My motherboard running hot?

leok1723

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
My motherboard idles at a temp of 54 C. Is this a real problem?

Specs
Quad core Q9550 2.83gz Dark knight cooler
Radeon 4870x2 Sapphire
Asus p5q3 motherboard
Nzxt tempest case
700 watt Xion Real power psu
1900x1200 display

I'm wondering because my computer cuts out and restarts when i play crysis for a few minutes. I think it's my psu, but I'm going through all the checks before i buy a new one. I've tried to see the temps its around when it restarts, and they been around 56C a few minutes before it shuts down. Windows blames the drivers but I have the lastest drivers on a reinstalled Os. I'm just wondering if you think 54C is a real problem of heat that could cause this problem.

By motherboard you likely just mean the main chipset(s) which probably has a fan. If there's no chipset fan there's nothing you can do.

Open the case and observe your chipset fan after your computer has been doing nothing for at least 15 minutes. Now start something intensive and observe to see if the fan runs faster (you can use a piece of paper). If so, there's likely no worries with replacing the fan.

You should have at least a low-flow 120mm fan to move out case heat on top of other fans.

I do agree that it's likely your power supply or your chipset.

Other troubleshooting is to try one graphics card then another by itself. Run something like 3DMark in a continuous loop. If it's your PSU your problem might go away (less draw) if it's your chipset it will still probably occur. Not a perfect test, I know.

Another thing you could do is leave the side of the case off and blow a really big fan near or across your chipset to cool it as much as possible.

I think it is either your PSU or your chipset. If your PSU I like PC Power and Cooling.