Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Looking for AM3 heatsink w/ PWM

Last response: in Overclocking
July 22, 2010 8:33:50 PM

Looking to replace the stock cooler on my Phenom II X4 965. Key concerns (in order) are budget :fou:  , noise :love:  , decent performance :wahoo:  (both idle and load), and size. I would also like one with a 4-pin PWM fan to take advantage of the MB feature.

Basic build info:
AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (have not attempted to overclock since I have a stock fan)
Asus M4A89GTD Pro/USB3
Sonata case w/ 120mm fans (I know it is old, but is very quiet and sturdy. The PSU has been updated.)

Thanks in advance for your help. :sol: 

More about : am3 heatsink pwm

July 22, 2010 9:22:26 PM

ChromeTusk said:
Looking to replace the stock cooler on my Phenom II X4 965. Key concerns (in order) are budget :fou:  , noise :love:  , decent performance :wahoo:  (both idle and load), and size. I would also like one with a 4-pin PWM fan to take advantage of the MB feature.

Basic build info:
AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (have not attempted to overclock since I have a stock fan)
Asus M4A89GTD Pro/USB3
Sonata case w/ 120mm fans (I know it is old, but is very quiet and sturdy. The PSU has been updated.)

Thanks in advance for your help. :sol: 

Check if a Hyper 212+ fits your case.
m
l
a c 183 K Overclocking
July 23, 2010 3:58:52 AM

Any cooler that fits will work if you want pwm control some come fitted with pwm fans.
If it doesn't just buy a pwm fan that fits the cooler.
Chango99 suggestion is a very good one.
m
l
Related resources
July 23, 2010 7:59:36 PM

Chango99 said:
Check if a Hyper 212+ fits your case.

Most the reviews I have read about the 212+ say it works really well for the price, but it can get pretty loud. Please correct me if I am wrong.
m
l
July 23, 2010 8:05:59 PM

davcon said:
Any cooler that fits will work if you want pwm control some come fitted with pwm fans.
If it doesn't just buy a pwm fan that fits the cooler.
Chango99 suggestion is a very good one.

How much could I save if I bought an inexpensive cooler and bought a replacement PWM fan. Wouldn't it be closer to buying a good cooler that already had a good PWM fan?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
July 23, 2010 8:18:17 PM

ChromeTusk said:
How much could I save if I bought an inexpensive cooler and bought a replacement PWM fan. Wouldn't it be closer to buying a good cooler that already had a good PWM fan?

get a decent cooler that already comes with a decent fan, don't skimp on the cooler.
m
l
July 23, 2010 8:31:55 PM

OvrClkr said:
get a decent cooler that already comes with a decent fan, don't skimp on the cooler.

That's what I thought; if I want PWM functionality, I should already look for one installed on a good cooler.

BTW, thanks for the links earlier. Those things are HUGE.
m
l

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
July 23, 2010 8:42:39 PM

ChromeTusk said:
That's what I thought; if I want PWM functionality, I should already look for one installed on a good cooler.

BTW, thanks for the links earlier. Those things are HUGE.

Most 120mm coolers come with a PMW (4pin) fan. Don't worry about the fan, just get a decent cooler.
a b K Overclocking
July 25, 2010 12:54:21 AM

ChromeTusk said:

buy something that you wont regret later;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
August 12, 2010 4:09:54 AM

Best answer selected by Chrometusk.
m
l
!