Sign in with
Your question

Hd 3850 (psu connection)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 18, 2009 7:17:42 PM

hey guys im planning on getting the hd 3850 AGP but my current PSU doesnt power it.. so im getting a new PSU as well. the card specifies that it needs a 8 pin power connector. does that mean it needs 2x4 molex? if im wrong then please correct me cuz all the PSUs i have been looking at only have a pcie 1x6. im a very confused noob so pleas HELP!

thanks

More about : 3850 psu connection

Related resources
February 18, 2009 10:19:58 PM

dude, on neweggs website, on the pictures of the card the very last picture will show you what type of connector u need to power the card, in this case the connector is a dual 4 pin molex cable with a pci-e header on it for the card.....
February 18, 2009 10:41:52 PM

uh..... ok a dual 4 pin u say? does it come with the unit? or do i have to purchase it? like an adapter
February 18, 2009 11:13:33 PM

u have 2 choices.....use the dual 4 pin molex to pci-e or just use a pci-e plug from the power supply.....pci-e plugs are 6 pin and i doubt that AGP cards will require any more power then the pci-e version

according to newegg.....retail means everything comes in the box.....oem/open box only the card
February 19, 2009 1:20:13 AM

oh are you serious?? no cables or anything?!

and i just found out the powercolor hd 3850 has a 6 pin so i guess if i go with that il be set.

if i get a new PSU that has all the cables and everything then i wont need the boxed cables in the retail unit, right?
February 19, 2009 3:15:15 AM

i have a force3d 3850 and i use the 6 pin pci-e from my power supply. sometimes newegg sells just the card for a bit cheaper.....got mine on ebay for 60
!