How would you...

scryer_360

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
Take a mouse, keyboard, external CD/DVD drive and monitor Signal about 40 feet? I'm trying something new at a friends house where we will put the tower in another room, but in his office he will just have the above items.

I know we could go wireless on the keyboard and mouse, although he thinks that at that distance it would have to much lag (even worse than a lag induced by that amount of cabling). Still, how would we get a monitor with only DVI ports hooked up, and that CD/DVD drive is USB.

AKM880

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
Well are these products USB? If so there is LUCK! LOL. Theres a thingie called a USB Signal Repeater and it should resend the signal when its low/out of range. I personally haven't used these before so i have know idea how these perform. I have linked 2 USB extensions for a webcam though. The signal will be terribly degrading for this though. Use a repeater and a extension. Good luck!

I think the spec for dvi is 15 feet, and vga is 60 feet hdmi is 50 feet.

For the usb devices, it is 15 feet. You could use up to 5 usb hubs to get your required length.

Here is a company that I found that specialized in extenders. They are very pricey though:
http://www.gefen.com/

Perhaps the PC could go in a closet in the same room within 15 feet.

AKM880

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
VGA is 60ft? How the signal is stronger than DVi-I? Is it because the DVI has a larger signal because of the larger res.? This is interesting lol.