Sign in with
Your question

New media PC died after an hour

Last response: in Systems
January 24, 2009 8:13:24 AM

Hi People,

Let me tell you about my latest build and the problems I have with it. Although I have come to a conclusion about what is wrong, I would like to hear what you make of it.

After my recent build (a quad-core, state-of-the-art Linux workhorse), I decided to recycle some old working components into a media PC for the living room. I already had an Intel dual core processor, two Corsair 1GB DDR2 memory capsules and several SATA hard drives. I bought an MSI P7NGM Digial motherboard, an Antec Fusion chassis, an LG blue-ray player, and an Antec NEO HE 430 PSU.

So I put everything together and turned it on. It started immediately. Usually, there is always something I tend to forget, resulting in several hours of trouble-shooting before I find out that I've overlooked something rather trivial. This time, however, I had no such problems. But then I tried to install an OS on it...

I wanted Windows on this box so that I could play my favorite computer games again. The installation program puttered on for a good while, but before completion, the PC just died. Abruptly and without even a squeak. I tried to boot it up again, but to no avail.

I disconnected everything except the power cables to the motherboard, CPU and the fans. When I pressed the power-on button, it glowed blue as it should, but only for a fraction of a second. Nothing else happened, not a even a twitch from the fans.

Okay, maybe the PSU is bad, I thought, so I plugged in another I which I know is working. Same effect.

Removed the memory capsules. Nada.

I replaced the CPU with one from another (working) machine. Still nothing.

Even without its cooler, the CPU would not even get lukewarm when I pressed the power-on button.

Then I yanked out the power cord for the CPU. Lo and behold - the fans started spinning. I re-plugged the blue-ray player, the HDD and the memory. They also now started when powered on. But when I restored power to the CPU, I got the same big nothing again.

My conclusion here is that I got a defect motherboard. What are your reactions?

More about : media died hour

a c 113 B Homebuilt system
January 24, 2009 9:09:12 AM

That's probably right. You tested any other possibility.

As long as the motherboard standoffs are right, and there is nothing else that could cause a short, then the MB is bad.
January 24, 2009 9:25:03 PM

When I first built my computer it would not turn on because the MOBO was shorting with the case.

Take the MOBO completely out of the case and put it on a box or something. Connect the PSU and see if it boots. If so, then you need standoffs for the MOBO to stop it from shorting.
January 25, 2009 1:14:11 PM

Good idea, sad panda!

I'll see what the motherboard does when not attached to the case before I return the board.
!