Closed Solved

How to find windows 7 product key

I have Windows 7 Home Premium through digitalriver that I purchased with the student discount. I built a new rig and installed Windows 7 on there but I can't find the key, my school has wiped the email system during an upgrade and being smart I didnt think to save it.

I have tried Magical jellybean keyfinder and a few other programs but it doesn't show the right key for Windows 7.

I have contacted MS and DR. Digital River said MS handles it all now, and MS wasnt very helpful. Am I stuck with having to buy another student discounted key for a product I already own?
17 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about find windows product
  1. I used Magical Jellybean the other day and it worked fine, I think I got mine from Cnet, there are allot of infected ones.
  2. Magical Jellybean works on Win7! I confirm
  3. Best answer
    The key that magic finds is the key that activated your copy of windows!
  4. Hmm howcome when I used the Windows 7 key it doesnt work?, even my friend used it on his computer and it didnt show the proper key I can try again..
  5. I have used this app for a few years and it has always given me the correct key
  6. SR-71 Blackbird said:
    I have used this app for a few years and it has always given me the correct key

Just tried it on a laptop that came with windows 7 OEM, the key doesnt match the key on the bottom of the laptop (downloaded application from cnet) I get a CD-Key (which doesnt match) and a Product ID. (along with the other info)
  7. Have you tried the phone activation with the key on the bottom of the laptop?
  8. This isnt for the laptop (I was jsut testing it on the laptop to double check if the key it found matched) This is for my 2500k build.
  9. oh ok,it should work!
  10. You didn't install windows over the top, and then try and use the key finder did you?
  11. No this is a new build, new hdd. The old system still works, I grabbed the key before I removed the power supply and put it into the new system.
  12. Well this is what was done to get my key. I mounted the old HDD in my new rig, downloaded ProduKey and told it to look at H:\Windows (Hold HDD install) and it found a different Windows 7 key and I typed it in and it activated! Maybe Windows was encrypting the key?
  13. Best answer selected by Snipergod87.
  14. Snipergod87 said:
    Well this is what was done to get my key. I mounted the old HDD in my new rig, downloaded ProduKey and told it to look at H:\Windows (Hold HDD install) and it found a different Windows 7 key and I typed it in and it activated! Maybe Windows was encrypting the key?

^ I think so,
  15. Combat Wombat said:
    ^ I think so,

If so that make sense, thanks for your help guys
  16. Snipergod87 said:
    Just tried it on a laptop that came with windows 7 OEM, the key doesnt match the key on the bottom of the laptop (downloaded application from cnet) I get a CD-Key (which doesnt match) and a Product ID. (along with the other info)

This is normal. Royalty OEM machines come pre-installed with different keys than the one on the COA.
  17. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows 7