I've tried reinstalling the chipset drivers to fix a problem I'm having with my video card, and it didn't solve either problem...

:edit:
I've checked the power levels for my USB root hubs via device manager and power does not seem to be an issue. The problem is not affecting my keyboard or usb card reader. I've tried other USB ports on my motherboard without success. I do have a USB PCI card I can install and test with but am saving that option for now. Considering this (and other problems) only started happening after I reinstalled, I'm confident it's a driver/software issue.
April 20, 2009 10:04:57 PM

I found this Microsoft KB article which may solve this problem. I use a USB keyboard which prevents me from completing all of the instructions, but it's basically a complete driver 'reset' for the USB mouse. If somebody (with a ps/2 keyboard) wants to try it and let the rest of us know that'd be awesome.

For the moment I've attached a usb->ps/2 adapter to my mouse, we'll see how that holds up.
February 1, 2010 10:42:51 AM

The solution for this problem is very simple.
Just unplug your PC power cable for 30 seconds (on laptop just remove battery for 30 seconds), and restart your PC again. This procedure help to my logitech USB mouse start working again.

Sasa

p.s. sorry for bad English
March 5, 2010 8:45:48 AM

I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM, MOUSE STOPS AND CODE 43, THIS HAPPENS ONLY WITH OPTICAL MOUSES, NOT WITH LASER MOUSES, FIRST I THOUGHT IT MAY BE MY MOTHERBOARD, THEN HAPPEN THE SAME ON THE NOTEBOOK OF A FRIEND, AND THEN TO THE PC OF ANOTHER FRIEND. THIS THREE COMPUTERS NEVER HAD ANY CONTACT BETWEEN ANOTHER, MICROSOFT SAID NOTHING ABOUT ERROR 43 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310123), THIS STARTED TO HAPPEN ALMOST A THE SAME TIME, I HAVE A MOTHERBOARD INTEL AND MY FRIEND AN ASUS, ITS NOT A VIRUS, THEN IVE SAW THAT THE ONLY THING IN COMMON ON ALL THREE, WAS THE OPERATING SYSTEM, WIN XP SP3, BUT IT NEVER HAD HAPPEND BEFORE. SO WE RESEARCH AND FOUND THAT THERE IS SOME UPDATE THAT HAS AN ERROR, THIS ERROR MAKES THAT OPTICAL MOUSES THAT DONT HAVE A STABLE SIGNAL FROM THE LIGHT MAKE THE OS THINK THERE IS A PROBLEM BECAUSE OF TO MUCH SIGNAL VARIATION AND VOLTAGE, SO IT DISCONNECTS THE DIVICE.
DAMN MICROSOFT!!!!

THE SOLUTIONS:

-GET A LASER OR BALL MOUSE
-CHANGE OS
-FORMAT, REINSTALL XP, DEACTIVATE UPDATES

IF YOU JUST DISCONNECT AND RECONNECT OVER AND OVER, OR CONNECT A LASER MOUSE AND THEN THE OPTICAL AGAIN IN THE SAME USB PORT, AND ALL THE OTHER TEMPORALLY SOLUTIONS, FINALY THE OS WILL KILL THE MOUSE FOREVER :cry: 

IN 64 BIT I HEARD THAT THIS DID NOT HAPPENED BUT I DO NOT KNOW FOR SURE.

March 5, 2010 8:51:47 AM

BY THE WAY, ANY OPTICAL MOUSE FROM ANY BRAND WILL HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM, ITS NOT LOGITECH FAULT, IVE TRY 7 DIFERENT BRANDS OF MOUSES AND THEY ALL HAD THE SAME PROBLEM SOONER OR LATER.
March 5, 2010 9:03:22 AM

2057891,12,560400 said:
Just unplug your PC power cable for 30 seconds (on laptop just remove battery for 30 seconds), and restart your PC again. This procedure help to my logitech USB mouse start working again.

Sasa

p.s. sorry for bad English[/quotemsg

POWERCABLE? IF YOUR COMPUTER IS OFF THEN IS OFF, WITH OR WITHOUT CABLE, THE MOHTERBOARD HAS A BATTERY OT KEEP SOME DATA LIKE CLOCK, BIOS IN SOME CASES, ETC. AND MY MOTHER BOARD HAS A RECHARGABLE BATTERY THAT SLOWLY DIMINISHES THE VOLTAGE OF MY 4 XEONS, SO THEY WONT EXPLODE IN CASE THE POWER CABLE SUDENLY DESCONECTS. IF YOU WANT TO RESET THE BIOS THEN THERE IS A BUTTON OR JUMPER IN ANY MOTHERBOARD TO DO IT. IF NOT IS THE SAME AS IF RESTARTED.

I HAVE A BAD ENGLISH ALLSO, HOW CARES OF SPEAKING THIS CRAPY LAGUAGE PERFECT ANYWAY?
March 25, 2010 1:21:05 AM

Did anyone come up with a solution so far? I have the exact same problem as all of you. Reutgar's description of the problem is the most detailed one as far as i'm concerned, so, we may stick to those posts.

I also have an ASUS motherboard, and my updates are turned on and regular, though i couldn't connect not one of the updates with the mouse problem, being that i started having this problem months ago, and i don't know when exactly. Still trying to work it out. I tried a laser cordless mouse, and it works just fine on the same usb ports.

The most annoying thing is that through the time, i didn't manage to decide if it's a software or a hardware problem.
April 20, 2010 8:29:16 PM

I had the same issue on my laptop after a Windows Update. The solution is to do a manual update, select Custom and select "Software,Optional" find the update for windows XP that deals with human interface devices. That worked for me. Sorry I didn't write down the update number. Good luck!!
April 21, 2010 1:57:54 AM

Removing the battery really does work. I went through the trouble of reloading my OS on my laptop and it was still having the USB error in device manager. I unplugged the laptop, pulled out the battery, hard drive, and Ram for about 15 minutes, put it back together then the error was gone. Wish I had tried that before wiping and reloading the OS.
July 13, 2010 6:38:06 PM

same problem , but i resolvet it , by installing this soft from ligitech 'set point 4.80' , after installing it the problem disappeared
November 19, 2010 7:45:38 PM

try going to www.logitech.com locate the model of the mouse and download & install the driver (before i uninstalled the previous driver but i don't think this is necesary because i think installing it deletes the previous version) and then reconnect the mouse i hope this helps mine so far so good :D 
January 11, 2011 8:27:41 PM

Credit to the person who suggested the power cord fix.

Don't ask me how but there is obviously something going on in the PC when the cord is disconnected - it could be that it will allways draw residual power even if the PC is switched off and hence you need to force it to draw from battery or so ---basically no clue ! :pt1cable: 

However I had the error code 43 since since using a bad usb cable that shorted and tried all the offered suggestions but no matter what I tried each time i inserted a new usb device the error popped up.

Removed the power cord, waited a bit and presto--- it is gone :D 

Win7 64 Bit - logitech G500 Mouse
June 25, 2011 6:40:41 AM

sasko_cro said:

Sasa

p.s. sorry for bad English

THANK YOU!!!! IT WORKS!!!!!! :bounce: 
November 24, 2011 3:49:28 PM

Don't forget to clean the bottom of the mouse.
January 21, 2012 7:25:13 PM

Reutgar said:
Recently one of the Microsoft Updates, I believe, has done something to mess with my Logitech USB Optical Mouse.

I have tried installing an updated mouse driver.

Here is the symptom.
While in Windows, or any game doing whatever, the mouse will stop working. Sometimes, though not always, the USB Connectivity Ding*Dong*Ding (signifying that a USB item has been found on the system) will ring out its tone. Since I'm a gamer, loss of mouse at any time can be crucial to my serious hobby. Sometimes Alt+Tabbing back to windows will get the mouse to work again if only temporarily. A lot of times I must unplug the mouse from the USB Port it is in, and try another. However, that logically doesn't change anything. I downloaded the latest Mouseware from Logitech and also the Latest DirectX (that I had at one point gotten) just to check to see if reinstallation would help.

Under Hardware Management is where I saw the Error Code in the Troubleshooting box when my mouse quit working while on that page. It said that Windows had shut down the device, Error Code 43.

Going Crazy trying to put my finger on this one.
Thanks in Advance for any help and advice.

:hello: 
The guide is too long and I think better you read the post : Error Code 43 Solution. there are various way to solve this problem. Hope it helps anybody who encounter this error...
!