Need advice before I buy liquid cooling parts

cok3r

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2007
After much research I am about to order my first liquid cooling system

Being my first system, any feedback would be appreciated!

I will be putting it in an Antec 1200 (Red Theme) with the following components:

Core i7 930
Asus P6X58D-E
6 Gigabytes of Triple channel GSkill Ripjaw
XFX 5870
2 Western Digital Caviar Blacks in Raid 0
Western Digital Raptor
X-Fi Gamer
Antec 1000w

I want to start by just Liquid cooling the i7 and later on when the warranty for the xfx expires, add a water block to the 5870.

So here is what I have so far:

Swiftech Apogee XT CPU Waterblock

Swiftech MCP655 12v DC Pump - with Speed Controller

EK-Multioption RES X2 - 250 Advanced

Swiftech MCR320-QP Quiet Power 3X120mm - Black

EK High Flow Fittings G 1/4 to 1/2in. ID Barb x 4

Breeze Miniature Hose Clamp 7/16 in. to 25/32 in. X 10

PrimoFlex Pro LRT UV Red Tubing - 1/2in. ID X 3/4in. OD

I am unsure of the coolant I want to add ….. What do you suggest? I think I want to go with the most Non Conductive coolant I can find (being my first liquid cooling build)

Are the gains of adding a motherboard water block? Worth it?

I already have the red fans … How is UV going to play with red lighting? Anything I need to add or change to get the best lighting I can?

What are the best fans for this Rad? (I will be mounting it on the back btw via the radbox

Thanks!!

-Chris

lowriderflow

Distinguished
No real reason to add a mobo waterblock... as long as you still have some fans in your case, you will be fine. (i.e. at leaast and intake and exhaust fan)

Also... i noticed a serious flaw in your idea to 'liquid cool the video card when warranty is up' - XFX has lifetime warranty!!!!!!!!!!!
*lets say you go with a different brand that has a 2 year warranty... in 2 years it will probly be cheaper and more cost effective just to buy a new $150 video card than to go through setting up a whole new loop for your video card.

cok3r

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2007
I see, I figured that removing the stock heatsink would void the cards warrenty (however long it was)... but I see your point that a lifetime warranty would never expire anyways heh (I was not aware it was lifetime).

I guess the question would change to is liquid cooling your GPU worth it (as far as voiding the cards warrenty, and the extra money spent)? If so, what would be the best priced 5870 waterblock?

And is the radiator going to be enough to cool the card as well as the i7 OC'ed to 3.6 - 4.0

Thanks!