Sign in with
Your question

Supermicro PDSML-LN2+ looking for Raid 5 drivers for Linux

Last response: in Motherboards
June 18, 2009 12:48:24 AM

Guys,

I need your help. I just received 6 severs from CybertronPC, and they are all equiped with the following config:

* Intel Xeon X3220 2.40GHz Quad Core Processor
* Supermicro PDSML-LN2+ Motherboard
* 8192MB (8GB) DDR2 800MHz PC6400 Memory
* Triple 500GB 7,200RPM SATA2 RAID Edition Hard Drives in RAID 5 Array
* 22X DVD±RW Dual Layer Burner Drive
* Dual 10/100/1000 Gigabit Network Interface
* XGI Volari Graphics
* Mid-Tower Chassis with a 600Watt Power Supply
* Front Ports: (2) USB Ports
* Rear Ports : (2) USB 2.0, (2) PS/2, (1) Serial, (1) VGA, (2) RJ-45

My SysAdmin is having trouble getting Raid 5 to work with RHEL 5.3. I believe this Motherboard comes with built-in Intel Raid and Adaptec Raid chipset. Also, the Intel Raid chipset has Raid 5 functions.

Thanks in advance!
Sergio

June 18, 2009 7:13:53 AM

What OS will run these servers? Won't they allow RAID configuration?
a b V Motherboard
June 18, 2009 1:38:21 PM

Your best bet is to reach out to Red Hat and verify that specific hardware config is compatible with release 5.3.

Which RAID controller is the array on the Intel or the Adaptec? Red Hat may be able to provide drivers so the array will be recognized.

You may need to install another drive to install Red Hat onto and leave the RAID5 for data. Generally speaking, it is preferred to have the OS installed on it's on drive/array and whatever data on a seperate drive/array. I would not recommend installing the OS and maintaining data on the same RAID5 array.

Also, if your SysAdmin needs you to visit these forums to fix the problem, get a new SysAdmin!

Related resources
June 19, 2009 3:49:26 AM

All these servers will run Linux. My sysadmin wants to install Red Hat Linux Enterprise 5.3.

Also, here is a reply I got from Mfg of Server:

The drivers from SuperMicro's website are only stated to work with up to RHEL 4.0. I have looked through SuperMicro's FTP site as well to look for additional OS support that may not have been listed on the website - and was unable to find further support for the ICH7 controller. The two chipsets that are available onboard are actually different in their functionality. The Intel ICH7R controller supports the RAID functionality, while the Adaptec ICH7 controller supports the non-RAID and AHCI functionality of the board. Both controllers utilize the same ports on the motherboard.

For cases in which RAID driver support is unavailable from the motherboard manufacturer, CybertronPC recommends using a software based RAID 5 created within the RHEL installer. I have provided a link below with instructions on how you may create your RAID within the installer.
Please note that you will first need to disable the onboard RAID for the drives to be recognized by the RHEL installer.

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Ma...

Take care...
Sergio

le13enforce said:
What OS will run these servers? Won't they allow RAID configuration?

June 19, 2009 3:57:44 AM

Hi chunkymonster,

Thanks for reply.

My sysadmin suggested the Intel S3210SHLX motherboard, and decided based on Supermicro authorized rep info, to proceed with Supermicro PDSML-LN2+ motherboard. Here are some points that was shared:

• Supermicro mobo sells 10 to 1 vs Intel
  • Returns on intel mobo is higher than Supermicro
  • Supermicro will give me best bang for my buck

I took a risk, and proceeded with 6 servers, and I'm validating with this forum, if I made a good choice.

Take care...
    Sergio

chunkymonster said:
    Your best bet is to reach out to Red Hat and verify that specific hardware config is compatible with release 5.3.

Which RAID controller is the array on the Intel or the Adaptec? Red Hat may be able to provide drivers so the array will be recognized.

You may need to install another drive to install Red Hat onto and leave the RAID5 for data. Generally speaking, it is preferred to have the OS installed on it's on drive/array and whatever data on a seperate drive/array. I would not recommend installing the OS and maintaining data on the same RAID5 array.

Also, if your SysAdmin needs you to visit these forums to fix the problem, get a new SysAdmin!

June 27, 2009 5:14:24 AM

Guys,

I gave up on Supermicro PDSML-LN2+ mobo and decided to replace them with Intel S3210SHLC.

We were not able to build a stable Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.3 server with Raid 1 (hardware) with Supermicro PDSML-LN2+ motherboard. The Mfg mislead us...

I will let you know in a few days if Intel motherboard is a success.

Stay tuned....
    Sergio
    !