Sign in with
Your question

A couple general upgrading questions...

Last response: in Systems
January 24, 2009 3:34:48 AM

I am wondering...if I upgrade my motherboard, cpu, ram and video card(would have to wait - see question below) then will the new mobo detect and load windows after the installation since it will be the same sata drivers that were on my old setup? Like when you install XP and it asks you to hit F6 if you need to load sata drivers or whatever. Will the new build detect and work fine with my current sata drives and just have to reactivate windows as you must do when you significantly change your hardware?

Also, I've read where you can use a new PCI-E 2.0 card in an old PCI-E 1.0 slot and I'm assuming that it will work vice versa? Like a PCI-E 1.0 card in a PCI-E 2.0 slot?

You comments would be greatly appreciated. The way I typed it, that first question may seem a little confusing but let me know if you don't know what I'm talking about and I'll try to rephrase. Thanks.
January 25, 2009 5:30:01 PM

Well first of all it should just work and yes that was a bit confusing but.. wut im getting from it is ur asking if windows will still load of current harddrive with all new hardware.. The answer is somewut yes but no. As far as i kno i could be wrong.. your windows will boot but i bet thered be issues.. Drivers.. etc. Wut i would do is copy the data from ur current hardrive onto another if u got.. and if u want to keep data. then just wipe the drive clean and start fresh.. or if u have nuthing to save then just dump the drive and start fresh once again. Install all your new hardware and reload windows.. update ur drivers and u cant go wrong. Im sorry i cant give u a straight answer but im just not sure if thered be issues because of the drive seeing old hardware. But anyways. as for the pci thing. PCI 1.0 will work with both pci 1.0 and 2.0 but if you do use a 2.0 card on a 1.0 slot the preformance will be crippled. and yes u can use a 1.0 GPU in a 2.0 slot and youll just get pretty much the same preformance as before. Just go with a 2.0 card and 2.0 slot.. cant go wrong.
!