Solved

Looking for AM3 heatsink w/ PWM

Looking to replace the stock cooler on my Phenom II X4 965. Key concerns (in order) are budget :fou: , noise :love: , decent performance :wahoo: (both idle and load), and size. I would also like one with a 4-pin PWM fan to take advantage of the MB feature.

Basic build info:
AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (have not attempted to overclock since I have a stock fan)
Asus M4A89GTD Pro/USB3
Sonata case w/ 120mm fans (I know it is old, but is very quiet and sturdy. The PSU has been updated.)

Thanks in advance for your help. :sol:
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about looking heatsink
  1. ChromeTusk said:
    Looking to replace the stock cooler on my Phenom II X4 965. Key concerns (in order) are budget :fou: , noise :love: , decent performance :wahoo: (both idle and load), and size. I would also like one with a 4-pin PWM fan to take advantage of the MB feature.

    Basic build info:
    AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (have not attempted to overclock since I have a stock fan)
    Asus M4A89GTD Pro/USB3
    Sonata case w/ 120mm fans (I know it is old, but is very quiet and sturdy. The PSU has been updated.)

    Thanks in advance for your help. :sol:


    Check if a Hyper 212+ fits your case.
  2. Any cooler that fits will work if you want pwm control some come fitted with pwm fans.
    If it doesn't just buy a pwm fan that fits the cooler.
    Chango99 suggestion is a very good one.
  3. Chango99 said:
    Check if a Hyper 212+ fits your case.


    Most the reviews I have read about the 212+ say it works really well for the price, but it can get pretty loud. Please correct me if I am wrong.
  4. davcon said:
    Any cooler that fits will work if you want pwm control some come fitted with pwm fans.
    If it doesn't just buy a pwm fan that fits the cooler.
    Chango99 suggestion is a very good one.


    How much could I save if I bought an inexpensive cooler and bought a replacement PWM fan. Wouldn't it be closer to buying a good cooler that already had a good PWM fan?
  5. ChromeTusk said:
    How much could I save if I bought an inexpensive cooler and bought a replacement PWM fan. Wouldn't it be closer to buying a good cooler that already had a good PWM fan?


    get a decent cooler that already comes with a decent fan, don't skimp on the cooler.
  6. OvrClkr said:
    get a decent cooler that already comes with a decent fan, don't skimp on the cooler.


    That's what I thought; if I want PWM functionality, I should already look for one installed on a good cooler.

    BTW, thanks for the links earlier. Those things are HUGE.
  7. Best answer
    ChromeTusk said:
    That's what I thought; if I want PWM functionality, I should already look for one installed on a good cooler.

    BTW, thanks for the links earlier. Those things are HUGE.


    Most 120mm coolers come with a PMW (4pin) fan. Don't worry about the fan, just get a decent cooler.
  8. ChromeTusk said:
    How much could I save if I bought an inexpensive cooler and bought a replacement PWM fan. Wouldn't it be closer to buying a good cooler that already had a good PWM fan?


    buy something that you wont regret later;
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835227006&cm_re=alc-_-35-227-006-_-Product
  9. Best answer selected by Chrometusk.
Ask a new question

Read More

Heatsinks Phenom Overclocking Product