Temp and fan rpm's on cpuid hw monitor

gerry410

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
Hello all, Just a quick question.

I'm getting what I think are odd readings for my
■ TMPIN2 127C
■FANIN3 28 RPM readings in the CPUHW Monitor.

My question... is this a mother board problem a fan problem or a CPUID HW problem. How can I tell what is the actual problem and is there really a problem to begin with?

Also, what do these individual readings reference TMP 0,1,2 and FAN 0,1,2.

Thanks all !

Solution
Its normal to have odd readings in HWmonitor. Some names of readings seem to be hardwired in HWmonitor and if it cannot find these on your motherboard you get these odd values.
My motherboard has no 12v monitor onboard so in HWmonitor I read values from 0.83v to 1.74v. I had fans running at 50000rpm and stuff like that. Don't worry about it.
Finding out which name corresponds to which exact reading takes some work. Go to the bios monitor and note values in idle. These usually correspond to those in HWMonitor. In the bios they are labeled.

ace700

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2008
Try speedfan, everest ultimate to get an ideal of the temperature range or use a multimeter with a temperature prob at the end and touch it at the cpu. The readings for TMP 0 should be aux, 1 should be gpu and 2 should be the cpu, fan 0 is the cpu fan, 1 is port 1 of case fan and 2 is port 2 but i am not sure of the order

Nils

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
Its normal to have odd readings in HWmonitor. Some names of readings seem to be hardwired in HWmonitor and if it cannot find these on your motherboard you get these odd values.
My motherboard has no 12v monitor onboard so in HWmonitor I read values from 0.83v to 1.74v. I had fans running at 50000rpm and stuff like that. Don't worry about it.
Finding out which name corresponds to which exact reading takes some work. Go to the bios monitor and note values in idle. These usually correspond to those in HWMonitor. In the bios they are labeled.

Solution

gerry410

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
Thanks for the info.
It seems a little peculiar that the referenced fans and temperature readings are not clearly defined. i figure the cpu has to be first (temp 0), the second (temp 1) is north bridge and I don't know what the third reading could be maybe a general mobo number.

As far as the fans go i figure fan 0 is cpu fan, fan2 is whatever fan is connected to the connector near the nb and the 3rd would be another fan connection on the mobo.

I have an asrock x58 extreme there are only 4 fan connections. the cpu, pwr, nb and a 4 pin fan controller connection. I guess i'll just switch them all around and through the process of elimination can figure it out.

Another question if you don't mind. What gets hooked up to the 4 pin at the bottom of the mobo? all my fans have 3 pins. It all seems very odd and uncertain when every thing else is pretty much an exact measurement.

thanks for your input.

Nils

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
A 4 pin fan connector is a PWM fan connector. This means the motherboard can control the fan's speed by giving pulses to the fan. The time between two pulses tells the fan how fast it must spin. So the fan is actually controlling the voltage on the motor according to signals given by the mobo.

Usually, all modern stock heatsinks from Intel have a PWM fan. So mostly a 4 pin connector is used for the cpu fan. Maybe you have an older mobo so this isn't the case.

*My Gigabyte board had the option of Voltage or PWM. I wasn't getting any fan control until I switched to the proper one.

Some motherboard solutions work from BIOS with no software. Others need additional drivers installed (see the motherboard site).

You should get a CPU stress test application like Orthos or other, the open up your case and observe that the CPU fan is indeed spinning up when stressed and slowing done when not needed.

I have my setup for the CPU fan control so that:
1) My fan does NOT spin usually when doing basic tasks (huge Heatsink)
2) I have sliders set to start the fan at 35degC/10% with LINEAR control to 80degC/100%.

I was shocked at how well the expensive Heatsink works (it's overkill really).

*There are several different types of solutions depending on the parts chosen:
1) the CPU fan is temperature controlled (i.e. 120mm PWM or Voltage)
2) you should have two 120mm fans (very low flow and low noise just to move the air. I have 500RPM fans). I have the case fans use the Molex 4-pins and run at a CONSTANT speed as the CPU fan kicks in to supplement air movement when needed.
3) quality PSU such as Corsair with internally controlled fan (I prefer to NOT have the PSU suck hot air in from the case. My output and input to the PSU are both outside the case.)
4) Graphics card (such as Vapor-X) with adequate cooling and noise levels. Some air should be sent out rear case vents on the card.

**If you do everything correctly then your graphics card will be the most noticeable (assuming a high-end card like the HD5870 or god-forbid NVIdia heating unit). For non-gamers you can often find passive graphics card but if you have a CPU fan that isn't always on it's critical to have two 120mm case fans (such as top rear and bottom front)