Closed Solved

How to calculate the thermal resistance?help

from china ,my english is not good.
i want to make a heat sink use Aluminium for a SCR, the aluminium thermal conductivity is about 200W/m.k, if the size of the piece of aluminium is 100mm x 100mm x1mm( lenght x width x thickness), can i get the result as below:

thermal resistance= thickness/ thermal conductivity .area=0.001/200 x 0.01 x 0.01=0.05 C/W

but this result seems too small, anything i make wrong?

Thanks!
3 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about calculate thermal resistance help
  1. Best answer
    royyang said:
    from china ,my english is not good.
    i want to make a heat sink use Aluminium for a SCR, the aluminium thermal conductivity is about 200W/m.k, if the size of the piece of aluminium is 100mm x 100mm x1mm( lenght x width x thickness), can i get the result as below:

thermal resistance= thickness/ thermal conductivity .area=0.001/200 x 0.01 x 0.01=0.05 C/W

but this result seems too small, anything i make wrong?

Thanks!

That actually isn't true as 100 mm is 0.1 m, not 0.01 m. The thermal resistance of a 100 mm x 100 mm x 1 mm sheet of aluminum is 0.0005 deg C/W. That number may look too good to be true as a good commercial heat sink may have a thermal resistance of 0.15 deg C/W, but this is because the thermal efficiency of the fins is less than 100%. The thermal resistance of an entire heatsink is as so:

R_hs = 1/(h * [area_of_HS_base + {number_of_fins * efficiency_of_fin * area_of_fin}])

where h = heat transfer coefficient of the fin.

That takes a decent amount of calculations to figure out (see here) and there really isn't enough space nor a good way to enter equations into the forum here (such as LaTex) so I won't do them here. However, that site has the equations you need to calculate how good of a heatsink your designs might be, so plug some numbers into it and see what you get.
  2. Best answer selected by mousemonkey.
  3. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Heatsinks Heat Overclocking