+12V out of spec New PSU

I recently built a new computer using the Enermax Modu82+ 625W power supply on a EP45-DS3L
In the bios the +12v rail is reading about 12.75v, i updated the bios but no improvement
Could it be because i made a mistake with the modular cabling? right now i have the atx main and 12v running off the main cables and a gtx260 running off one line with two 6pin+2 connectors
Is this high voltage going to cause any damage?
23 answers Last reply
More about spec
  1. It's slightly over spec but I would hope the VRMs on the card can sort it out. In the long run though, I would think this will shorten the life of your 260
  2. +12V +- 10% = 10.8V - 13.2V

    Conclusion: your readings are within spec. Also, voltage monitors aren't usually that accurate, use a multimeter to get a direct reading if you want to be precise.
  3. ATX spec was 5% i thought
  4. Not on the +12V line, only +3.3V and +5.0V are 5% afaik.
  5. hmm...
    this psu is supposed to be at corsair standards it was not cheap :/
    its only about a week old, ill test using a multimeter on a molex
  6. Wont be the first time the voltage sensors are wrong and after testing with a multimeter the actual value turned out to be something like 12.1V....

    But the really important thing is that the voltage remains stable during varying levels of power demand, and that it doesn't fluctuate much during this time.
  7. Its seemed fine so far, got a Q6700 OC'd to 3.4ghz and the gtx260 from 625/1350/1000 to 730/1463/1200 stable
    Ill go dig up a multimeter in a min
  8. sub mesa said:
    Not on the +12V line, only +3.3V and +5.0V are 5% afaik.


    +12V is also 5%.
  9. I would not worry if it is 11-13V
  10. ainarssems said:
    I would not worry if it is 11-13V


    70% out of spec is nothing to worry about?
  11. Out of tolerance 12 volt output wouldn't affect the PWM regulators for the CPU or GPU that much. But I suspect that the hard drive motors would not be so forgiving.
  12. You can use a multimeter and manually measure the voltage from an unused plug on the psu. You can see if it matches the bios reading. Just be careful when you do.
  13. I checked on a molex, the reading was 12.20V
  14. See ;-)

    The hardware sensors are often inaccurate, so you need a multimeter for real measurements. You could also check the 3.3V and +5V lines this way, and compare to how your sensors measure them. Then you also know what correction you have to do on the sensor readings to get a fair number.
  15. Phew, just read that it was 12.2v. If it was 12.75, you should unplug it and RMA is and start bashing the company. I called Corsair tech dep. and they told me atx standards was 5%, anything further and I believe they would RMA it. Up to you to RMA it or not, you have the choice since that's what BIOS tells you :)
  16. computabug said:
    Up to you to RMA it or not, you have the choice since that's what BIOS tells you :)


    Which is obviously incorrect.
  17. computabug said:
    Phew, just read that it was 12.2v. If it was 12.75, you should unplug it and RMA is and start bashing the company. I called Corsair tech dep. and they told me atx standards was 5%, anything further and I believe they would RMA it. Up to you to RMA it or not, you have the choice since that's what BIOS tells you :)

    I wouldn't say that's necessarily true. GPU-Z tells me my 4870x2's is running at 2,429,041,000,000 Hz. Yes, that's 2.43 terahertz. Do I have the ability to RMA it, as this is way out of spec? Absolutely not (yes, this is an extreme example). IMHO, you should always check a PSU with a multimeter if you suspect it of being out of spec, rather than just trusting BIOS/software. For example, Everest tells me that both my 5V and 12V (Corsair HX1000W) are out of spec, at 5.43 and 12.83V respectively. However, when properly measured, they measure in at 5.05 and 12.11V, well within spec. It's such a common occurrence that to RMA based on the sensor readings alone would be rather stupid.
  18. cjl said:
    I wouldn't say that's necessarily true. GPU-Z tells me my 4870x2's is running at 2,429,041,000,000 Hz. Yes, that's 2.43 terahertz. Do I have the ability to RMA it, as this is way out of spec? Absolutely not (yes, this is an extreme example).


    gpu-z is in beta ^.^

    Ok you've proved your point, but still, BIOS takes reading with some load on the psu, while a multimeter or whatever it was takes measures at like 0.000001% load. Then again, taking a measure while the psu is loaded should yield lower voltages... :pt1cable:
  19. computabug said:
    BIOS takes reading with some load on the psu, while a multimeter or whatever it was takes measures at like 0.000001% load.


    BIOS readings are at idle, multimeter readings can be taken at idle or load (entirely up to the measurer).
  20. computabug said:
    :pt1cable:


    I don't understand your point. Do you actually think displaying a low-res 2-D screen somehow loads the CPU or video card?
  21. No, just meant that I had an "oh, I'm an idiot" moment.
  22. computabug said:
    No, just meant that I had an "oh, I'm an idiot" moment.


    Happens to us all! :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies BIOS Components