Sign in with
Your question

MSI Motherboard K9VGM MS-7253

Last response: in Motherboards
June 18, 2009 4:54:00 PM

Hello I have visited this site before and found a lot of helpful information and now I'm inn need of some help with a MSI K9VGM-V motherboard that I had purchased in last year. Now I'm having a problem where computer wont boot from the DVD ROM DRIVE and keeps saying BOOT DISK FAILURE PLEASE INSERT SYSTEM DISK then when I restart the machine it just stops but the fans keep running and it takes forever to turn on and sometimes it just will not start at all I have run out of ideas but i know the 3 hard drives that I have tried are all good and working the processor is cool too and it has 2gigs of kingston RAM please your advice is really needed because I'm at the point where I'm ready to rip it out of the case

Thank you
June 18, 2009 5:23:25 PM

Hey, when you say your PC will not bot from dvd rom drive...what exactly do you mean...it doesnt give you the option or it gives you the option but it does nothing???
June 18, 2009 5:42:38 PM

dmercer109 said:
Hey, when you say your PC will not bot from dvd rom drive...what exactly do you mean...it doesnt give you the option or it gives you the option but it does nothing???

It gives me the option but it does nothing at all its almost like the DVD ROM drive isn't even there
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
June 18, 2009 5:47:26 PM

Okay, so do you have it set in the Bios for the DVD drive to be your first boot device or are you going through your shortcut key like F-12 or something for a boot menu. If you set the DVD drive to be your first boot device and it still does not recognize it i would make sure your bios is seeing your DVD drive. If it isn't then that's a problem right there. If it is then i would check them media that is in the drive. Is the CD/DVD you are booting from known to be good?
June 18, 2009 6:51:07 PM

dmercer109 said:
Okay, so do you have it set in the Bios for the DVD drive to be your first boot device or are you going through your shortcut key like F-12 or something for a boot menu. If you set the DVD drive to be your first boot device and it still does not recognize it i would make sure your bios is seeing your DVD drive. If it isn't then that's a problem right there. If it is then i would check them media that is in the drive. Is the CD/DVD you are booting from known to be good?

Yes I set the DVD ROM drive to be the first boot device but thats not working neither is any of the other drive that I tried and they are all in good working condition and are fairly new and I even tried to get around this booting issue by using harddrives with windows already installed on them but nothing works I even disconnected every single thing and reconnected and replaced the memory but its like that only made things worse now the computer the computer wont even reboot

Oh yeah and the XP cd is good also
June 18, 2009 6:56:30 PM

Will the computer post? If it will post and it does not try to load from any hard drive then it could be the controller that you are using for the HD. Is it IDE or Serial. If its serial try plugging it in to another Serial port. Let me know what you find out.
June 18, 2009 7:06:12 PM

dmercer109 said:
Will the computer post? If it will post and it does not try to load from any hard drive then it could be the controller that you are using for the HD. Is it IDE or Serial. If its serial try plugging it in to another Serial port. Let me know what you find out.

Yeah it runs post and detects all the drives the original hard drive is SATA and I even tried 3 different IDE hard drives but its just more of the same
June 18, 2009 7:17:10 PM

well, i would say remove the Cmos battery or reset the jumper on your motherboard. When did the problem start? Have you ever reset the jumper for the cmos before? we will eventually get your problem fixed lol :) 
June 18, 2009 7:17:34 PM

I have tried so many things I have run out of ideas
June 18, 2009 7:19:41 PM

how new...has it ever worked..and what i mean by this is did it come out of another computer and this is the first time that you have used it in your computer. If it was working in another computer and you put it in your computer it could have jumpers on the back of it that should be set to master if it is an IDE drive.
June 18, 2009 7:48:07 PM

dmercer109 said:
how new...has it ever worked..and what i mean by this is did it come out of another computer and this is the first time that you have used it in your computer. If it was working in another computer and you put it in your computer it could have jumpers on the back of it that should be set to master if it is an IDE drive.

They are all new
June 18, 2009 7:49:21 PM

IDE or Sata...if IDE will you post the model number...also...if the Sata hd that you plugged up has an os on it and you leave the dvd rom unplugged..what does it do?
June 18, 2009 7:54:27 PM

dmercer109 said:
IDE or Sata...if IDE will you post the model number...

I can't get to them right now because I'm at work but all the drives work in other machines when I tested them before and after installing them in my computer
June 18, 2009 8:10:40 PM

yea, im at work too...well from what I have gathered...here is what we have come up with.

With all Hard drives plugged in and CD ROM you cannot boot from the DVD. It doesn't give you the option to boot from the DVD and you are getting the error "boot disk failure". This could mean that the cable going to the drive is bad but i ruled this one out because you said that other drives work with it. Next i would say it would depend what cable you have plugged up to it. If its IDE then the jumper on the back of it has to be in the correct position whether it be cable select, master, or slave. The same goes for the CD Rom drive. If it is brand new and you just put it in there then you should look on the back of it for which jumper it is set on. Next the sata cable could be bad and this would explain why it happens to every HD that you try. If there is a bent connector inside of the cable then it would not work correctly. I would say check the cable then check the jumpers and then check the boot order. If the HD is a sata hd try replacing the cable with a known good one. Replacing a cable is a lot cheaper than replacing a HD. Sata drives do not require a jumper since there is no master or slave for sata. You will need to tell an IDE whether it is master or slave even if it is the only one plugged into the IDE cable. Most of the time people set it to Cable Select and this will let the Mobo decide depending on which connector on the cable it is plugged into. (Sorry if you knew all of this, i do not know your level of PC knowledge) After you have determined that its not the HD and not the CD and that all jumpers are correct try resetting your CMOS battery. This should clear your bios. This should not fix your problem but by this stage your in the final steps before your purchasing new hardware so anything is worth a shot :)  Other things that could determine it are stupid things such as power cables. I hate to admit it but i have spent hours working on a hd inside of windows because it would not show up under my computer to realize that i had a pin inside of my power cable that was broken and missing. Make sure that the power is plugged up and not falling out. If you have a modular power supply, verify that both ends of the cable are plugged up both at the power supply and the device. After you have done all of this and it still doesnt work you will have to substitute things out. The chances of you having 3 bad HD's in a row are slim especially after you have pulled them out of a computer that you know they worked in 8). After that its prob. going to be your controller whether it be Sata or IDE. I hope this helps and maybe you will get it fixed. If you have anymore information about it feel free to dump it on here and i will try my best to help as much as i can.
June 18, 2009 8:36:53 PM

dmercer109 said:
yea, im at work too...well from what I have gathered...here is what we have come up with.

With all Hard drives plugged in and CD ROM you cannot boot from the DVD. It doesn't give you the option to boot from the DVD and you are getting the error "boot disk failure". This could mean that the cable going to the drive is bad but i ruled this one out because you said that other drives work with it. Next i would say it would depend what cable you have plugged up to it. If its IDE then the jumper on the back of it has to be in the correct position whether it be cable select, master, or slave. The same goes for the CD Rom drive. If it is brand new and you just put it in there then you should look on the back of it for which jumper it is set on. Next the sata cable could be bad and this would explain why it happens to every HD that you try. If there is a bent connector inside of the cable then it would not work correctly. I would say check the cable then check the jumpers and then check the boot order. If the HD is a sata hd try replacing the cable with a known good one. Replacing a cable is a lot cheaper than replacing a HD. Sata drives do not require a jumper since there is no master or slave for sata. You will need to tell an IDE whether it is master or slave even if it is the only one plugged into the IDE cable. Most of the time people set it to Cable Select and this will let the Mobo decide depending on which connector on the cable it is plugged into. (Sorry if you knew all of this, i do not know your level of PC knowledge) After you have determined that its not the HD and not the CD and that all jumpers are correct try resetting your CMOS battery. This should clear your bios. This should not fix your problem but by this stage your in the final steps before your purchasing new hardware so anything is worth a shot :)  Other things that could determine it are stupid things such as power cables. I hate to admit it but i have spent hours working on a hd inside of windows because it would not show up under my computer to realize that i had a pin inside of my power cable that was broken and missing. Make sure that the power is plugged up and not falling out. If you have a modular power supply, verify that both ends of the cable are plugged up both at the power supply and the device. After you have done all of this and it still doesnt work you will have to substitute things out. The chances of you having 3 bad HD's in a row are slim especially after you have pulled them out of a computer that you know they worked in 8). After that its prob. going to be your controller whether it be Sata or IDE. I hope this helps and maybe you will get it fixed. If you have anymore information about it feel free to dump it on here and i will try my best to help as much as i can.

I tried just about everything you outlined because I some level of IT training but I have never seen anything like this before I knew I should not have purchased that board because it wont even reboot when I hit reboot button (the case has a reboot button on it) it just stops and the fans keep spinning but the strangest thing is that when i power down the machine to check the connections and to see if the RAM and cables are seated properly when I flick the switch on the power supply the fans and drives start running without me pushing the power button and the motherboard doesn't boot and I have to press the power button for a minute before the board runs post and then all madness starts again

I don't think I'll buy another MSI board again
June 18, 2009 8:53:48 PM

Check to make sure that the MOBO isnt grounding out. Make sure that you have standoff's between your motherboard and case. If it is making connection somewhere or there is a bad ground then that could be causing the problem. Also check your wires coming from the power switch. Unplug the power and reset switch from the front of the case on your Motherboard. turn the switch on then and if it still does it it may be the motherboard :(  If it does come on then make sure that all the wires are plugged up to the motherboard such as the main power and the 12v power. Then if you haven't already try resetting your cmos jumper. if the pc doesnt come on when you unplug the front power switch's wire then plug it up and make a connection between the 2 pins that the power switch was plugged up to . If that works then you know its the switch for the front of the case but i do not think that is going to be the case here unless its a new build and you have never used it before. I hope everything works for you man. Let me know how it goes. If you have anymore questions its Dmercer109@gmail.com
June 18, 2009 9:25:01 PM

dmercer109 said:
Check to make sure that the MOBO isnt grounding out. Make sure that you have standoff's between your motherboard and case. If it is making connection somewhere or there is a bad ground then that could be causing the problem. Also check your wires coming from the power switch. Unplug the power and reset switch from the front of the case on your Motherboard. turn the switch on then and if it still does it it may be the motherboard :(  If it does come on then make sure that all the wires are plugged up to the motherboard such as the main power and the 12v power. Then if you haven't already try resetting your cmos jumper. if the pc doesnt come on when you unplug the front power switch's wire then plug it up and make a connection between the 2 pins that the power switch was plugged up to . If that works then you know its the switch for the front of the case but i do not think that is going to be the case here unless its a new build and you have never used it before. I hope everything works for you man. Let me know how it goes. If you have anymore questions its Dmercer109@gmail.com

thanks I'll try that when I get home and let you know how it worked out
July 1, 2009 12:05:35 AM

I had this same issue, I forgot to set my IDE DVD-RW Drive to Master, so there were two drives set to Slave. This caused the error.
It was easily fixed once I set one drive to Master and the other to Slave.
July 1, 2009 2:03:20 PM

weapon_x said:
I had this same issue, I forgot to set my IDE DVD-RW Drive to Master, so there were two drives set to Slave. This caused the error.
It was easily fixed once I set one drive to Master and the other to Slave.

I did that too but it didn't work so I'm going to buy a new motherboard cause the board won't even reboot when I push the restart button
July 6, 2009 10:12:24 PM

Exactly the same issue. Spent 5 hours on my sons computer yesterday. Brand new SATA CD/DVD drive (replaced old one because the system gave the error message "BOOT DISK FAILURE PLEASE INSERT SYSTEM DISK") , brand new SATA HD. Tried all the stuff that was described above. BIOS recognizes them both. Sometimes will start to boot off of DVD-drive and then will stop...other times, it will give error message as described above. I've been building computers (hobbiest) since the early 90's. This is the craziest thing that I have ever seen. Tried, just for the heck of it, hooking up an "A" drive and formatted a fresh 3 1/2" floppy as a Windows 98 boot-disk (just to see if it would work off of another drive). It didn't recognize that as a boot drive/disk either.

So much for throwing a new hard drive in and starting fresh....
Glad its not just me.....
July 15, 2009 2:14:58 PM

I'm still trying to solve the problem for the fun of it and nothing seems to work I think in a case like this its just easier to buy a new board
July 18, 2009 5:17:39 PM

I'm going to stop by today and take another crack at my sons computer (he's a starving collge student). I have long since misplaced (tossed) the manual for this board, but I am thinking that there may be a boot sector protection switch in the bios that I may have activated. This prevents viruses from attacking the boot sector. Not sure. If you figure it out, let me know. I will let you know if I find anything later today.
August 19, 2009 7:31:10 AM

my_board_is_crap said:
I'm still trying to solve the problem for the fun of it and nothing seems to work I think in a case like this its just easier to buy a new board

Update the BIOS from the MSI Website. All good now!!!
December 3, 2009 2:31:16 AM

I had the same exact thing happen to me on a ASUS motherboard. Have your RAM checked! Mine was bad.
!