Users & Documents and Settings Configuration

dick

I had to reinstall WinXP on my machine and when I defined
the users I used different names than I had previously.
After I was satisfied that everything was carried over, I
changed the user names to what they used to be. That
leads to the question....

Windows created a new folder under "Documents and
Settings" that reflected the changed names, however XP
seems to link things to both the new folder and the older
user folder and I haven't seen the logic in it yet (but
I'm sure it's there). Is there anyway to configure XP to
reference only one set of folders for a user instead of
the two that I now have? If someone changes their name
again this could really pile up folders under Documents
and Settings.

Thanks,
Dick

"Dick" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Windows created a new folder under "Documents and
>Settings" that reflected the changed names, however XP
>seems to link things to both the new folder and the older
>user folder and I haven't seen the logic in it yet (but
>I'm sure it's there).

At a DOS prompt type
SET
and check the settings here. This will tell you, what users folders
are in use. You can safely delete all other users folders (but leave
the system folders alone like ALL USERS, LOCAL SERVICE and NETWORK
SERVICE.

--
(tm)